Wood signed

BrandoFan

can someone tell me why Wood is considered to be such a good pitcher?

All I see is a guy with no control who can't win more than 14 games.

Buehrle is better than Wood, unless you count hype in as a positive factor.

Lol about Wood comment. Buehrle's stats are about on par or better except for K's. Buehrle is 53-35 in his career with a 3.71 era. That era increase and few more losses is due to a tough first half last year. Buehrle has been the league since 2000.

Wood has been around since 1998 and has a Much better record of 59-41 with a 3.62 era. Plus Wod already missed a whole season due to surgery and is one Dusty Baker inning away from another. Buehrle on the other hand has been very consistent and healthy and there is no reason to think otherwise. K's don't really mean as much as people would like them to believe. Buehrle is a good pitcher who we are getting at a good price. I would take Mark over Wood personally. I really dont think Wood's "talent ceiling" is as high as people would like to believe.

Lol about Wood comment.  Buehrle's stats are about on par or better except for K's.  Buehrle is 53-35 in his career with a 3.71 era.  That era increase and few more losses is due to a tough first half last year.  Buehrle has been the league since 2000.

Wood has been around since 1998 and has a Much better record of 59-41 with a 3.62 era.  Plus Wod already missed a whole season due to surgery and is one Dusty Baker inning away from another.  Buehrle on the other hand has been very consistent and healthy and there is no reason to think otherwise.  K's don't really mean as much as people would like them to believe.  Buehrle is a good pitcher who we are getting at a good price.  I would take Mark over Wood personally.  I really dont think Wood's "talent ceiling" is as high as people would like to believe.

my comments exactly...i couldnt have said it better myself :cheers :fthecubs

Lol about Wood comment.  Buehrle's stats are about on par or better except for K's.  Buehrle is 53-35 in his career with a 3.71 era.  That era increase and few more losses is due to a tough first half last year.  Buehrle has been the league since 2000.

Wood has been around since 1998 and has a Much better record of 59-41 with a 3.62 era.  Plus Wod already missed a whole season due to surgery and is one Dusty Baker inning away from another.  Buehrle on the other hand has been very consistent and healthy and there is no reason to think otherwise.  K's don't really mean as much as people would like them to believe.  Buehrle is a good pitcher who we are getting at a good price.  I would take Mark over Wood personally.  I really dont think Wood's "talent ceiling" is as high as people would like to believe.

Very good points. I've always though Wood was kinda overrated. I mean when he's on he can be devestating. But when he's off he's out in the 2nd inning...I think Prior after only 1 full season is a better pitcher than Wood...

It is hard to compare them as one is a power pitcher and the other is a control pitcher. For a control pitcher Buehrle has a very high WHIP the last couple years. 1.25 and 1.37. Hopefully he will get that under control. Buehrle is also more durable. In terms of overall production they are pretty much equal, so for Wood to be making 11 million is really ridiculous if you ask me.

It is hard to compare them as one is a power pitcher and the other is a control pitcher. For a control pitcher Buehrle has a very high WHIP the last couple years. 1.25 and 1.37. Hopefully he will get that under control. Buehrle is also more durable. In terms of overall production they are pretty much equal, so for Wood to be making 11 million is really ridiculous if you ask me.

If Buehrle keeps pitching well, he will get that kind of money when he is up for free agency. How much money a guy gets is more based on his service time and relation to free agency, than production.

All that said, as much as I like Mark, if I had to make a choice, I'd probably take Wood at this point. I am a bit leery about Mark's steady decline over the last 3 years. I hope it does not, but I am afraid if the pattern keeps up, the Sox will be overpaying him in 3 years.

If Buehrle keeps pitching well, he will get that kind of money when he is up for free agency.  How much money a guy gets is more based on his service time and relation to free agency, than production. 

All that said, as much as I like Mark, if I had to make a choice, I'd probably take Wood at this point.  I am a bit leery about Mark's steady decline over the last 3 years.  I hope it does not, but I am afraid if the pattern keeps up, the Sox will be overpaying him in 3 years.

But you wouldn't be concerned about Wood's health or inconsistency? Just wondering.

Buehrle is better than Wood

MB's flukey (hitters have since adjusted and his last 2 years, his perioherals have been tanking) 2001 campaign notwithstanding....Wood is a better pitcher, in a tougher hitting division and he has a much higher ceiling.

Mark's likely future is Jaimme Moyer. Wood's likely future is Kevin Brown.

But hey, don't let me get in the way of your Sox bias. Me remembers you dissing Prior last off-season, too.

MB's flukey (hitters have since adjusted and his last 2 years, his perioherals have been tanking) 2001 campaign notwithstanding....Wood is a better pitcher, in a tougher hitting division and he has a much higher ceiling.

Mark's likely future is Jaimme Moyer.  Wood's likely future is Kevin Brown.

A tougher division with teams like Pittsburg, Milwaukee and Cincinatti?

A tougher division with teams like Pittsburg, Milwaukee and Cincinatti?

Cincinatti started the year with Larkin, Guillen, Dunn, Casey, Kearns, Griffey. Better than the AAA team Cleveland trotted out there.

Houston and St.Loius have been offensive powerhouses for a while now. Twins and KC of the last 4 years wouldn't strike fear into anyone.

And I would take Brewers' offense with Jenkings, Sexton, Burnitz, Posednik over Detroit Tigers of the last few years. Thanks.

And I seem to recall Wood fared just fine against super-hitting Braves twice in the playoffs.

Cincinatti started the year with Larkin, Guillen, Dunn, Casey, Kearns, Griffey. Better than the AAA team Cleveland trotted out there.

Houston and St.Loius have been offensive powerhouses for a while now.  Twins  and KC of the last 4 years wouldn't strike fear into anyone.

And I would take Brewers' offense with Jenkings, Sexton, Burnitz, Posednik over Detroit Tigers of the last few years.  Thanks.

And I seem to recall Wood fared just fine against super-hitting Braves twice in the playoffs.

They also trotted out two of the worst pitching staffs in the league last year, heh.

umm, I didn't say Prior was bad, I just said he should prove himself before he's labeled the greatest pitcher in the history of the world.

Sometimes you got to access a player's talent (as subjective a task as it may be)and go out on the limb, projecting the future....instead of safely wallowing in the past.

It was obvious that Prior was a 1st-ballot HOF'er in the making and I told you as much last off-season. Injuries can always derail one's career, so I figured that much was assumed.

Wood is not as easy to predict as Prior because of the lack of control, but I would still take him and his unlimited potential over Buerhle if their salaries are anywhere close. ESPECIALLY with Mark being so damn HITTABLE in 2003 - his pitches didn't move much, his curve-ball all but disappeared and unlike 2001 when Mark crept up on everybody, batters were very comfortable laying off his slider and changes low-away.......4.20 ERA in one of the most pathetic-hitting divisions in the history of divisional play? Yep, that's our ace alright.

Wood also has a reputation of a superstar and that puts fannies in seats and draws extra ratings, media attention and merchandise revenues. That alone is worth a mill or two if not more - how many converted Cub fan kids want to grow up and pitch like Kid K? Over the long run, that comes to a pretty penny.

Someone was listening to ESPN today.

That's grand that he won those two playoff games and all, but when has he win 15 games?

Oh yeah, that's right.  Never

Don't tell me what you do, tell me when you do it.

He was huge in getting the Cubs to the NLCS and Chicago's(Chicago in general, meaning both the Sox and Cubs) first playoff series win since 1917.

Given, he did give up like 7 runs in game 7 of the NLCS, but hey, who's counting that? It was all Bartman's fault anyways

can someone tell me why Wood is considered to be such a good pitcher?

All I see is a guy with no control who can't win more than 14 games.

Buehrle is better than Wood, unless you count hype in as a positive factor.

I have always wondered the same thing and have the same conclusion

Wood won 14 games last year, and Buehrle won 14 games last year.

Wood is a great "power" pitcher, but he has an iffy arm and an iffy back. He's literally one pitch away from ending his career, and true - you can say that about ANY pitcher, but if someone is going to blow their arm out on any given pitch, I would definitately lean towards Wood over MB.