Nationalizing Resources

Pale Hose Jon

Should America Nationalize its Natural Resources  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should America Nationalize its Natural Resources

• Yes
    • No

Recently we have been discussing this issue in one of my classes. If you nationalize the resources (the government takes control over them) than we could have universal health care, free education and decreased taxes. However, the drawback would be a move away from capitalism.

Now, i'm no economist, (and i know many of you are very knowledgable about the economy) but i think that this would be a great thing for america, even though it would never happen.

What do you Think?

:whichway :chimp

I don't think this would be an appropriate answer, because I don't really have much faith in putting a lot of my interests in the governments hand.

With special interest groups, political bases, etc, I feel a lot of people would be left out and I don't want to have to trust the government to give those things.

I also wonder how effective the systems would be when nationalized, because the government doesn't exactly have the greatest record of operating things effeciently.

This country needs capitalists. No economic planner(s) are capable of setting prices or delegating resources with the efficiency of the free market. The competition in capitalism also creates incentive for technological innovation.

Without capitalism, this country would crumble along with all the deposed entrepreneurs themselves.

If you nationalize the resources (the government takes control over them) than we could have universal health care, free education and decreased taxes.

Are your teachers telling you that? That's laughable. :lol:

Are your teachers telling you that? That's laughable. :lol:

Why is that laughable. It is whats happening in other countries like the middle east, where college is free to anyone. There only problem is their despot governments. With an accountable government i think it could work

Why is that laughable. It is whats happening in other countries like the middle east, where college is free to anyone. There only problem is their despot governments. With an accountable government i think it could work

It's similar in Ireland, or at least was that way.

Our government is incredibly wasteful. Estimates are that 10-12% of tax money is wasted, vs what the private sector could accomplish with the same money. Trust me, the way it is now (gov regulation, private mgmt) while not perfect, is way better than creating another crappy buearocracy to manage it.

Our government is incredibly wasteful.  Estimates are that 10-12% of tax money is wasted, vs what the private sector could accomplish with the same money.  Trust me, the way it is now (gov regulation, private mgmt) while not perfect, is way better than creating another crappy buearocracy to manage it.

That's why!

Recently we have been discussing this issue in one of my classes. If you nationalize the resources (the government takes control over them) than we could have universal health care, free education and decreased taxes. However, the drawback would be a move away from capitalism.

Now, i'm no economist, (and i know many of you are very knowledgable about the economy) but i think that this would be a great thing for america, even though it would never happen.

What do you Think? 

:whichway  :chimp

Decreased taxes??? :nono

Decreased taxes??? :nono

The problem is that it doesn't end there. OK. Let's say we have universal health care...What does that pertain? Emergency care. Fine. Life and death care. Fine. But, it will be expanded to include cosmetic surgery and the like. Hell, IIRC there's a Governor somewhere that wanted to have state paid for sex change operations. Now, how do we pay for this new expanded universal health care? Raise taxes. So, you're decreased taxes arguement is nil. ALL Goverment programs expand and inflate outrageously!