Joe Borchard

DBAHO

From the Daily Herald,

SEATTLE - White Sox starting pitcher Jon Garland delivered a quality performance in Friday night's 4-2 win over the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field.

Counterpart Freddy Garcia pitched well while taking the loss, but how much longer will he be wearing a Seattle uniform?

With the Mariners all but eliminated from contention in the AL West, it's no secret general manager Bill Bavasi is shopping Garcia, who is eligible for free agency at the end of the season.

When a local report tabbed the White Sox as Garcia's most likely new home, Sox GM Kenny Williams didn't exactly know how to respond.

"Great for us,'' Williams said. "I'm really happy to hear that.''

On a more serious note, Williams didn't deny the speculation. But he did quash rumors that Class AAA outfielder Joe Borchard would be a part of the proposed trade for Garcia.

"Borchard's not going anywhere,'' Williams said.

The White Sox have an obvious need for another starting pitcher in a rotation that is only four deep at the moment. And there's no denying the 27-year-old Garcia, a combined 46-30 from 2001-03, would bring immediate relief.

Garcia (3-4) allowed the Sox 4 runs on 7 hits over 7¿ innings. Garland (5-2) worked 7º innings and gave up 2 runs on 4 hits.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and Garcia are both native Venezuelans. They are also extremely close.

"He's one of my best friends in baseball,'' Guillen said. "We're so close that when you see me in Venezuela, you will see Freddy Garcia somewhere.''

Guillen didn't want to talk about the trade rumors, other than to say, "To me, Garcia is one of the best pitchers in the game right now. I think every team in baseball would want to have him.''

The Sox wanted to have Magglio Ordonez on the field in Friday's victory, but the star right fielder is facing exploratory arthroscopic surgery on his left knee today. Ordonez is expected to miss 6-7 weeks.

Fortunately for the White Sox, Carlos Lee and Frank Thomas are both swinging hot bats.

Lee increased his hitting streak to 20 games with an RBI double off Garcia with two outs in the eighth inning.

Thomas has also been in a groove, and the veteran designated hitter extended his hitting streak to 14 games with a 2-run homer (No. 12) in the fourth inning. Thomas also singled in the sixth.

"We're going to miss Magglio, without a doubt,'' Guillen said. "It's hard when our best hitter is missing, but those guys know how to step up and cover the hole.''

Timo Perez got the start in right field Friday and delivered an RBI single in the seventh inning.

With Ordonez on the shelf, Guillen said he's not planning on altering his managing style.

"I'm not going to change anything,'' Guillen said. "I have a lot of confidence in Timo and (Ross) Gload. Hopefully, they can perform like Magglio. I doubt it, I don't expect it. But I think they can do the job over there.''

If this is the case, guys like Rowand and Perez could be part of trades, rather than Reed, Borchard or the younger prospects.

I think Seattle won't trade Garcia to us without Borchard being put in the deal. They want young positon players who will play reguarly for them in the future. Look I think it's a MAJOR steal if we can trade Rowand and Rauch for Garcia and I think Bavasi is an idiot if he settles for that. A team like the Mets IF still in contention could really overpay for Freddy by offering a prospect like David Wright for him. ;)

I think Seattle won't trade Garcia to us without Borchard being put in the deal. They want young positon players who will play reguarly for them in the future. Look I think it's a MAJOR steal if we can trade Rowand and Rauch for Garcia and I think Bavasi is an idiot if he settles for that. A team like the Mets IF still in contention could really overpay for Freddy by offering a prospect like David Wright for him.  ;)

I think you're overestimating the value of a rent-a-player. There's no way Garcia is worth a top prospect out of any organization. Look at all of last year's deals for 1/2 season FAs and you won't find a single impact player traded in return. Rowand/Rauch seems like an extremely reasonable offer, if not too much. SEA just wants to dump the salary and get more than a draft pick.

I think you're overestimating the value of a rent-a-player.  There's no way Garcia is worth a top prospect out of any organization.  Look at all of last year's deals for 1/2 season FAs and you won't find a single impact player traded in return.  Rowand/Rauch seems like an extremely reasonable offer, if not too much.  SEA just wants to dump the salary and get more than a draft pick.

It's not like Freddy Garcia is a bad pitcher though. Consider last year's deadline deals, Aaron Boone went to New York for the Yankees TOP prospect Brandon Claussen and 2 others I believe. Rowand won't play for them everyday when they already hav Winn, Ichiro and Ibanez, and Rauch won't be in their rotation either when they hav the like of Nageotte and Blackney at AAA. Some team will overpay for Garcia, I'm just not sure it'll be us. It's not like Borchard is goin to be an impact player this season or anythin either.

If Kw feels that strong about him then he not JB should of been called up.

They are keeping him in AAA to keep his numbers up, his value is finally back to where it was 2 years ago. Let him keep putting up AAA numbers. If he was called up and struggled his value decreases.

If Kw feels that strong about him then he not JB should of been called up.

Cos he wasn't goin to get regular playing time in RF with Timo Perez, Aaron Rowand and Ross Gload already splittin the duties. Mite as well leave him in Charlotte. ;)

I want to see Borchard up with the big club also, but only if he gets playing time. I understand that we have others in the OF right now who deserve to play and have done well. Now, if getting Garcia means trading someone like Perez or Rowand, maybe Borchard will be called up. I just don't think getting Freddie Garcia as a rent-a-player for half the season and have no ability or committment to sign him is worth any of our top prospects and for that matter any of our players on the roster now. We have a good solid ball club and everyone contributes. That is what makes a winner and not a rental. Garcia is a good pitcher, but we get bit everytime we trade prospects. I think we can find that 5th starter in the minors. Granted we haven't seen much yet, but these guys need to realize that they need to step up. Think how we will be feeling when we get that guy that finally puts up a win from the 5th spot.

I believe Borchard is not in Chicago right now for one reason and one reason only...... he is not 100% healthy. Keep in mind at the same time Maggs went down with the injuries, Borchard was sitting for 5 or so straight games. If Borchard has a good week or two, expect him to be in Chicago soon if Maggs will indeed be out more than a month.

I believe Borchard is not in Chicago right now for one reason and one reason only......    he is not 100% healthy.  Keep in mind at the same time Maggs went down with the injuries, Borchard was sitting for 5 or so straight games.  If Borchard has a good week or two, expect him to be in Chicago soon if Maggs will indeed be out more than a month.

I'd rather have Borchard than Rowand and Perez

Rowand and Perez... :puke

Cos he wasn't goin to get regular playing time in RF with Timo Perez, Aaron Rowand and Ross Gload already splittin the duties. Mite as well leave him in Charlotte.  ;)

Again none of those 3 are that good that JB cannot be playing before them.

I believe Borchard is not in Chicago right now for one reason and one reason only......    he is not 100% healthy.  Keep in mind at the same time Maggs went down with the injuries, Borchard was sitting for 5 or so straight games.  If Borchard has a good week or two, expect him to be in Chicago soon if Maggs will indeed be out more than a month.

I agree. I think once Borchard gets a few games under his belt he will be up. If you ask me the package will center around Rauch, Rowand, and another prospect, possibly a good lower level one or another AAAer, maybe even a Felix Diaz type.