Jered Weaver

DBAHO

Scott Boras is really killing his value right now, looks like he could go to the Rockies at #9 but they mite not want to deal with Boras, so most signs seem to be pointing to the Dodgers at #17 who could actually afford him. My question is though, if Weaver is still available at #18, would you pick him? Even if we don't sign him, we still end up with a supplemental first rounder in next year's draft. :o

Personally, if that is true, I find it appalling.

John Kruk said it best on Baseball Tonight a few nights ago.. He said it is an honor to play Major League Baseball and not a right as some of these guys treat it. Players should be happy when they are drafted regardless by who, sign their deal and start playing the game. Baseball will reward those who are good enough to stick around the game.

I figure if there is a time for the owners to get together and work on a little collusion, draft bonuses are the right subject. Draftees are not protected by the union therefore, the owners would only need a little resolve to rein in bonuses. Problem is, they have never been too good about showing such resolve as a group.

I figure if there is a time for the owners to get together and work on a little collusion, draft bonuses are the right subject.  Draftees are not protected by the union therefore, the owners would only need a little resolve to rein in bonuses.  Problem is, they have never been too good about showing such resolve as a group.

:lol:

Like that will ever happen. There will always be one Tom Hicks in the group. All it takes is one Organization handing out large bonuses, and the rest pretty much have to fall in line, or suffer without being able to get the top talent.

--------------------

What type of bonus was he looking for? I thought that SD was gonig to be able to pay for anyone they wanted.

Scott Boras is really killing his value right now, looks like he could go to the Rockies at #9 but they mite not want to deal with Boras, so most signs seem to be pointing to the Dodgers at #17 who could actually afford him. My question is though, if Weaver is still available at #18, would you pick him? Even if we don't sign him, we still end up with a supplemental first rounder in next year's draft.  :o

Hell yes I would. The guy could potentially make an impact this season and is a pretty damn good pitcher. Heck, his demands may slide and either way he'd be worth the money (Not 10 mill, but get him down a few mill).

I think their is a decent chance that he slides to the Dodgers, its likely they take him, but if they don't, its gonna be hard to pass that type of player up.

He's not the only one falling because of asking price, Verlander is also falling out of the top ten because he's asking for more than Mark Prior received. Would you guys take him if available and hope he comes to his senses? He has awesome stuff, and not so awesome control right now.

He's not the only one falling because of asking price, Verlander is also falling out of the top ten because he's asking for more than Mark Prior received. Would you guys take him if available and hope he comes to his senses? He has awesome stuff, and not so awesome control right now.

Verlander is damaged goods... Let me see if I can find the link. I think it was BP.

Edit: Found it

Justin Verlander, Old Dominion, 3.49 ERA, 105.2 IP, 151 K, 43BB, 8 HR.  A handy chart:

Year     PAP       ERA

2002     510616    1.90

2003     666398    2.40

In addition, he served as the staff ace for Team USA over the summer of 2003.  Verlander is, by most accounts, a really nice kid, but if your local GM drafts him, think about moving.