White Sox/Cubs Correspondents Needed

Hey guys,

With the baseball season just weeks away, we (The Chicago Sports Review - chicagosportsreview.com) are looking for correspondents (2-4 each) for both the White Sox and Cubs.

We're looking for, but are not limiting it to, people with a journalism/writing background, or future intentions of doing so. These correspondents will work on a rotating basis and their jobs will consist of writing recaps, news reports and stories for whatever team they are covering (I'm assuming anyone interested on this board would prefer to cover the Sox).

Keep in mind, however, that we are NOT a fan site, we are a monthly Chicago sports magazine, so all reports written must be done in an objective fashion and follow AP-style writing. Whoever is interested must be able to write short, simple and concise recaps and news reports (on average of 150-300 words, pending the story, of course).

Also keep in mind that as a correspondent, you may have the opportunity, if you'd like, to write for the magazine and at times cover the White Sox or Cubs from the inside, meaning with press credentials. This is NOT a paying position, but is for people who are looking for experience, to be published and/or looking to work their way up the Sports Media ladder.

If anyone is interested, email me at mario@chisport.com with your resume, clips and/or intentions. PLEASE, do not simply write saying that you'd like to give it a try without having any background or future expecations ... these are positions that need dedicated, reliable people.

Also, for anyone interested in covering the Chicago Fire this season or, as always, for anyone interested in just writing period (commentaries, columns, news reports, feature writer for the magazine), please email me as well.

Thanks for your time guys,

Mario Scalise (Molto)

New Media Editor

ChicagoSportsReview.com

Hey guys,

With the baseball season just weeks away, we (The Chicago Sports Review - chicagosportsreview.com) are looking for correspondents (2-4 each) for both the White Sox and Cubs.

We're looking for, but are not limiting it to, people with a journalism/writing background, or future intentions of doing so.  These correspondents will work on a rotating basis and their jobs will consist of writing recaps, news reports and stories for whatever team they are covering (I'm assuming anyone interested on this board would prefer to cover the Sox).

Keep in mind, however, that we are NOT a fan site, we are a monthly Chicago sports magazine, so all reports written must be done in an objective fashion and follow AP-style writing.  Whoever is interested must be able to write short, simple and concise recaps and news reports (on average of 150-300 words, pending the story, of course).

Also keep in mind that as a correspondent, you may have the opportunity, if you'd like, to write for the magazine and at times cover the White Sox or Cubs from the inside, meaning with press credentials.  This is NOT a paying position, but is for people who are looking for experience, to be published and/or looking to work their way up the Sports Media ladder.

If anyone is interested, email me at mario@chisport.com with your resume, clips and/or intentions.  PLEASE, do not simply write saying that you'd like to give it a try without having any background or future expecations ... these are positions that need dedicated, reliable people.

Also, for anyone interested in covering the Chicago Fire this season or, as always, for anyone interested in just writing period (commentaries, columns, news reports, feature writer for the magazine), please email me as well.

Thanks for your time guys,

Mario Scalise (Molto)

New Media Editor

ChicagoSportsReview.com

Well, based on my experience with Molto/CSR, I don't think that this is a particularly good way to either get quality writing experience or move up in the sportswriting world.

When I was in college, I was on the staff of the student newspaper. There were certain courtesies that the editors would follow such as telling you upfront if your article was rejected, why it was rejected and what I needed to do to make it fit to print. In my opinion, these are things that any would-be editor has to do in order to make it worth your while to deal with that editor.

Some time ago, Molto posted to this forum about how the CSR website needed some folks to write articles for it. I volunteered and eventually got a pair of articles published there, which was good.

What was not so good was the fact that I often had to email Molto about whether or not an article was accepted or not, since he was too lazy to email me about it in the first place. Whenever an article was rejected, he rarely offered any ideas on how to improve it and often his reasons for rejection didn't seem to make sense.

The final straw came in regards to an article that I submitted on March 23rd. He never emailed back about it and when I subsequently emailed him twice about it, he never ever replied. For what its worth, I put a lot of time and effort into the articles that I submitted to Molto/CSR and getting the silent treatment from a lazy editor just does not cut it. I'm never going to waste my time/energy on Molto and the CSR ever again.

Unless you enjoy working for lazy editors, I'd doubt that any of you would find the experience of writing for Molto and the CSR worth your while.

Crector, you couldn't handle this issue with Mario in private, you feel the need to try and one-up him publicly?

A post like this is exactly why you're perceived as low class at two other forums. Congratulations, I think you now have the hat trick.

That is, unless you make up another user name and start sending fan mail to yourself again :rolleyes: .

CRector, this isn't the place to handle any beef you have with me.

if you want me to be completely honest with you, you are a below average writer that has no logical basis to anything you say.

You sent me 4-5 pieces, we talked about the first two a couple of times and finally I published them after you fixed them (which even then, they were below average).

I said you are more than free to send me any more pieces you work on, but never guaranteed I would publish them or take the time to work with you on it.

As a college student who has a job to go with working for the Chicago Sports Review, I don't have time to respond to every piece you send me and I don't have time to drop everything I have to attend to you.

If someone sends me a bad piece, I will try to work with that person the first couple of times, but after that, it is purely up to the person to send me something that is publishable. If not, unless the person is working with the magazine or helping the magazine in some other way, I will not waste my time to go through it.

I'm sorry you had a problem writing for me and CSR, but ask everyone else who has dealt with me before and I guarantee most, not all (there are other people just like you) won't have a complaint about me.

Now, as far as the personal rip on me (calling me lazy). That is something I take GREAT offense to. Anyone who knows me on this board knows how much I bust my ass. Anyone who knows me on this board knows that if it wasn't for my hard work (as well as jason's) you wouldn't have this place to even make the inane post you just did. Anyone who knows me knows I don't hold back in any work that I do and knows I'll do whatever to help others.

You can say your experience with CSR was bad, you can say your experience with me was bad, but don't ever call me lazy again.

I will be the first to step to the plate and back you Mario. Even when I wrote a complete piece of s*** for an article, you were right there with suggestions. Anyone who calls you lazy has no clue, or is just trolling for a fight. And after seeing somethings I would guess the second one.

Go get 'em Mario!!! :headbang

thanks SS.

btw, if I recall correctly, your piece wasn't crap.

and even if it were written poorly, I know you at least had the baseball knowledge to make up for it.

If Mario deserves the lazy tag, then I deserve the dead tag because Mario was the heart and soul and the effort behind SoxNet for the two years. I and Mark were just the upbeat attitude that would assist Mario, work on building the boards and give suggestions and write some in depth analysis pieces.

I've never seen a harder worker (except my dad, sorry Mario, lol), especially considering how involed he is, then Mario. People may work as hard as him, but not harder.

You may of had a bad experience C. Rector, but I'll stand up for Mario any day of the week and say what a quality character and individual he is. Many thanks go out to him for what he did with SoxNet. I know working with him on it has made me a lot better of a writer, more imaganitive and when I do go out into my first real job (not the part time stuff) I will be much better prepared because of it.

And did I mention the first stuff I ever wrote for SoxNet was awful. Mario gave me suggestions and now I think I've turned into a pretty decent writer, part of it is definately a thanks to him.

thanks jas, I appreciate it ... hopefully nobody got the wrong impression from Rectors post.

My reaction was this... I know you're admin and could delete the post if you wanted... I figured if any of what C. rector had said was really true, "being lazy" you'd just delete his post... or better yet edit it to make him look really dumb...

The fact that you took the high road and let that response remain tells me all I need to know..

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, this would be something really cool to do. Journalism is the major I'm looking into, since I'm only 16. However, the only thing I can really get into writing about is sports related things. I cannot write anything else but about sports, so that kind of sucks because my High School paper really doesn't deal a lot with sports.

It was kind of cool though, I wrote an article on the Marlins vs Cubs playoff series, and the teacher who runs the newspaper said it was a one of the better sports articles she's read.

Let me know if you ever need help, hopefully Sox-related, Molto. I'd just like to have an outside opinion on whether I'm good at this or not. Thanks, and again, let me know if help is ever needed, Molto.

email me at mario@chisport.com with your name and a bit more detail on your intentions.

If you are looking at a career in sports journalism, this is definitely a place to start as you'll be able to make mistakes and I'll work with you as you go along.

I'm looking foward to speaking with you.