Johnson and Petis Fired

Chisoxfn

By: Mario Scalise

http://www.soxnet.net/johnsonfired.html

The last coach of Jerry Manuel's original staff was fired following Sunday's season finale loss to the Twins. Third base coach Wallace Johnson, who earned the nickname "wavin wally" for waving runners rounding third despite the placement of the ball, was fired by general manager Kenny Williams.

First base coach Gary Pettis will also lose his job and would be reassigned to the minors. Pettis, who was the Sox first base coach since 2001, was brought on board to help with baserunning, an area the Sox have shown little improvement in.

The remaining staff is expected to stay, including manager Jerry Manuel. Pitching coach Don Cooper, who replaced Nardi Contrares in July, will likely remain on staff. The Sox will name replacements after the world series.

I'm glad we made this move. Ken Williams has also named the likely sucessors.

At third base it appears that the Sox will name Wally Backman, the Barons(AA) manager, who was Southern League Manager of the Year. Then at first base the Sox will most likely hire Darryl Boston whose a minor league outfield instructor.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

I'm glad we made this move.  Ken Williams has also named the likely sucessors.

At third base it appears that the Sox will name Wally Backman, the Barons(AA) manager, who was Southern League Manager of the Year.  Then at first base the Sox will most likely hire Darryl Boston whose a minor league outfield instructor.

of course, d boston, his pal. that worthless piece of s***.

I'm glad we made this move.  Ken Williams has also named the likely sucessors.

At third base it appears that the Sox will name Wally Backman, the Barons(AA) manager, who was Southern League Manager of the Year.  Then at first base the Sox will most likely hire Darryl Boston whose a minor league outfield instructor.

Darryl Boston was a minor league OF instructor? This guy played the OF about as well as KW played 3B :mad:

Don't forget that Williams also fired his guy, Gary Petis or should I say demoted him.

Like RPS and I say, Backman is the guy I'm excited to get. He's an odd guy and a great baseball person who I'm sure will help our club and I also think he can tell Manuel and help the younger players out since he has them.

Like RPS and I say, Backman is the guy I'm excited to get.  He's an odd guy and a great baseball person who I'm sure will help our club and I also think he can tell Manuel and help the younger players out since he has them.

He's not here yet Jason. So don't get all excitied until he's actually a coach with the team.

Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Something is going to happen with mgt. Either KW is going to be allowed to bring in his guy which might be backman, or JR will hire a manager of his choice. JR had to approve of JM so KW might not have a lap dog next time. 

I think any call with have to go through JR. And it's a moot point right now, considering Manuel is still the manager.

Ya, I just don't see us getting off to a bad start. To me we have a more complete lineup this time around. We have solid players at 3rd, short, 2nd, first, center, left, and right with a DH. When I say solid I just mean good all around players, nothing great.

We also have solid pitching and if we get our #2 pitcher then we'll be in good shape. We have a deep pen and a solid bench with a good farm system.

the 3b coach is or was a jm guy. to me, the writting is in the sky, jm will be gone at some point.

pettis, still gets me, he one of kw lap dogs as kw is jr lap dog, i will say the boston is one of kw lap dogs as well.

i am not convince that bost has earned his promotion, unless you are talking about sucking up or something else, gives you the experience you need in being promoted.