Latest BA Sox report

MnSoxFan

Interesting that Keefner was one the touted in here, and he was released

Chicago White Sox

by Phil Rogers

Green Outfield

CHICAGO--It's not unusual for an organization to allow one or two prospects to skip a level. But the White Sox assembled a complete outfield at the high Class A level made up of 2003 draftees.

Brian Anderson, last year's first rounder out of Arizona, will play center field at Winston-Salem. He'll be flanked by Ricardo Nanita, a 14th-round pick from Florida International, and 19-year-old Ryan Sweeney, a second-round pick out of high school in Iowa.

All three are bypassing low Class A Kannapolis, where they were originally ticketed. All are considered top hitting prospects and looked the part in spring training, with Sweeney and Anderson responding well to a chance to face big league competition.

Sweeney's sweet lefthanded stroke looked so good in camp that there was talk of assigning him to Double-A. He also played well in right field, showcasing a strong arm and solid instincts. There's little concern in the organization about whether he'll be able to handle the accelerated assignment.

"There was some talk about Kannapolis, but you can't penalize a guy for being 19 years old," farm director David Wilder said. "This guy is special. He's going to Winston-Salem, and he might not be there too long. I've been in baseball a long time, and I've never seen a kid like this."

Neither Anderson nor Sweeney was officially in major league spring training, but they managed to play 29 games in fill-in roles between the two of them. Anderson was as good as advertised and Sweeney opened eyes by hitting .367.

"I'd just as soon see him come up against a righthanded pitcher as anybody we have," hitting coach Greg Walker said. "He's a physically talented guy, a mechanically sound guy and he has ice water in his veins."

A two-way star in high school, Sweeney had been projected as a possible first-rounder but fell based on his showing at predraft showcases. He signed for $785,000 and posted .327-2-9 numbers in 101 at-bats between Rookie-level stops in Bristol and Great Falls.

"I don't think I've surprised myself," Sweeney said. "I worked hard in the offseason. I wanted to come here ready."

Mission accomplished.

CHI-LITES

• Jeremy Reed, a career .356 hitter, wasn't himself in big league camp. He hit .214 in 17 games before being assigned to Triple-A Charlotte, where he'll play alongside Joe Borchard, who begins his third season there. Borchard, a switch-hitting outfielder, showed improvement in camp but was limited by a strained calf.

• Several prospects showed signs of recovery from various injuries this spring. First baseman Eric Keefner, who missed last season with a broken foot, had a nice spring, as did righthanders Mitch Wylie and Kyle Kane.

Mn, thanks for posting. I wonder where Kyle Kane is pitching? He must be in extended spring.

He's a guy with a great fastball and slider, but he can't seem to stay healthy. He's now 28 but they keep hanging onto him, he must have some super stuff.

Wylie is at Charlotte, he's 27 now, if he ever makes it, it'll likely be as a long reliever.

Kane is still in extended ST, yes, when we drafted him, he was supposed to have best raw stuff of Weaver, Biddle, Parque and the rest of that draft, he had been an infielder all through HS and in JC until he happened to pick up pitching his last year of JC I thought. Kind of like Ryan Wing.

Ya know Jas, you and your favorites are starting to get on my nerves. It's Young this, Wing that. Get over yourself man. :lol:  :bringit

Jason got sooo excited when we were in Winston Salem last summer, he coaxed me and Mario into stalking Kris Honel into an applebee's.

Stalking Jason :nono