Koch is no longer the closer...please

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two games ago he had thrown 7/1/3 scoreless had he not.  And today he didn't have the ball hit hard.  He had a single drop in front of Maggs because Maggs was playing incredibly deep.

The walk kicked his but, but I'm not near ready to give up on Koch.

Tough to hit the ball when it rarely goes over the plate. ;)

Did anybody else notice after he screwed up and loaded the bases

he actually seemed to pitch well?

I thought he had a good fastball and actually looked pretty good once

he screwed up and loaded the bases.

I could be wrong. Do you guys n gals agree or am I screwy in the head.

I coulda swore he had some pop on his fastball and looked like a true

closer once the bags were juiced.

You Koch haters need to shut the hell up and quit b****ing

W - Shingo (2 - 0)

L - BJ Ryan (0-1)?

S - Koch (5)

thats all I need to see right there

Hes getting the saves, where is your argument? You have none, shut the hell up and accept the fact that he IS our closer and IS closing games out

I thought he stepped it up, but I hated seeing him get in that situation. Bottom line, he got the job done when he didn't have his best control and I've seen him have pretty good stuff at parts this season too, when he looks close to unhittable (say during that scoreless streak).

I think Billy is slowly coming back and this will be a huge step forward for him. He got himself in an awful situation and pitched out of it. You can't expect it to happen that way all the time, but he knows he's the closer and he's only going to get better, imo.

Did anybody else notice after he screwed up and loaded the bases

he actually seemed to pitch well?

I thought he had a good fastball and actually looked pretty good once

he screwed up and loaded the bases.

I could be wrong. Do you guys n gals agree or am I screwy in the head.

I coulda swore he had some pop on his fastball and looked like a true

closer once the bags were juiced.

As I said earlier in this thread, Billy "Goat" Koch doesn't seem to be able to get things kicked into gear or focus until his butt is in the fire. Apparently, he's always been that way to some extent.

You Koch haters need to shut the hell up and quit b****ing

W - Shingo (2 - 0)

L - BJ Ryan (0-1)?

S - Koch (5)

thats all I need to see right there

Hes getting the saves, where is your argument? You have none, shut the hell up and accept the fact that he IS our closer and IS closing games out

Hey man, what do you know about it? I think it's pretty obvious that you're only looking at box scores.

And if you have been watching these games, then shame on you.

When Koch saves a game (and "saves" doesn't exactly seem like the right word) he does something I've never seen any other reliever do. He makes the fans of the other team go away happy. It almost seems like their team won. "Hey, we loaded the bases, just one more hit and we'd have come all the way back."

I fully expect us to lose every time he comes in.

He's like a car you have to drive because you can't afford a new one, and you don't want anyone you know to see you in it.

Viva Ozzie!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danny Wright had 14 wins in 2002, does that mean he is any good?  Koch is in the same boat as Danny Boy, they are both bad.

the difference is with that though, is that danny wright actually did pitch well that year.....he had flashes of being a really good pitcher. Then he got injured. Danny wright has sucked ass the past 2 years. He hasnt had a win in god knows how long. Billy has had 5 saves already this year, almost half of all he had last year. Im sticking with billy until he actually starts blowing saves.

From todays SouthTown:

By Joe Cowley

Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BALTIMORE — There were all kinds of adjectives being thrown around the White Sox clubhouse to describe Billy Koch's latest performance Wednesday night.

"Interesting," one player said.

"Nerve-wracking," said another.

But no description was better than Koch's own.

"It's (bleepin') pathetic," the Sox closer said. "It's not fair to the 24 other guys in this room, the coaching staff and the fans of Chicago. It's not fair to have to bite your nails down to a bloody stump watching me pitch.

"I apologize to everyone out there."

Gee, imagine what Koch would have said if he hadn't just earned a save.

Despite yet another shaky outing by Koch, the Sox managed to hold on in the ninth inning and beat Baltimore 6-5 in front of 20,978 at Camden Yards.

The victory gave the Sox the rubber game in the three-game series and kept the South Siders (17-10) atop the American League Central.

Called on to protect a two-run lead in the ninth, Koch walked Melvin Mora to lead off the inning, gave up a single to Miguel Tejada and walked Rafael Palmeiro to load the bases with no outs.

Ozzie Guillen got Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts working in the bullpen, but afterward the Sox manager said he had no intention of using either of them unless Koch blew the save opportunity.

Javy Lopez's sacrifice fly to left-center brought home Mora to make it a 6-5 game. Koch got Jay Gibbons to hit into a fielder's choice, putting runners at the corners with two outs. Luis Matos then grounded out to first baseman Paul Konerko to end the game.

It gave Koch his fifth save of the season and let Guillen breathe a big sigh of relief.

"I wish he could get it done easier like everyone does, but we have to get used to it," Guillen said. "The problem is walking people. You want your closer to throw strikes. I hope he makes it easier every once in a while."

Guillen reiterated that Koch remains the team's closer, which is why he stuck with him again Wednesday night.

"If he would have blown the save, then I would have brought someone else in," Guillen said. "Until he does that, he's my closer."

Of the 22 pitches Koch threw, 10 were strikes. In the Sox's 5-4 win Monday night, Koch threw 21 strikes out of 37 pitches in earning the save in another nail-biter.

"I talked to (catcher) Sandy (Alomar Jr.) after (Wednesday's) game and he mentioned that I was pulling my head off the target," Koch said. "The ball is going to go where the head goes. There was no reason in the world that I should walk these guys. Let them put the ball in play and get themselves out.

"I'm really happy we won the game, if you want to take a positive out of it. Is that the situation you want to be in? Absolutely not. It's a pathetic showing."

Koch wasn't going to find many teammates to dispute that.

Nail biter? At one point they showed Cooper in the dugout and I thought he going to bite the end of his finger off, he had two knuckles in his mouth.

Billy, Billy, Billy

I'm happy at least that Ozzie is getting guys warming up while Kroch is in there. :) Basically, this says that Koch is no longer THE closer. No manager who has a defined closer has other relievers warming up while the guy is pitching in the ninth.

Ozzie has gotten the message - Koch is done. Hopefully KW is burning up the wires trying to set up a deal later in the season for a real closer.

Anybody who is waiting for Koch to blow a save isn't making any sense. All closers blow saves occasionally (except Gagne) and you don't get rid of him because he makes a mistake. Are you really saying that Koch should be demoted because he blows 1 save? I doubt it. He should be demoted because he walks too many guys, his ERA is enormous and his fastball isn't fast enough - and those things are ALREADY facts. :bang

I'm sticking with Koch as well. The outcome is what matters most.

By the way, he was only trying to pad the Sox' "1 run game record" to 10-1. :)

He was just padding our stats again.

11-1 in 1 run games! :headbang

the difference is with that though, is that danny wright actually did pitch well that year.....he had flashes of being a really good pitcher.  Then he got injured.  Danny wright has sucked ass the past 2 years.  He hasnt had a win in god knows how long.  Billy has had 5 saves already this year, almost half of all he had last year.  Im sticking with billy until he actually starts blowing saves.

So it's OK as long as Koch doesn't give up more runs than we are ahead by..?? :huh

That is ridiculous. :bang

Hey man, what do you know about it?  I think it's pretty obvious that you're only looking at box scores.

And if you have been watching these games, then shame on you.

Box scores are all that matter

so if your gonna complain that we are winning and Koch is getting saves, then shame on you...

Box scores are all that matter

so if your gonna complain that we are winning and Koch is getting saves, then shame on you...

So if the score is 10-0, Billy is brought it and the game ends at 10-9.. you're OK with that..?

:unsure:

as a matter of fact if its 10 - 0 and Koch comes in and we win 10 - 9 I am perfectly fine with that..

im sure everyone on his board would be fine with that...

a win is a win, simple as that.. i dont see what the problem is here