Opening Day Question!!!!

Rooftop Shots

Actually it was not the Highlanders....... Don't take it personally, that was my guess too.  The correct answer was a shock to me.

:banghead

Now I'm getting worried!!!! It must be an odorless, colorless, airborne Cubbie plague sickness. It's costing me brain cells!!!! HELP!!!!!! :lol:

It's a bad fever I'm getting, and the only prescription that'll work is.............

More Sox wins. (Though a little cowbell wouldn't hurt either :D )

Nice trivia Rex!! But when the heck did the move from Baltimore to NY take place? I thought they were in NY  since the caveman days! After they became the Yankees, have any idea how long it was until the Orioles came into franchise again?

The birth ...

New York was already a National League stronghold by the time a rival American League was conceived in 1901, so there was no initial effort to infringe on the territory of the Dodgers and Giants. Instead, a franchise was awarded to Baltimore.

But the original Baltimore Orioles were a scandalously run club, and by the middle of its second season the roster was depleted by dubious transactions. On July 17, 1902, a week after manager John McGraw had jumped to the Giants and was followed by the meat of the Baltimore squad, only five Orioles remained in uniform, forcing forfeiture of that day's game to the St. Louis Browns.

The AL's response strikes an eerie historical echo, especially in Montreal: It assumed operation of the team which, with players borrowed from other teams, played out the season going 19-47.

Quickly, the AL unloaded the team on New York impresarios Frank Farrell and Bill Devery. They moved the franchise into a wooden ballpark hastily constructed at 168th street. Since the park sat on a hill overlooking the Bronx, it was christened Hilltop Park and its tenants were called the Highlanders.

The AL came to New York in an immediate cloud of fairy dust. In their two seasons, the Baltimore Orioles had gone 118-153, but in their first season of reincarnation, the Highlanders were winners (72-62) and the following year they went 92-59 and chased the Boston Red Sox to the wire, finishing 1 1/2 games out.

It would be 52 years before the American League returned to Baltimore.