Desktop or Laptop

Texsox

Which do you use the most to log into soxtalk?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you use the most to log into soxtalk?

• Laptop
    • Desktop
    • PDA
    • Phone
    • Government Implanted Supercomputer
    • Public Access

Wi-Fi is so great. I'm at my favorite coffee house this morning doing a little work, drinking some yummy Sumatra, listening to good live classical guitarist, and in the Web with their free wireles network and my Airport-equipped PowerBook.

Better still, at noon I'll run home and pick up the kids to take them to an Expos/Cardinals ST game up the road this afternoon.

I'm on the family desktop right now....

But before I head to college this fall, I'll be looking to get a computer.  Which do you think would be the smarter buy?  A laptop or a desktop?

If you'll only have one computer, I'd say definitely get a laptop. Then buy or make stand to elevate your laptop, buy a full-size keyboard and mouse and a good 15" flatscreen for less that $300 to use at your desk and it'll be better than a desktop maching because you'll have a 2-monitor setup.

Especially for a college student, having the mobility to bring your computer to the library, to class, coffee houses, or out on tthe quad on nice days is really desirable. And more and more places are putting in free wireles networks -- with a wireless card in your laptop you'll probably just happen upon several free networks across your campus and environs.

But before I head to college this fall, I'll be looking to get a computer.  Which do you think would be the smarter buy?  A laptop or a desktop?

i use my laptop for everything. i set up wi-fi network at home with my mom's desktop so being able to go wireless as long as battery lasts makes it an added bonus. i even use it in class to take notes. its awesome, unless you wanna do a little gaming then it gets frustrating sometimes. mine freezes up on me every once in a while, while i'm playing online.

These days it's my laptop but when I get back to the U.S at the end of this year I'll be buying a snazzy new Dell desktop.

Nuke, you must be looking forward to getting home. I guess that means you will be voting for Kerry :ph34r: :D

Nuke, you must be looking forward to getting home. I guess that means you will be voting for Kerry  :ph34r:  :D

You have no idea dude. Hopefully I wont have to deploy anywhere for a while so I can catch my breath. WHEW!! Good news is I'll be taking May completely off so I can chill for a bit.

You have no idea dude.  Hopefully I wont have to deploy anywhere for a while so I can catch my breath.  WHEW!! Good news is I'll be taking May completely off so I can chill for a bit.

With it being an election year, be ready for a September trip someplace small and out of the way. ;)

Isn't the weather getting nice in Korea? What are you bringing back?

It all depends on what you are looking to use it for. Desktops have dropped tremendously in price so bang fr your buck would definately be in the desktop's favor. Just something that us college guys tend to think about first I believe.

With it being an election year, be ready for a September trip someplace small and out of the way.  ;)

Isn't the weather getting nice in Korea? What are you bringing back?

Somehow I doubt that. Aside from the vacation I'm taking in May I'm gonna be here till the 1st week in December. What am I bringing back? Who knows. One of these days when I get time I need to go do some shopping in the area.

Dell at work (just got this one and it is nice!).  Soon to be a dell at home (due to ship 3/17).

Don't be surprised if you get your Dell much quicker than that. Both when we ordered our PC and when we ordered our printer, we got it about the time they said it would ship.