Why couldn't we use the money we were gonna

Jordan4life_2007

I was just thinkin. I realize that we're on a 60 million dollar budget or whatever. But we offered Bartolo somethin like a 3 year 36 million dollar offer to stay with us. Obviously he truned it down. So why didn't we use that money to go after another starter or help us out at another position where we are weak? Help me out if u can guys....

I was just thinkin.  I realize that we're on a 60 million dollar budget or whatever.  But we offered Bartolo somethin like a 3 year 36 million dollar offer to stay with us.  Obviously he truned it down.  So why didn't we use that money to go after another starter or help us out at another position where we are weak?  Help me out if u can guys....

Because JR put that money up for Bartolo only.

If the Sox signed Colon, they would have had to move someone else to stay within budget. Right now they are a few million over the projected budget as it is.

The idea that Colon could have been signed to that big contract and everybody else would have been kept is a fallacy. Wasn't gonna happen.

If the Sox signed Colon, they would have had to move someone else to stay within budget.  Right now they are a few million over the projected budget as it is. 

The idea that Colon could have been signed to that big contract and everybody else would have been kept is a fallacy.  Wasn't gonna happen.

Ya think? It seems that in the past JR will pay for perceived quality. So you think they would've dumped like a Koch and Konerko, replace them with bottom of the barrel players, just to keep Colon? I don't know man, I think I buy into the theory that the money was there ONLY for Colon, once he left it was off the table.

I was just thinkin.  I realize that we're on a 60 million dollar budget or whatever.  But we offered Bartolo somethin like a 3 year 36 million dollar offer to stay with us.  Obviously he truned it down.  So why didn't we use that money to go after another starter or help us out at another position where we are weak?  Help me out if u can guys....

Some here will tell you that it was used to sign C Lee and M Buehrle.

....and all I have to do is sell the house and car to get it.

It happens all the time.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

My father bought a Corvette a year or so agin, full well knowing he was going to have to sell his old one to be able to afford it. He wasn't looking for just any Corvette, but found one he really liked. If he chose not to buy that Corvette and hung onto his old one, that wouldn't mean it was a lie that he considered or tried to buy the newer one.

Because it was all a lie.

It may not have been a lie but it was an offer that JR was 99.9% sure that Colon wouldn't accept..... 3 yrs/$36 million or so but the SouthTown reported that it was heavily incentive laden w/salary deferments.

So when BC leaves, JR and KW can exclaim, "We tried to resign BC. He just wanted more money than the $12 million a year we offered him."

Ya think?  It seems that in the past JR will pay for perceived quality.  So you think they would've dumped like a Koch and Konerko, replace them with bottom of the barrel players, just to keep Colon?  I don't know man, I think I buy into the theory that the money was there ONLY for Colon, once he left it was off the table.

KW has said as much. He said they would have had to move other pieces around to make Colon fit into the budget. He just didn't say which ones.

Why did anyone even want the Sox to resign Colon anyways? He was fat, lazy and apathetic. Plus, he's a pitcher in decline. He will almost certainly bust in Anaheim.

Why tie up valuable payroll with Colon? Its bad enough that declining Buehrle is clogging up payroll space, don't have to have another run down pitcher on the team too.

Why tie up valuable payroll with Colon?  Its bad enough that declining Buehrle is clogging up payroll space, don't have to have another run down pitcher on the team too.

Buerhle is declining? He has one bad 1/2 of a season and hes declining. What Buerhle are you watching.

It may not have been a lie but it was an offer that JR was 99.9% sure that Colon wouldn't accept..... 3 yrs/$36 million or so but the SouthTown reported that it was heavily incentive laden w/salary deferments.

So when BC leaves, JR and KW can exclaim, "We tried to resign BC. He just wanted more money than the $12 million a year we offered him."

And he GOT more than the $12 million a year they offered him.

there may be a great deal of truth there CK...

sadly

or not sadly, I was never impressed that much by Colon but I would nto have minded re-signing him

Why did anyone even want the Sox to resign Colon anyways?  He was fat, lazy and apathetic.  Plus, he's a pitcher in decline.  He will almost certainly bust in Anaheim.

Why tie up valuable payroll with Colon?  Its bad enough that declining Buehrle is clogging up payroll space, don't have to have another run down pitcher on the team too.

242 innings pitched. 242 innings pitched. 242 innings pitched.

I would not have been thrilled with the $$ he would (did) get.. but 242 innings pitched... that is going to be sorely missed.

I would not have been thrilled with the $$ he would (did) get.. but 242 innings pitched... that is going to be sorely missed.

and that is the flip side to my not being fond of Colon

so I really have no one opinion on this because it could go either way

Colon was a good pitcher for us and will be missed.

Some days his fastball was just right and it always seemed to freeze batters when it would tail back towards right handers.

But 12 mil is about where the White Sox could afford him.

If we are saying we dont have 12-13 mil for Maggs and All-Star, then we really dont have that amount of money for Colon who was good but not great last year.

Sb

I agree 100% with this. Say what you want about Colon but he was a guaranteed 7 innings pretty much every night. If our 4 and 5 starters average even 6 innings a start this year I will be happy.