Diaz Could Be a Closer

Butter Parque

From watching him last night, I realized that this guy has closer stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing him come out of the bullpen in the lte innings for us. He could be a productive closer. The only problem is, is that he seems to give up the home-run ball too much.

your right he does have closer stuff and also he can throw strikes and thats all u want from a closer

Are you sure you aren't looking at this issue simply from the fact he gave up 4 homers and didn't make it past the 5th? He may have been fairly effective for 3 innings, but that doesn't mean you assume he can be a closer. He has been groomed as a starter and one game even with 4 homers allowed is not a reason to now assume he can or should close games or just be sent to the bullpen. I almost think you are saying he should be punished? I know I am probably reading to much into the post but let's let the kind have at least one more chance to show what he can do. If he isn't ready look at Rausch, Cotts, Grilli or Munoz. I just don't want the Sox dragging this out though if the rookie falters. If we are going to win the championship we need a 5th starter to be successful now and not later after losing a half-dozen games.

Are you sure you aren't looking at this issue simply from the fact he gave up 4 homers and didn't make it past the 5th? He may have been fairly effective for 3 innings, but that doesn't mean you assume he can be a closer. He has been groomed as a starter and one game even with 4 homers allowed is not a reason to now assume he can or should close games or just be sent to the bullpen. I almost think you are saying he should be punished? I know I am probably reading to much into the post but let's let the kind have at least one more chance to show what he can do. If he isn't ready look at Rausch, Cotts, Grilli or Munoz. I just don't want the Sox dragging this out though if the rookie falters. If we are going to win the championship we need a 5th starter to be successful now and not later after losing a half-dozen games.

i was just saying he does have good enough stuff to be a closer, and no i personally do not think he should be punished i mean it was his first major league outing of his career he deserves at least two to three more outing to prove if he has what it takes to be the fifth starter

His fastball is in the high 80's low 90's.  Thats not closer speeds.

That's a myth. All of these guys close games without blazing fastballs:

Foulke, Hoffman, Isringhausen, Guardado, Cordero, Borowski, Smoltz, Herges, Valverde, Rivera, Graves, Mesa.

i was just saying he does have good enough stuff to be a closer, and no i personally do not think he should be punished i mean it was his first major league outing of his career he deserves at least two to three more outing to prove if he has what it takes to be the fifth starter

I hear you and respect your opinion. :usa