Who is the Best Leadoff Hitter ever?

SoxAce

Who do you guys think is the best leadoff hitter ever?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you guys think is the best leadoff hitter ever?

• Rickey Henderson
    • Richie Ashburn
    • Billy Hamilton
    • Topsy Hartsel
    • Wade Boggs
    • Mickey Rivers
    • Rod Carew
    • Lou Brock
    • Kenny Lofton
    • Other

Just wanted to hear what you guys say is the best lead-off hitter ever.. I know I left some names off for consideration but these are the ones who, IMO, are the best of the best and I could only put 10 answers. :)

BTW, I left out Cobb, Rose, Collins cause they didnt bat leaoff too much in their careers but if you like them, vote for "other." Cobb definitely was the greatest if he had the amount of at-bats. Also, Raines didn't have a HOF career, but was a hell of a lead-off hitter also. Just wanted to hear what you guys say is the best lead-off hitter ever.. I know I left some names off for consideration but these are the ones who, IMO, are the best of the best and I could only put 10 answers. :)

I'm sure everyone will pick Rickey, but some of these players were really underrated (Topsy Hartsel esp.) and were really great table setters. I just want to see if anyone would choose someone different and why. Just wanted to talk about something. :bringit (also, Ashburn was one of the greatest leadoff hitters there was for anyone that doesn't know about him.)

Also, Tim Raines, Burt Shotton, Harry Hooper, Bob Bescher, Roy Thomas, George Burns and Miller Huggins also deserve consideration. ;)

You're right about one thing, I am also one who would pick Ricky. Brock was great, and also stole a ton of bases. Ricky did also. but had more HR power on top of that. Boggs was a hitting machine, but lacked base stealing abilities. Carew......without a doubt, the best slap in the hole place hitter I have ever seen. It was literally impossible for fielders to know how to play this guy. But again, not the HR power of Rickey, nor his agressivenes and speed that he had. Everyone on the list had some special qualities, but Rickey is probably the only one that had all of them maxed out all at once for many years. HR power, speed, agressiveness. the guy was just flat out dangerous!

Im a young kid, and only saw two of those guys play, so my vote goes to Rickey Henderson.

Agreed. Before I discovered the Sox, Rickey Henderson was my favorite player. He definitely brought a lot to the table. He could hit for power, had the speed, and could draw walks.

Just wanted to hear what you guys say is the best lead-off hitter ever.. I know I left some names off for consideration but these are the ones who, IMO, are the best of the best and I could only put 10 answers. :)

BTW, I left out Cobb, Rose, Collins cause they didnt bat leaoff too much in their careers but if you like them, vote for "other." Cobb definitely was the greatest if he had the amount of at-bats. Also, Raines didn't have a HOF career, but was a hell of a lead-off hitter also. Just wanted to hear what you guys say is the best lead-off hitter ever.. I know I left some names off for consideration but these are the ones who, IMO, are the best of the best and I could only put 10 answers. :)

I'm sure everyone will pick Rickey, but some of these players were really underrated (Topsy Hartsel esp.) and were really great table setters. I just want to see if anyone would choose someone different and why. Just wanted to talk about something. :bringit (also, Ashburn was one of the greatest leadoff hitters there was for anyone that doesn't know about him.)

Also, Tim Raines, Burt Shotton, Harry Hooper, Bob Bescher, Roy Thomas, George Burns and Miller Huggins also deserve consideration. ;)

WOW!!! Great poll and thread. I luv thse kinda threads. I love the game so much that i love it's history.

I'm gonna have to say Rickey. Cuase he could do many things. Brock was good but Rickey IMO was the Best.

I saw Boggs more as a 2 hole hitter

JReed. Great poll :notworthy

Henderson or Carew.

My dads favorite, Kenny Lofton, wouldn't make the list. I keep telling the old chap that he would be incredibly wrong, because Lofton only hit in April. Still won't agree with me that yet again, Lofton is a piece of s***. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen this critter in a little while so... :lizard

Ricky is the best Ricky to ever play in Ricky's era because Ricky goes out and the opposing team can't stop Ricky.

ROTFLMAO!!! :lolhitting

And why isn't Ray Durham on this list.... :huh

Just kidding!!!! :lol:

The reasons why i think Pete:

All-time Major League record for most career hits-4,256

All-time Major League record for most games played-3,562

All-time Major League record for most at bats-14,053

All-time Major League record for most singles-3,315

All-time Major League record for most total bases by a switch hitter-5,752

All-time Major League record for most seasons of 200 or more hits-10

All-time Major League record for most consecutive seasons of 100 or more hits-23

All-time Major League record for most seasons with 600 or more at bats-17

All-time Major League record for most seasons with 150 or more games played--17

All-time Major League record for most seasons with 100 or more games played-23

Only player in Major League history to play more than 500 games at five different

Positions-1B (939) 2B (628) 3B (634) LF (671) RF (595)

Major League record for playing in the most winning games-1,972

All-time National League record for most years played-24

All-time National League record for most consecutive years played-24

All-time National League record for most career runs-2,165

All-time National League record for most career doubles-746

All-time National League record for most games with 5 or more hits-10

Modern National League record for longest consecutive game hitting streak-44

Modern National League Record for most consecutive game hitting streaks of 20

or more games--7

The reasons why i think Pete:

All-time Major League record for most career hits-4,256

All-time Major League record for most games played-3,562

All-time Major League record for most at bats-14,053

All-time Major League record for most singles-3,315

All-time Major League record for most total bases by a switch hitter-5,752

All-time Major League record for most seasons of 200 or more hits-10

All-time Major League record for most consecutive seasons of 100 or more hits-23

All-time Major League record for most seasons with 600 or more at bats-17

All-time Major League record for most seasons with 150 or more games played--17

All-time Major League record for most seasons with 100 or more games played-23

Only player in Major League history to play more than 500 games at five different

Positions-1B (939) 2B (628) 3B (634) LF (671) RF (595)

Major League record for playing in the most winning games-1,972

All-time National League record for most years played-24

All-time National League record for most consecutive years played-24

All-time National League record for most career runs-2,165

All-time National League record for most career doubles-746

All-time National League record for most games with 5 or more hits-10

Modern National League record for longest consecutive game hitting streak-44

Modern National League Record for most consecutive game hitting streaks of 20

or more games--7

Pete Rose...glorified singles hitter AND an egotistical, degenerate gambler, pathological liar, douchebag!!!

gotta go with ricky because he's the one on the list i've seen the most of. his combination of speed and power was unmatched, plus he was a great fielder. who knows he might be playin for somebody again here soon.

IMO, putting Lofton on but leaving Raines off is BS. Lofton doesn't have the OBP that Raines has nor does he have the SBs that Raines had(given, Raines did play in a SB-happy era in the 80s, when Vince Coleman once stole 107 bases with a .232 average and an OBP of .301), but Lofton won't get the 808 that Raines had.

I voted Rickey though. No one is even close. Career OBP of .401, 1406 SBs, and a SB% of 80%? Insane. No one was better then Rickey...ever.

I have seen 3 of the best, Ricky, Raines, and Lofton.

As a kid I feared Kenny Lofton when he went to the plate. He was the God of the leadoff position in the 90's. However Ricky is the best leadoff hitter ever and he got my vote.

If Deion Sanders had been able to hit a curve ball, he would have been up there with the best of them (assuming he dedicated himself to baseball).