White Sox Draft Fields In the 1st

Chisoxfn

White Sox Draft Fields in the 1st

By Jason Gage

June 7, 2004

FutureSox.com

The White Sox have selected Oklahoma State 3rd baseman Josh Fields with their 1st round pick. Fields is a two sport star that also plays quarterback for the Cowboys.

Fields not only fills a need in the organization, 3rd base), but he also has a very high upside and had some of the most power potential of any player in the draft. Fields had a very strong Big 12 conference showing and rates out as a very good player, who is still a little raw.

Defensively Fields has room to grow, but he does have a strong, accurate arm, and improving footwork. With time most scouts believe that Fields will develop into a solid, if not good defensive 3rd baseman.

Still, offense is the reason he was drafted early and the kid can rake it. He has a very nice swing that creates a ton of power and he also should be able to hit for an average.

Other Rumors: Baseball America has reported that the White Sox are very interested in LHP Jason Vargas (Long Beach State), and catcher Jason Jaramillo (Oklahoma State). Both Vargas and Jamarillo are talented players. Another player still on the board that may interest the White Sox is BJ Szymanski (Princeton). Szymanski is an outfielder from Princeton with a ton of upside that was expected to go in the 1st round.

The White Sox pick next at 34th overall, so 3 teams are picking ahead of them. After 34, then they select at 38th and then the draft moves into the 2nd round.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

College football quarter == big-time reach.

Most of them bust.

bad pick

You've posted the same damn thing in three seperate forums.

You're making an uneducated and frankly a stupid assumption. Please, please, have knowledge of something before you waste bandwidth.

:fyou

You've posted the same damn thing in three seperate forums. 

You're making an uneducated and frankly a stupid assumption.  Please, please, have knowledge of something before you waste bandwidth.

:fyou

Sounds to me like you are the one wasting bandwidth... :rolleyes:

Josh Fields will be nothing more than a bust, so maybe you should get some knowledge before you post, kiddo.

I don't claim to have ever seen Fields play prior to watching four minutes of video today so I'm not in position to make predictions here.

Aboz, give me some reason beyond him being a football player for why he will be a "bust." Because all of the reviews I've read lead me to believe that this was a pretty astute pick.

Aboz, give me some reason beyond him being a football player for why he will be a "bust."  Because all of the reviews I've read lead me to believe that this was a pretty astute pick.

Cause Borchard has been one so far.. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like you are the one wasting bandwidth... :rolleyes:

Josh Fields will be nothing more than a bust, so maybe you should get some knowledge before you post, kiddo.

You mean like Joe Borchard? It's nice to see this guy is on your s*** list. It really means he sucks. For the sake of staying out of arguments try not to say everything as it is fact. You know nothing more than any other draft expert who said he should be picked here. You are welcome to your opinion as is he, but there is no need for him to continue to repeat himself.

You mean like Joe Borchard? It's nice to see this guy is on your s*** list. It really means he sucks. For the sake of staying out of arguments try not to say everything as it is fact. You know nothing more than any other draft expert who said he should be picked here. You are welcome to your opinion as is he, but there is no need for him to continue to repeat himself.

Thank you!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I don't claim to have ever seen Fields play prior to watching four minutes of video today so I'm not in position to make predictions here.

Aboz, give me some reason beyond him being a football player for why he will be a "bust."  Because all of the reviews I've read lead me to believe that this was a pretty astute pick.

Honestly, I am really not sure what type of player he will be. More or less, after looking at the Sox 1st rounders over the past 10 years, what guys have not been a bust?

Sure, Fields looks like a solid power bat, but there are huge questions about his arm, as one scouting report only calls it "playable" at best. For a guy who is supposedly a college QB, why is his arm so weak?

More or less, I am of the belief that you take pitching early in the draft, as I feel it's most important above all else. Others would disagree with me for various reasons. But take Tampa Bay for example, they have taken loads of talented offensive players (Crawford, Baldelli, Hamilton, Upton, Young, etc.) but have no pitching whatsoever that has developed. They'll never be a winner without a good balance.

There were other more talented players on the board at this time, mainly college pitchers, which this draft was stocked with, whom I would have rather see the Sox take. Third base to me is not a primary need, sure we are weak lower in the organization, but I feel pretty confident that Crede will be our mainstay at 3rd for a while. Last year, with Brian Anderson, we knew what we were getting, a 5 tool player who has a chance to be great. While Josh Fields may turn out to be a solid player, it's hard to hear anyone say that he has a chance to be great.

And also, I am somewhat just calling him a bust to annoy some of the so-called 15 year old experts around here with all of that GM experience in their careers... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I am really not sure what type of player he will be.  More or less, after looking at the Sox 1st rounders over the past 10 years, what guys have not been a bust?

Sure, Fields looks like a solid power bat, but there are huge questions about his arm, as one scouting report only calls it "playable" at best.  For a guy who is supposedly a college QB, why is his arm so weak?

More or less, I am of the belief that you take pitching early in the draft, as I feel it's most important above all else. Others would disagree with me for various reasons.  But take Tampa Bay for example, they have taken loads of talented offensive players (Crawford, Baldelli, Hamilton, Upton, Young, etc.) but have no pitching whatsoever that has developed.  They'll never be a winner without a good balance.

There were other more talented players on the board at this time, mainly college pitchers, which this draft was stocked with, whom I would have rather see the Sox take.  Third base to me is not a primary need, sure we are weak lower in the organization, but I feel pretty confident that Crede will be our mainstay at 3rd for a while.  Last year, with Brian Anderson, we knew what we were getting, a 5 tool player who has a chance to be great.  While Josh Fields may turn out to be a solid player, it's hard to hear anyone say that he has a chance to be great.

And also, I am somewhat just calling him a bust to annoy some of the so-called 15 year old experts around here with all of that GM experience in their careers... :rolleyes:

IN THE MLB DRAFT YOU DO NOT DRAFT BASED ON NEED

Honestly, do I have to beat that into your skull any more?

aboz and ugly, whats your problem? I am guessing that neither of you have seen him play on a regular basis, yet you are calling him a bust before he even takes 1 AB with the Sox. You are 2 of the better posters on this board, but your overly negative comments on a player that you haven't seen consistantly makes the two of your look stupid. You will notice the majority of former 2 sport athletes were drafted almost solely on potential. Fields on the other has a consistant track record of sucess at a big time college baseball school in a big time college baseball conference. Thats what seperates him from most of the previous 2 sport athletes. Might I suggest that you give him a chance before you post all this negative crap, because you 2 look like the "busts" when you do that.