Roof top shots at old Comiskey

YASNY

Did any of you ever get lucky enough to witness a roof top shot, or one that went completely out? I saw Greg "The Bull" Luzinkski hit one off of Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd of the Boston Red Sox. I think it was in '83. When the ball was hit, I loooked at Jim Rice in left field.... He never moved. That's when I knew it had a chance. The ball was sky'ed, and at first I thought it be playable because it was hit so high. But went Rice never moved, or never even turned to watch it, I started yelling for it to get out. That was so cool to see that.

However, I believe the hardest homer I ever saw hit was by Dick Allen. He hit a line shot in the first inning of a game, we were still walking to ourseats and happened to be behind the plate when he hit it. The pitcher actuall reached up and tried to catch this ball as it whistled past him.... and that ball hit the back wall of the old centerfield bullpen... and bounced back onto the playing field. And this was a frozen rope... no arc to it whatsoever. I'm telling you, he really crushed that ball.

No one hit them harder than Dick Allen.  I can still picture him just cxrushing them like no one other than perhaps Frank. 

I also remmber how fast some of Reggie Jackson's homers got out of the park.

I've heard that new veterans committee is going to give Dick Allen strong consideration for the Hall of Fame.

I agree with you. But, this new veterans committee are living HOF'ers. These guys are Allen's peers. They know what kind of talent he had. I would hate to see Allen get in at Santo's expense, because Ronnie is a HOF'er in my book. But, if they both get in, then that would be cool.

Hardest hit HR? Well I'd have to say Frank Thomas' mammoth shot last year. It was long gone. But that one by Liefer in New York was a cranked one too.

the hardest ball ive ever seen hit ay comiskey was in '70 by bill melton..there was a 40 mph wind blowing in from LF....melton hit a line shot into the upper deck that shattered a seat...i saw it on TV...

the hardest hit ball ive seen from anyone was glenallen hill's rofftop shot...that thing sounded like it was shot out of a cannon...think about all the great power hitters that played at wrigley...and no one ever came close to hitting one on the roof before....it wasnt ever even talked about because no one could even fathom it happening

I also saw Allen hit a titanic shot. It was Aug 22, 1972 against the Yanks. IIRC it was the fifth inning when he hit a monster homerun that carried to the back wall of the center field bullpen. It's not the same one Yasny described, this one was a towering arc. I do remember the one Yasny saw, can't remember who the Sox were playing. Allen almost always hit the ball hard, even when making an out. The longest home run ever at old Comiskey was probably by Dave Nicholson, I want to say in the spring of 1963. It cleared the left field roof and landed on the playing field of Armour Square park, interrupting a softball game. Nicholson never panned out in the ML, he struck out far too often and had a fairly short career. Man could he hit the ball when he connected though. If only the Sox could have had a Charley Lau or Walt Hriniak to work with him, he had McGwire like potential, was built like him too.

the hardest ball ive ever seen hit ay comiskey was in '70 by bill melton..there was a 40 mph wind blowing in from LF....melton hit a line shot into the upper deck that shattered a seat...i saw it on TV...

the hardest hit ball ive seen from anyone was glenallen hill's rofftop shot...that thing sounded like it was shot out of a cannon...think about all the great power hitters that played at wrigley...and no one ever came close to hitting one on the roof before....it wasnt ever even talked about because no one could even fathom it happening

Glenallen Hill was my favorite player to watch at BP. That guy had cannons for arms and he hit the ball a long way and did it consistently during bp. That shot at wrigley was amazing.

Farthest hit ball I ever saw was by Sammy Sosa during BP at Dodger stadium. He hit it like 500 plus feet and it went out of Dodger stadium.

Some of the farthest homers I have ever seen hit have come from Frank Thomas, Mark McGwire, and Sammy Sosa in the HR Derbies. Thomas hit one in HR derby in Pittsburgh 512 feet, McGwire in Boston was a monster, and Sosa every year hits them around 520 feet.

Now, in an actual game McGwire hit a moon shot in the Kingdome off Randy Johnson that was mighty impressive. Then there was Glenallen Hills shot that left Wrigley, across the street and landed on the roof of a building across the street. They measured it at 460 but common, that is just a bomb. But the farthest ball I ever seen while being at the game is Eric Chavez two years ago at Comiskey. I think Glover was pitching and Chavez tagged a ball that cleared the RF bleachers, cleared the whole concourse and actually hit about 4 feet up off the bathroom wall. 500 plus i would have to say.

With the home run derby coming to Comiskey it will be interesting to see if anyone can put it out of the park for the first time ever. Over the Concourse and through the openings by the light tower in left. Sosa has a shot. Cant wait to see it, hope I am there

Jeff

I think it was Rowand who last year hit a rocket shot that never went more than 15 feet off the ground. Im 15 so I never got to see the old Comiskey but exactly how far was a roof shot?

BTW, this post now makes me the 15th starter and member of the 500 club. I just didnt want to make another infamous post whoring thread, as apu calls it...

I think it was Rowand who last year hit a rocket shot that never went more than 15 feet off the ground. Im 15 so I never got to see the old Comiskey but exactly how far was a roof shot?

BTW, this post now makes me the 15th starter and member of the 500 club. I just didnt want to make another infamous post whoring thread, as apu calls it...

You need to watch a lot more baseball son.

Speaking of the hardest or longest ball hit, everyone forgets about Eric Chavez' shot off Glover that hit above the wall on the mens' restroom in LF on a fly. Little hint, Frank Thomas does not hold the record for the longest HR in the new park if they want to be honest.

I did see Kittle and Luzinski hit a roof shot in hte same day in the old park. ahhhhhh memories! That's was the best way to measure a hr in the old park. lower deck, upper deck, roof, over the roof. They need a damn hr porch in the outfield in the new park!

Why do you say that? I watch a ton of baseball, I just never saw old Comiskey...

Why do you say that? I watch a ton of baseball, I just never saw old Comiskey...

Don't worry..... RPS lost me on that one too. Maybe it has to do with Rowand ignoring RPS twice this past weekend at SoxFest :D

I saw Amos Otis hit a bomb in Comiskey that landed in that section to the right of the cf bleachers. It was a very small area of bleachers as I recall.

And I saw Dick Allen hit a cannon that Harry Caray said was the farthest homer he'd ever seen hit.

It might have been the one you were talking about in cf.