Best starting pitchers theoretically available

SoxAce

I think we'll have to disagree there.  In 17 years Glavine has only had 5 years with an ERA over 4 and has never allowed more than 30HRs in a season.  Not to mention the huge amount of postseason experience he's had (194IP).  He didn't pitch great last season, but he didn't exactly pitch poorly either.  Looked more like an off year considering he was 18-11 with a 2.96ERA in 2002. 

Garcia on the other hand has 3 seasons with an ERA over 4.00 in just 5 years of pitching.  He's allowed more than 30HRs twice in that 5 year span, this should be a concern considering the Cell is a hitter's park.  Garcia has only pitched 34 innings of postseason ball.

Glavine would have a tremendous impact on Buehrle and Schoe, showing them the ropes.  Freddy Garcia wouldn't help anyone on our staff.

I'll agree to disagree. Trust me I'd love to have either but would want Garcia more. Last year was definitely a down year for Glavine but even in 2002 he got off to a great start but slowed down a little. His era in the 2nd half in 2002 was 3.93, while not horrible, pitching in the national league that ain't all to great. He'd worry me a little bit coming down the stretch and for that reason alone I think Garcia would be a better pickup, imo.

I think Garcia has the potential to be dominating in a playoff game, but at the same time could be a complete flop. I think Glavine is more consistent and you'll get a good start out of him, maybe not a dominating performance. So the risk/reward with Garcia is higher, especially since he's a power pitcher.

That being said, i'll take either of them right now, with a lean towards Garcia.

I'll agree to disagree.  Trust me I'd love to have either but would want Garcia more.  Last year was definitely a down year for Glavine but even in 2002 he got off to a great start but slowed down a little.  His era in the 2nd half in 2002 was 3.93, while not horrible, pitching in the national league that ain't all to great.  He'd worry me a little bit coming down the stretch and for that reason alone I think Garcia would be a better pickup, imo.

You need to just dispose of all the numbers in Glavine's case. The guy can just flat out pitch. He's a first ballot hall of famer without question. And he still has a couple years left, as opposed to guys like Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, etc.

I have heard on sports talk around here that when he was with the Cubs, it was all about him, and it was never his fault they lost when he pitched. He never could do wrong. If that is truley the case, that is not needed in the clubhouse.

He's been a solid contributor to the Mets for a few years now. If he was like that with the Flubs, I would assume he's matured beyond that now, or he'd be history as far as MLB is concerned.

He's been a solid contributor to the Mets for a few years now.  If he was like that with the Flubs, I would assume he's matured beyond that now, or he'd be history as far as MLB is concerned.

Trachsel is one of those guys that just flat out sucked for a while there with four straight losing seasons up until his 2002 season in which he went 11-11 with a 3.37 ERA in 30 starts, and then 16-10 last year with a 3.78 ERA in 33 starts. He allowed less hits than innings pitched in 2002 and 2003. In fact, throughout his career, he has allowed 1994 hits in 1965 IP. I figured that it would have been much worse than that.

And he's only 33. He'll probably be effective for another four or five years. Basically, he'd make on hell of a fifth starter.

Did I miss a trade or something the Expos said saying that Livan Hernandez is not available? He makes around $7 mill a year, and I'm sure a trade could be worked out to get him here. He's not your typical ace, but he's thrown very well for Montreal the past couple years, and has pitched in two World Series with the Marlins and Giants(and was the MVP of the 97 World Series). He's got good stuff and a rubber arm. What's not to like?

I say we work a deal with the Mets, they seem to be our favorite trading partner recently... but either Leiter, Glavine, or Trachsel would make our rotation AMAZING. Look at Leiter and Trachsel's stats and you'll see that even though their records arent great (last year for example), their ERA's are. Trachsel even had 16 wins last year FOR THE METS! he'd be a helluva pickup, all of them have Playoff experience. I say thats the direction we go, they have an offence thats really lacking, especially in the outfield... they'd prolly go for borchard or another outfield prospect.... just a thought