For all of you Ozzie Haters

CWSGuy406

You know what - it's the first damn game, and already people are second guessing friggin Ozzie. GET OFF HIS DAMN CASE!!!!!

What the hell would you have done differently? Cliff Politte was dominating - he had his sinker working, his fastball was just blowing by hitters. Ozzie doesn't know how long he can last - like the saying goes, if it's not broken, don't fix it. So Cliff comes out and walks the first batter in the ninth. Who knows, maybe it's just him shaking off being on the bench for a bit - I don't know. So you have Coop come out and talk to him - nothing wrong with that - if he doesn't get the next batter out, you take him out, simple as that - let him decide his own fate. OK, so Ozzie sees if Politte can get back to his 8th inning form - but instead, he walks the next guy. OK, he's gone - you bring in Koch - he was great in Spring Training, and you want the guy to be your closer - so you gotta get him some confidence. So, he faces Santiago - oh well, Santiago beat him, on a pitch that I swear was well off the inside corner running in on the hands that Santiago was just able to turn on. So, you see if Koch can get out the next guy which he does. But Tony Pena makes a move, bringing in a lefty - so, Ozzie plays the numbers - bring in Marte. And after that, It's all in Marte's hands really - and he blows it.

Last year, I swear, the same damn people were calling for Jerry Manuel's head on a silver platter because he put Koch in and left him in there too long. This time, when he puts in OUR BEST reliever, and one of the best relievers in the AL, and the reliever blows it, you guys b**** at Guillen? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I swear, some of you guys, if we went 161-1, and swept the playoffs and won the World Series would still find friggin problems in it.

You want to b**** about someone? b**** about Marte, that he wasn't able to get one DAMN out - but for you guys to second guess and rip on Guillen, that's just terrible and pathetic. Look what we saw today - a hit and run, a SUCCESSFUL hit and run - we saw guys actually going the other way, a lot, in this game - we saw f***ING PAUL KONERKO steal a base. Come on, you can't tell me that Paul just said to himself "hmm lets steal a base, speedy!". In fact, I think Guillen is pretty damn smart - if they don't want to pay attention to PK because they think he's slow, then run on their asses.

Ozzie made solid managerial (sp?) decisions today. The players (or, the player, not plural) f***ed up. Don't blame Guillen, please, please dont.... I have faith that Ozzie learned his lesson about Politte - 2 inning or less, no more. Marte should return to form (please, please, PLEASE), and Koch wasn't terrible, and perhaps has a longer leash.

Ok some Minor corrections here goes......

Cliff Politte was dominating - he had his sinker working, his fastball was just blowing by hitters. Ozzie doesn't know how long he can last

correct me if im wrong, isnt that what spring training is for??

Who knows, maybe it's just him shaking off being on the bench for a bit - I don't know

so why guess?

But Tony Pena makes a move, bringing in a lefty - so, Ozzie plays the numbers - bring in Marte.

Closers dont play the percentages.

Come on, you can't tell me that Paul just said to himself "hmm lets steal a base, speedy!". In fact, I think Guillen is pretty damn smart - if they don't want to pay attention to PK because they think he's slow, then run on their asses

Dont over due Ozzie credit. This was a failed hit and run. credit ozzie with trying the hit and run, but in no way was Ozzie thinking, "hey, they will never guess that PK will steal a base...I'm sending him."

Sorry but i put blame 100% on OZ and i like him

I agree that Marte is our bullpen guy. But he is slated as set up. im sick of saying it, let koch close the game if he is our clsoer. :banghead :banghead :banghead and WHEN he fails, make someone else the closer. dont appoint him closer if you arent going to use him in this role.

I agree that Marte is our bullpen guy.  But he is slated as set up.  im sick of saying it, let koch close the game if he is our clsoer. :banghead  :banghead  :banghead and WHEN he fails, make someone else the closer. dont appoint him closer if you arent going to use him in this role.

I agree with that, but again, how many times last year did we rip JM's head off because he left Koch in too long?

I agree that Marte is our bullpen guy.  But he is slated as set up.  im sick of saying it, let koch close the game if he is our clsoer. :banghead  :banghead  :banghead and WHEN he fails, make someone else the closer. dont appoint him closer if you arent going to use him in this role.

I LIKE OZZIE! Bit I agree, if Koch is our closer, he needs to be our closer. They don't get pulled because of lefty/righty matchups. As for him blowing the games for being in too long last year, that was last year. Ozzie panicked and yanked him early. Rookie mistake from a rookie Manager. Let's hope he learned from it.

Two reasons why I don't think Koch should have been pulled:

1. He had good velocity and movement on his pitches. As mentioned before, Santiago got his hands in on a good pitch for the double and Guiel was frozen by the slider. If he looked like garbage, then pull him, but the fact is that he didn't.

2. Ozzie's own words. All spring he said TWO things that he contradicted yesterday - one being "last year means nothing to me" and the other being "Koch is my closer". As someone else said quite correctly, you don't play percentages with your closer. IMO, Oz had last year's struggles in mind when he pulled Koch.

I also felt good about Marte coming in, but I WAS surprised that Oz gave Koch the quick hook, especially after extending Pollitte. I think it's just a bad message to send to Koch this early in the season.

That said, I still think that ALL yesterday's game means is that the Sox are ONE GAME out of first and Loaiza's going for a split instead of a sweep. We'll see what Oz does differently next time, if anything.

Two reasons why I don't think Koch should have been pulled:

1. He had good velocity and movement on his pitches. As mentioned before, Santiago got his hands in on a good pitch for the double and Guiel was frozen by the slider. If he looked like garbage, then pull him, but the fact is that he didn't.

2. Ozzie's own words. All spring he said TWO things that he contradicted yesterday - one being "last year means nothing to me" and the other being "Koch is my closer". As someone else said quite correctly, you don't play percentages with your closer. IMO, Oz had last year's struggles in mind when he pulled Koch.

I also felt good about Marte coming in, but I WAS surprised that Oz gave Koch the quick hook, especially after extending Pollitte. I think it's just a bad message to send to Koch this early in the season.

That said, I still think that ALL yesterday's game means is that the Sox are ONE GAME out of first and Loaiza's going for a split instead of a sweep. We'll see what Oz does differently next time, if anything.

As much as I hate Billy Botch I dont want to see him get the hook that fast. Give him an opportunity to work out of the jam. Yanking him that fast hurts what little confidence this guy has left.

My two cents;

Cliff was pitching good but what was his longest outing of the spring?

Mindy Lopez v. Marte; Stairs v. Koch ----Closer or no closer I like the Lopez match-up but if Koch is your closer, you go with him.

I would'vs brought in Mr. Zero to face Beltran.

I think Cooper was the one calling the shots through this whole thing.

My two cents;

Mindy Lopez v. Marte; Stairs v. Koch ----Closer or no closer I like the Lopez match-up but if Koch is your closer, you go with him.

you have been missed, or I have missed your posts - either way, always glad to see you posting :headbang

Funny you should mention this... I was watching and Coop appeared to be telling Ozzie what to do.. At one point he got on the phone, then went over to talk to Ozzie. Like..."Ok, this is what we do here....." :huh

My two cents;

Exactly. Stairs has had a VERY strong ST. Mendy Lopez isn't considered a guy that will tie up the game with one swing of the bat. With the way Stairs has been swinging the bat, there's a very good chance he could achieve against Koch.

Blame should lie nowhere except on the shoulders of Damaso Marte.

Exactly. Stairs has had a VERY strong ST.  Mendy Lopez isn't considered a guy that will tie up the game with one swing of the bat.  With the way Stairs has been swinging the bat, there's a very good chance he could achieve against Koch. 

I agree completely that the blame lies with Marte. He didn't have good stuff at all yesterday. We were in trouble before he came in, but he is a pitcher that can be relied on to get us out of trouble. Yesterday, he failed. You can't blame anyone but him. Ozzie, Koch, nor Pollitte are the ones that gave up two homeruns in one inning. Marte just had a tough outing, he'll come back from it. Yesterday's loss was a heartbreaker, that's all, just time to push forward from here.

Exactly. Stairs has had a VERY strong ST.  Mendy Lopez isn't considered a guy that will tie up the game with one swing of the bat.  With the way Stairs has been swinging the bat, there's a very good chance he could achieve against Koch. 

that's the way I saw it too