Freddy Adu

The kid went around 5 players last night and nailed the upper 90 (upper corner) in a losing effort. Sick walk around and amazing goal. Any comments on this kid? My mom is getting me tickets for whe he plays the fire. I can't wait for the world cup. :headbang

He isn't that good. He will just be another good professional star when he grows up. He won't be the next Pele or anything.

Pele dominated in the 60s when they didn't have 6'4'', quick as a cat defenders.

They game has gotten tougher and faster (kinda like football since Jim Brown) -- it's that much harder to dominate it now. Maradonna, Ronaldo, Baggio (1994 WC) and a few others could single-handedly decide matches, but still.

Adu is fast and has great balance and all....but whether or not he will be a superstar will depend on, what else, soccer IQ. Very hard to project that.

i'm a very big soccer fan and this kid impresses me a lot. In fact, as crazy as it sounds, i think we have a legitimate shot at making a significant run in 2006. With young stars such as Donovan, Beasley, Convey and others such as Kirovski, Mathis and one of the better goalies in the world in Tim Howard (goalie for Man U) we will have a good team. Adu will be on the 2006 WC Roster IMO, but he wont start.

danman=not smart on this one

i think adu will dominate when he is older. The moves he has, the confidence already has and WILL GAIN will be unparallel, but the point made about the game is tougher true. We are going to dominate in the world cup my fellow posters. With a trip to the quarters last time with young talent the next time we go we will go with experience and an amazing goalie. Tim Howard=top 20 US athlete.

Please, US soccer needs every ounce of help in marketing and just getting peoples attention. Freddy Adu is going to be the only people watch in this country.

He won't be good enough by 2006. He didn't even make the U-20 squad this past year. There is no way he will make the national team in 2006. 2010 is when he will begin to make his mark. I still think he can be a star player, but he won't be a Ronaldo, Baggio, etc. He needs to grow and get stronger. Both things should be able to happen if he is really 14, lol.

He won't be good enough by 2006. He didn't even make the U-20 squad this past year. There is no way he will make the national team in 2006. 2010 is when he will begin to make his mark. I still think he can be a star player, but he won't be a Ronaldo, Baggio, etc. He needs to grow and get stronger. Both things should be able to happen if he is really 14, lol.

what's to say he wont be like Ronaldo (who is overrated IMO) or Baggio? Why wont he be? He is 14 playing on a PROFESSIONAL level. He has 2 goals already. He's only gonna get better. I think he is going to grow into one of the best players in the world. Hey, maybe it takes 10 years, but by then he'll still only be 24

That's probably because you're an attention span-challenged idiot.

j/k but not really

Brando, you've had the knack on me since day one. You dont have to like me, you dont have to agree with me, but you dont have to add stupid humorless statements that are 100% irrelevant to the thread at hand.

I dont like soccer, you do, great tell me why i should think 0-0 ties 90% of the time are exciting?

For all you Freddy Adu lovers:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=301323&cc=5901

WASHINGTON -- As if a major soccer contract weren't enough, Freddy Adu now has something else to make fellow 14-year-olds envious: a high school diploma.

The D.C. United forward graduated Friday morning from the Edison Academy in Bradenton, Fla., donning a cap and gown for the ceremony at the St. Peter and Paul Church.

I dont like soccer, you do, great tell me why i should think 0-0 ties 90% of the time are exciting?

I'll you let figure it out on your own.

Hint: it's the same "reason" why best Sopranos episodes are the ones where

noone gets whacked.

:cheers