America's Five worst highways

moochpuppy

5 worst highways

I-90, between Madison, Wis., and Chicago. Once again, it was tough to pick a single stretch of roadway along the longest interstate highway in the country. Take it from someone who's been along almost the whole length of the highway numerous times.

But in the end, a well-worn portion of I-90 took top honors. The section of I-90 in Wisconsin and western Illinois reminds me a lot of the drive along Highway 2, south of Fairbanks, Alaska, which is punctuated by potholes the size of basketballs. Except that drive is at least scenic. Once you get into the Chicago suburbs, the fun really begins. Construction, traffic, the chaotic O'Hare International Airport, more traffic and then a labyrinth of confusing road signs that make you wish you'd sprung for one of those on-board navigational computers. "Never again," says Elizabeth Rodriguiz, a secretary from Ypsilanti, Mich. "Not unless I'm under general anesthesia."

nterstate 5, between Los Angeles and San Diego. It was difficult to pick just one stretch of I-5, the 1,375-mile interstate highway that runs between Canada and Mexico. There were so many other contenders, especially in California and Washington. But in the end, Southern California's legendary traffic put it over the top.

In portions of Los Angeles and Orange counties, I-5 is, at best, a dangerous parking lot. But once you start heading south, and the cars begin to pick up speed, the parking lot actually starts to move. Then it's as if all the pent-up aggression from sitting in hours of bumper-to-bumper traffic is suddenly released. The cars speed along the freeway at 85 miles an hour as tightly as Blue Angels until some bozo — don't be surprised if it is a convertible packed with college kids bound for Tijuana — decides to break ranks and pass on the right. (Believe me, I know. I used to be one of those kids.) Diane Scholfield, a Web site editor who lives in Oceanside, Calif., says it's difficult to get around this highway from hell — but not impossible. "There really is no good time of the day to avoid the traffic anymore," she says. "So I take the train."

Yeaah...thats the freeway I'm on every single day

nterstate 5, between Los Angeles and San Diego. It was difficult to pick just one stretch of I-5, the 1,375-mile interstate highway that runs between Canada and Mexico. There were so many other contenders, especially in California and Washington. But in the end, Southern California's legendary traffic put it over the top.

In portions of Los Angeles and Orange counties, I-5 is, at best, a dangerous parking lot. But once you start heading south, and the cars begin to pick up speed, the parking lot actually starts to move. Then it's as if all the pent-up aggression from sitting in hours of bumper-to-bumper traffic is suddenly released. The cars speed along the freeway at 85 miles an hour as tightly as Blue Angels until some bozo — don't be surprised if it is a convertible packed with college kids bound for Tijuana — decides to break ranks and pass on the right. (Believe me, I know. I used to be one of those kids.) Diane Scholfield, a Web site editor who lives in Oceanside, Calif., says it's difficult to get around this highway from hell — but not impossible. "There really is no good time of the day to avoid the traffic anymore," she says. "So I take the train."

Yeaah...thats the freeway I'm on every single day

Sucks to be you :lol:

That's why when I go to Anaheim for the Angles games I take the train, it's a hell of a lot easier and less frustrating.

I nominate the 2 freeway out here as the darkest freeway in the country. All you can see at night is as much as your headlights will show. Which makes it especially fun to do a little "Ghost Car" and turn your headlights off, but only for a few seconds, cause it's f***ing scary.

I totally agree with the Florida Turnpike. I was on that last year and I dunno what it is because it isn't THAT crazy, but just something about it makes you feel closed in and having a feeling of impending doom. When I finally arrived at my destination I was ready for a dozen or so beers. That was the most stressful road I have EVER driven on. I think the lanes are more narrow or something. It just like that road was cursed or something.