'Weak link' Thomas feels he'll break out

Goldmember

linky

'Weak link' Thomas feels he'll break out

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

April 15, 2004, 10:44 PM CDT

Frank Thomas joked Thursday morning about being the "weak link" in the White Sox's batting order.

"I tell people I'm the only easy out in the lineup," Thomas said.

Thomas may not be an easy out for much longer after drilling his first home run of the season in Thursday's 6-5 victory over the Kansas City Royals.

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the Sox's 6-3 start is that they have done it with Thomas hitting .226. But Thomas said it's just a matter of time before he joins the hit parade.

"I know I'm going to break out of this," he said.

Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he has only one concern with Thomas—and it isn't his hitting.

"The only thing I worry about with him is his attitude, and he has been great," Guillen said. "I don't worry about what he can do on the field." …

Since striking out in his first six appearances against left-handers, Jose Valentin is 6-for-13 against them with a triple and a double. Valentin has a seven-game hitting streak (10-for-30, .333). … Magglio Ordonez's walk-off homer was the 24th in the 14-year history of U.S. Cellular Field and his second. It came off D.J. Carrasco, who plunked him with a pitch in the sixth inning of Tuesday's home opener. …

Guillen said he's not platooning Willie Harris and Juan Uribe at second base, but it sure looks like it. Uribe played Thursday against left-hander Brian Anderson. Harris has six at-bats against lefties, while the right-handed-hitting Uribe has four at-bats against righties. "We have three righties in Tampa Bay and three against New York [next week], so Willie will be the second baseman," Guillen said. "Willie is at second, and I'm not going to platoon anyone." When right-hander Scott Sullivan pitched the ninth for Kansas City, Harris pinch-hit for Uribe. … Uribe has reached base in nine of his last 12 plate appearances …

Kansas City's Carlos Beltran became the first Royal with a home run in three straight plate appearances since Bo Jackson had four in 1990. Beltran homered his last two times up Wednesday and his first Thursday. … Paul Konerko doesn't believe the Detroit Tigers' fast start is a fluke. "They have our respect because they're playing well," he said. "They gave us enough trouble last year [though] they lost 119 games."

I'll take an OBP of almost .400 from a guy who's struggling.  He'll still hit 35 HR, drive in about 100, and hit his .270.  His OBP will be over .400 again, and he'll score almost a 100 runs.  That is called a good deal for 6 million.

That would be just fine if it came without all the whining and b****ing.

Frank is Frank and I love him no matter what

I think this article in this thread shows Frank with a great attitude

stats have always motivated him - if he gets himself psyched he might post some awesome numbers and carry us as only he can

stats have always motivated him - if he gets himself psyched he might post some awesome numbers and carry us as only he can

:headbang

If the Big Skirt would start hitting the damn ball maybe people would be a bit more sympathetic when he puts on his bonnet then throws his bottle down and starts bawling that his contract "doesn't respect him".

:fyou Thomas!!!

You are as closed minded about Thomas as cwsox is about Valentin.

You are as closed minded about Thomas as cwsox is about Valentin.

now that hurts :P

give me 15 games in a row with no errors by StJosE6 and I will praise him! (fat chance of that happening... :lol: )

by the way, when at the park, I offer Jose only my cheers and applause - I support the Sox on the field :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

now that hurts :P

give me 15 games in a row with no errors by StJosE6 and I will praise him!  (fat chance of that happening...  :lol:  )

by the way, when at the park, I offer Jose only my cheers and applause -  I support the Sox on the field :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang  :headbang

LOL. cw ... I'm going to hold you to that. And I don't doubt for a second the fact that you cheer for each and every member of the Sox at the Cell. :cheers

Exactly. I know he takes all kinds of heat etc., but when I started to learn about the Chisox and become a fan, Thomas was the one to pull me over. Thomas will always be my favorite player to wear a White Sox uni.

LOL.  cw ... I'm going to hold you to that.  And I don't doubt for a second the fact that you cheer for each and every member of the Sox at the Cell. :cheers

I even sing the soccer Jose Jose Jose Jose song at the park - and I let my grandson have Jose as his second favroite player (to Maggs) without comment and sing the Jose song with him! :lol: :lol: