An Overview of the First Day

Chisoxfn

An Overview of the First Day

By Jason Gage

June 7, 2004

FutureSox.com

The Chicago White Sox started the draft by taking Josh Fields, a 3rd baseman that had been considered a favorite to go to the White Sox. Fields, like another top prospect Joe Borchard, was also a college quarterback. While Fields was likely to be selected in the NFL draft, it wouldn’t be until the latter rounds and Josh realizes baseball is his future.

However, while Fields was the first pick taken in the draft, he isn’t the player that intrigues me the most. That notion belongs to left handed pitcher Giovany Gonzalez. Gonzalez attended Monsignor Pace in Florida, but was kicked off the team a week before playoffs due to an incident between his mom and the head coach in regards to Giovany’s brothers playing time.

Despite that incident Gonzalez was Monsignor’s ace pitcher and featured one of the best curve balls in the high school ranks. He also throws a good fastball (88-91) that has good movement and has an impressive changeup. Its very rare for a high school pitcher to feature three good pitches as well as good control. He has committed to the University of Miami, which will likely make him the most expensive of the compensatory selections. Another unique thing about Gonzalez is his high leg kick. In short, Gonzalez may have the highest ceiling of any of the players selected by the White Sox. Once signed he is one of a few rookies that could potentially see Kannapolis by seasons end.

Another pick that surprised me was the White Sox selection of Stanford catcher Donald Lucy with top catchers Kurt Suzuki and Jason Jaramillo still on the board. While both Suzuki and Jaramillo have had better, more productive college careers, but Lucy is the one with the most upside. He’s an athletically gifted catcher who would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick out of high school had he not already committed to Stanford. He then played second fiddle to Ryan Garko (Now with the Indians) and became a starter this season. Offensively he has a lot of power potential and defensively he is quick behind the plate with a strong arm and quick release. He’s shown the ability to block pitches and has quick reflexes for a catcher.

Matthew Olson, a 3rd round pick, also looks interesting. Olson did nothing but win for Oklahoma City University going 12-0 with a 2.55 ERA and 93 strikeouts in 81 innings. They were the #1 junior college team in the country during the season. He features a good fastball (89-94) with a very good knuckle curve. Realistically, you can make comparisons of Olson to Kris Honel. Olson wore down as the season went on and should be carefully watched because he was limited to 38 innings his first due seasons, thanks in large part to tendonitis during his sophomore year.

The last player I’m going to heavily highlight on the 1st day is Adam Russel, who was selected in the 6th round out of Ohio University. At 6-8, 250 pounds Russel strikes fear in the opponents before making a pitch. Then hitters see his fastball, which consistently hits 95 MPH, and they are struck with more fear. Russel lacks a good secondary pitch, but his arm was worth being taken this high and he was projected to go a little earlier in the draft.

Other Prospects to Note:

Raymond Liotta - Liotta is a very odd pick. He has a solid fastball and a good curveball that has lots of late movement. The odd thing about him is that according to MLB.com’s scouting reports, he didn’t pitch all of last year. It appears that Liotta pitched for Tulane two seasons ago and then transferred to Gulf Coast Community College. The likely reason he didn’t pitch last season is that he was in-eligible.

Lucal Harrel – Likely draft and follow pick who features a good fastball (90-93). He appears adamant about playing at least a season of junior college.

Brandon Allen – High school linebacker, who is a first baseman. He shows great power potential and is a good athlete. Has hit better with wood bats, which bodes well. One flaw is he has trouble making contact, but he should improve now that he will be focusing on baseball full time. He could potentially play left field as well.

Nick Lemon – Lemon, who went to BYU, is much like Adam Russel (featured above). He features what might be the best fastball in the draft (98 MPH) but has no control and absolutely no secondary pitches. He walked 50 and hit another 8 in just 37 innings this past season. However, he did limit opponents to a .217 AVG, which is a testament to his potential.

Ryan McCarthy – He was a very good defensive shortstop for the UCLA Bruins (5 errors this season), but will likely move to 3rd base in the professional ranks. He has shown some power potential and could be a sleeper. Of course he has #1 pick Josh Fields ahead of him.

Adam Ricks – Ricks was drafted as a second baseman and grades out as a good defefnsively infielder, but some scouts believe he could make the move behind the plate. Offensively he has a very smooth swing and uses all parts of the field. Could be a definite sleeper.

Fernando Alvarez – Drafted out of Florida International, which is the same school that Ricardo Nanita came from. Alvarez is a little raw, but has the tools to become a good outfielder. He generates some power and grades out to be a good defensive outfielder, although a move to first base is also a possibility.

So, overall, how do we rate the draft? Seems like we picked up a whole bunch of pitchers - some quite promising, some less. I would've liked to have seen a first baseman somewhere...

Hard to say thus far cause it depends heavily on the signings. I'm pretty pleased with the draft, although I would of taking Jeff Larish from ASU, sometime during his slide to the 13th round.

Still, Sox looked to get some guys with potential high ceilings. Depsite that, I don't really like rating it, but I like the guys they got, now its just letting them play and seeing how they all pan out.

So, overall, how do we rate the draft? Seems like we picked up a whole bunch of pitchers - some quite promising, some less. I would've liked to have seen a first baseman somewhere...

I think we may have taken a First baseman in the first round. :ph34r:

--------------------------

What about the guy from UCLA? That pick confused me.

I think we may have taken a First baseman in the first round. :ph34r:

--------------------------

What about the guy from UCLA? That pick confused me.

He's going to be a pitcher, or at least thats my belief. Has a very good arm and some serious raw potential. He's a bit more of a project then you would like to see that early in the draft though. But left handed power arms are hard to find.

I would give the Sox draft a B. They did a good job of addressing weaknesses, added players that could contribute in 2-3 years(lot of college kids), took safe picks with Fields, Lucy, and Lumsden, and added one of the sleepers in the draft in Gonzalez. They don't get a A in my book because they took a lot of reaches and high risk picks. Whistler had me scratching my head. This guy has been far from impressive as both a hitter and pitcher at UCLA, and was a huge reach in the 2nd round. Liotta has a decent arm, but he didn't even pitch in 2004. Allen's lack of contact is not a good sign for a high schooler. Lemon can't hit the ocean from the beach. These picks were all reaches and prevented me from giving the Sox an A. Overall it was a solid draft though. Signing Gonzalez will be one of the keys for this draft. If the Sox don't sign Gonzalez, than the grade will probably drop to the C+ range.

Hard to say thus far cause it depends heavily on the signings.  I'm pretty pleased with the draft, although I would of taking Jeff Larish from ASU, sometime during his slide to the 13th round.

Still, Sox looked to get some guys with potential high ceilings.  Depsite that, I don't really like rating it, but I like the guys they got, now its just letting them play and seeing how they all pan out.

I asked about Larish in the draft thread. I had seen him play a couple times in person and wondered where he went in the draft. I can't believe that he didn't go till the 13th round. That is amazing. If he could have declared last year he would have easily been a top 10 pick. His 2003 season was one of the best in college history. He hit .372/18/95 18 2B 78 BB 42 SO. The most amazing stat is the 78 BB. His 2004 season wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either: .308/7/49 17 2B 35 BB 50 SO. His stock shouldn't have dropped all the way to the 13th round. I am surprised that some team didn't take a waiver on this kid and spend a high pick on him. I am also surprised that someone like Beane or Richardi who are high on OBA, OPS, ect didn't take him after his .528 OBP and 1.225 OPS in 2003. Hell, I would have much rather seen Larish with the Sox 2nd round pick instead of Whistler. Oh well.

Nick Lemon – Lemon, who went to BYU, is much like Adam Russel (featured above). He features what might be the best fastball in the draft (98 MPH) but has no control and absolutely no secondary pitches. He walked 50 and hit another 8 in just 37 innings this past season. However, he did limit opponents to a .217 AVG, which is a testament to his potential.

This kid must have scared the s*** out of whoever was batting. That's gotta be one of the funnier scouting summaries I've ever read. :lol:

Nice summary Jas, great to hear your opinions and evaluations.

He's going to be a pitcher, or at least thats my belief.  Has a very good arm and some serious raw potential.  He's a bit more of a project then you would like to see that early in the draft though.  But left handed power arms are hard to find.

Could we possibly hav a Brooks Kieschnick on our hands? I think Redanwhite said he had some nasty power potential with his bat. I gotta say that selection came out of left field though. Overall I'm happy, I expected the Sox to take a lot of arms early, and it looks like we got some good ones. Fields will take some time, he needs to play reguarly to iron out the kinks, but he should for average and power which makes him a great third base prospect.

I would give the Sox draft a B. They did a good job of addressing weaknesses, added players that could contribute in 2-3 years(lot of college kids), took safe picks with Fields, Lucy, and Lumsden, and added one of the sleepers in the draft in Gonzalez. They don't get a A in my book because they took a lot of reaches and high risk picks. Whistler had me scratching my head. This guy has been far from impressive as both a hitter and pitcher at UCLA, and was a huge reach in the 2nd round. Liotta has a decent arm, but he didn't even pitch in 2004. Allen's lack of contact is not a good sign for a high schooler. Lemon can't hit the ocean from the beach. These picks were all reaches and prevented me from giving the Sox an A. Overall it was a solid draft though. Signing Gonzalez will be one of the keys for this draft. If the Sox don't sign Gonzalez, than the grade will probably drop to the C+ range.

Ya, some of their reaches really had me confused. I think the reason was so many high picks made them take some of them, but I was puzzled at them not taking Jason Vargas when he was still on the board as well as them passing up on Szymanski.

Still, can't say I'm too dissapointed, plus its so damn hard to tell anyway.

I asked about Larish in the draft thread. I had seen him play a couple times in person and wondered where he went in the draft. I can't believe that he didn't go till the 13th round. That is amazing. If he could have declared last year he would have easily been a top 10 pick. His 2003 season was one of the best in college history. He hit .372/18/95 18 2B 78 BB 42 SO. The most amazing stat is the 78 BB. His 2004 season wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either: .308/7/49 17 2B 35 BB 50 SO. His stock shouldn't have dropped all the way to the 13th round. I am surprised that some team didn't take a waiver on this kid and spend a high pick on him. I am also surprised that someone like Beane or Richardi who are high on OBA, OPS, ect didn't take him after his .528 OBP and 1.225 OPS in 2003. Hell, I would have much rather seen Larish with the Sox 2nd round pick instead of Whistler. Oh well.

I would too...Larish is a freaking stud. He was hurt this year and dealt with a change of position. This was the best college rated hitter entering the season and lik you said had an absolutely sick season, plus he had a tremendous eye and would of filled an organizational weakness (1st base), although he has a strong arm.

I guess one stat guy got him in Depodesta. Still, I'm absolutely shocked he slid so far. Teams must of called him and the agent said he wanted 2nd round money no matter where he went so they let him go. He was a junior so I assume he'll re-enter again next year.

Either wya I'd of taken him and considering all the Sox reaches in the earlier rounds, they could of probably given him good money.

Can't only blame the Sox though, cause all the other teams minus the Dodgers were fools as well for letting him continue to drop.

Could we possibly hav a Brooks Kieschnick on our hands? I think Redanwhite said he had some nasty power potential with his bat. I gotta say that selection came out of left field though. Overall I'm happy, I expected the Sox to take a lot of arms early, and it looks like we got some good ones. Fields will take some time, he needs to play reguarly to iron out the kinks, but he should for average and power which makes him a great third base prospect.

As soon as I saw the Wes Whisler pick I was thinking Brooks Kieschnick myself. Remember that it was the Sox who finally gave Brooks a chance at pitching.

I would too...Larish is a freaking stud.  He was hurt this year and dealt with a change of position.  This was the best college rated hitter entering the season and lik you said had an absolutely sick season, plus he had a tremendous eye and would of filled an organizational weakness (1st base), although he has a strong arm. 

I guess one stat guy got him in Depodesta.  Still, I'm absolutely shocked he slid so far.  Teams must of called him and the agent said he wanted 2nd round money no matter where he went so they let him go.  He was a junior so I assume he'll re-enter again next year.

Either wya I'd of taken him and considering all the Sox reaches in the earlier rounds, they could of probably given him good money. 

Can't only blame the Sox though, cause all the other teams minus the Dodgers were fools as well for letting him continue to drop.

This guy sounds like he would have been a perfect draft and follow type candidate. So he goes back to school and you sign him before next years draft.

This guy sounds like he would have been a perfect draft and follow type candidate.  So he goes back to school and you sign him before next years draft.

He doesn't play at a junior college so it wouldn't be an option. He's going to be going back to school though or at least thats what I suspect.