Odalis Perez

Kip Wells

Toma Ohka

Al Leiter

Jeff Weaver

Jamie Moyer

Shawn Estes

Kris Benson

We could get anyone of these pitchers. Some might cost more than others, and some we shouldn't even get :lol:, but all of them are theoretically avaliable. ;)

I would like to hear which guy any of you would go after and why. I will post mine in a bit. :)

Randy Johnson-I would love to have him, too much to give up I think.

Tom Glavine-Yes please.

Steve Trachsel-Having a solid year, I would take him.

Joe Kennedy-Also have a decent year, could be servicable.

Freddy Garcia-Yes.

Kaz Ishii-Yep, LA may want a lot, I dunno.

Odalis Perez-Yes.

Kip Wells-No.

Toma Ohka-Intriging, could be a dependable 5th.

Al Leiter-YES!

Jeff Weaver-Nope.

Jamie Moyer-Sure

Shawn Estes-Hell no.

Kris Benson-Nope.

Here they are:

Randy Johnson

Tom Glavine

Steve Trachsel

Joe Kennedy

Freddy Garcia

Kaz Ishii

Odalis Perez

Kip Wells

Toma Ohka

Al Leiter

Jeff Weaver

Jamie Moyer

Shawn Estes

Kris Benson

We could get anyone of these pitchers. Some might cost more than others, and some we shouldn't even get :lol:, but all of them are theoretically avaliable. ;)

I would like to hear which guy any of you would go after and why. I will post mine in a bit. :)

Randy Johnson and Tom Glavine (to a lesser degree) are the only two that would improve our chances of winning a World Series.

I have my eyes on the prize, although I'm not so sure about others if all this Freddy Garcia talk is any indication.

Tom Glavine - I would love to have him. He'd bring playoff experience, and he's been awesome thus far. I wouldn't mind a playoff rotation of Buerhle-Loaiza-Glavine.

Freddy Garcia-I think he would be a great fit here in Chicago. He and Ozzie are buddies, so I think Oz would find a way to get the best out of him. He has awesome stuff, he just tends to be mentally unstable up on the mound sometimes, which is where I think Oz would help out.

Kip Wells - I'd love to have Kipper back. He's been solid with the Bucs, but I dunno if he would be able to help in the playoffs. That's why I tend to like Glavine/Garcia more, but then again, I don't know his mentality. He could be just as good in the playoffs as a Garcia would be.

Randy Johnson and Tom Glavine (to a lesser degree) are the only two that would improve our chances of winning a World Series. 

I have my eyes on the prize, although I'm not so sure about others if all this Freddy Garcia talk is any indication.

Agreed, those are the two that would take us to the promised land.

Garcia is better then Glavine.

I think we'll have to disagree there. In 17 years Glavine has only had 5 years with an ERA over 4 and has never allowed more than 30HRs in a season. Not to mention the huge amount of postseason experience he's had (194IP). He didn't pitch great last season, but he didn't exactly pitch poorly either. Looked more like an off year considering he was 18-11 with a 2.96ERA in 2002.

Garcia on the other hand has 3 seasons with an ERA over 4.00 in just 5 years of pitching. He's allowed more than 30HRs twice in that 5 year span, this should be a concern considering the Cell is a hitter's park. Garcia has only pitched 34 innings of postseason ball.

Glavine would have a tremendous impact on Buehrle and Schoe, showing them the ropes. Freddy Garcia wouldn't help anyone on our staff.

Who would be a better playoff pitcher, Garcia (power) or Glavine (finesse)? Something to think about.

I'd be more partial to the Sox getting a power pitcher rather than a finesse pitcher myself, even if the names aren't Garcia and Glavine. Esp. as the Sox are lacking the former and have two LH finesse pitchers.

How about this for a couple of crazy theoretical names. Matt Clement and/or Kerry Wood. What if the Cubs injuries continue and they freefall out of the race. Both Wood and Clement are eligible for free agency after this season, and the Cubs don't sound like they are going to bring back Clement.

Would one of these guys be someone we should deal for, and who should we give up for them?

I'd say there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

They will compete with a healthy squad. They are hanging in as is.

Let's say they did fall completely out and were looking to deal. Do you think they'd trade someone of Wood's status to the other side of town?

Of all the players on that list many of them are not even close to the radar screen for the sox. The sox dont want to take on guys who have HUGE contracts for more then one year ala Randy Johnson / Tom Glavine forget about it wont happen. We should be loooking more on the line of Freddy Garcia who makes like 6 mil but seattle would pick up some of his pay.

I think we'll have to disagree there.  In 17 years Glavine has only had 5 years with an ERA over 4 and has never allowed more than 30HRs in a season.  Not to mention the huge amount of postseason experience he's had (194IP).  He didn't pitch great last season, but he didn't exactly pitch poorly either.  Looked more like an off year considering he was 18-11 with a 2.96ERA in 2002. 

Garcia on the other hand has 3 seasons with an ERA over 4.00 in just 5 years of pitching.  He's allowed more than 30HRs twice in that 5 year span, this should be a concern considering the Cell is a hitter's park.  Garcia has only pitched 34 innings of postseason ball.

Glavine would have a tremendous impact on Buehrle and Schoe, showing them the ropes.  Freddy Garcia wouldn't help anyone on our staff.

:notworthy

The playoff rotation would be set up like this:

1. Glavine (194 IP in the playoffs!)

2. Loaiza

3. Buehrle (home opener against the Yankees)

4. Garland

Works for me!

As opposed to:

1. Buehrle

2. Loaiza

3. Garcia (home opener against the Yankees?)

4. Garland

I say hell no!

Personally, I think Freddie Garcia will be the best "available" in that I don't think half of those guys listed are going anywhere. Although, if I thought that the Mets were truly shopping Glavine around, he'd move to the top on my list.

You might want to add Livan Hernandez to the list. I'm not exactly high on him, but he's posted some pretty solid numbers for a horrible Montreal team. He's also been a stud in the playoffs, which believe it or not, hold some importance now.