Kris Honel

aboz56

I know he's hurt, but any news on his return, how he's feeling, etc?

Rex, Baj, Bullard, anyone?

Honel--> they are taking it very slow with him. his elbow and shoulder are ok. they are just being very cautious with him and slowly getting him into a throwing program. he'll be down for a while still...at least that's what it looks like

Wing--> he is seeing Dr. Yocum in L.A. and I think he will be having shoulder surgery on his labrum! Not 100% positive on that, but that's the rumor.

Sorry for the dissapointing news! Baj

Thanks, I thought I had heard both may go under the knife.

Shoulders are worse for recovering from, hope all goes well with Ryan. Almost wish they would operate on Kris, elbows are almost routinely recovered from now days.

Thank ya Baj, appreciate the update.

Sucks to hear that about Wing, hopefully he can battle back from the surgery (if it happens) and be productive like he has been to this point in the Sox farm system.

Thanks, I thought I had heard both may go under the knife.

Shoulders are worse for recovering from, hope all goes well with Ryan. Almost wish they would operate on Kris, elbows are almost routinely recovered from now days.

Problem is MSF, they can't find anything wrong with his elbow. He has just lost velocity from what I hear but the pain has gone away. I am sure it is extremely frustrating not knowing what's going on. As Baj referred to, I think the throwing program will be designed to try and build arm strength back up.

Thanks for the info Baj.

Awful news on Wing. I really like the guy as a prospect, seems like a nice guy too. Hopefully he'll be able to recover better from his labrum injury then the recent Sox pitchers to undergo that surgery.

Hopefully Honels arm will start feeling stronger and he'll get things back in grove.

We need to start drafting pitchers with 99-100 mph fastballs. Because by the time they get here, all of our "power" pitchers lose about 5-6 mph :crying

Why is it that all of our pitchers lose velocity, is it the strength and conditioning program or is it that they have terrible pitching coachs up and down the system because it seems like every pitcher that that leaves the Sox somehow always picks up 4-5 mile an hour on his fastball. :fthecubs

I think it has to do with our organizations pitching style philosophy. They seem to chance power pitchers stance or throwing angle for more control. I personally hate it, we end up turning Dan Wright who had 95mph stuff coming out of Arkansas, into a 90-91 mph pitcher which are a dime a dozen.

Also, I think its we think they throw harder then they do because publications either project their velocity when they mention it, or base their consistent velocity based on the hardest pitch they have ever thrown in their lives.

Personally I don't have a flaw with it, but it has been a while since the Sox really had some flamethrowers in their system.

I agree Jason thats probably what is happening, I just hate it when BA and other places make comments that somebody has a 95 mph heater when they hit that maybe once or twice in an entire game. I'm perfectly happy with pitchers that sit at 93-95, I haven't seen much of that in our system even.

We need to start drafting pitchers with 99-100 mph fastballs. Because by the time they get here, all of our "power" pitchers lose about 5-6 mph :crying

Guys who throw 97-98+ are very hard to come by.

Street & Smiths had Kyle Kane reaching 99mph in Arizona league.

Someone said Joe Valentine could throw 97-98

Rex said Danny Wright could really bring it.

Barcelo in late 90s'....

Has Wyatt Allen's velocity returned?

That was some great information, thanks for showing me to that thread. When I saw Wyatt pitching at Tenn he was hitting 93-94 consistently, he has always had nice stuff, just command is the issue. I was kidding about the 99-100 mph guys, I know they are very hard to come by. I guess it just takes alot of luck to find a true power pitcher and keep him as a power pitcher. He has to have a strong arm first of all, then he has to stay healthy and keep working out to keep his arm strong.