White Sox Sign 2nd Round Pick Donny Lucy

Chisoxfn

White Sox Sign 2nd Round Pick Donny Lucy

By Jason Gage

June 15, 2004

FutureSox.com

The Chicago White Sox and second round pick Donny Lucy have came to terms. Lucy will be sent to Great Falls (advanced rookie) where he will begin practicing with his new teammates. Most of the players reported to Great Falls yesterday and the season beings on June 18th.

Donny Lucy wasn't the catcher some experts had predicted the Sox would take, but the more you look at Lucy's ability, the more you get a feeling that the Sox found a winner. Lucy sat on Stanford's bench the past two seasons, behind stud catcher Ryan Garko (now in the Indians organization) and this season he finally got his shot and shined.

Lucy always had the athletic ability and at 6'3 , 205 pounds he has the prototypical catchers build. He also has good speed behind the plate, much like current White Sox catcher Miguel Olivo. In his junior season Lucy flashed some power (11 HR's) and hit .314. He has a very strong arm, a quick release, and good fundementals and could move through the minors quickly, for a catcher.

Other draft picks that are slated to go to Great Falls are: Matt Zaleski (RHP, 30th Round), Eric Everly (2003 Draft and Follow Signing), Travis Doyle (LHP, 22nd Round of the 2003 Draft), Caleb Cooper (3B, 19th Round), Derrick McNeil (SS, 23rd Round), Mario Suarez (3B, 34th Round), and Fernando Alvarez (OF, 16th Round).

I'm glad we got Lucy signed. I think he's gonna be a really good player. Because he's got good speed and is athletic, is there any talk of moving him from catcher so he doesn't lose his speed? Also, does anyone have a list of what Great Falls' roster looks like so far?

To me, Lucy seems to be one of the more questionable picks. .314 in college is pretty anemic actually....unless this guy throws like Karkovice.

This guy is supposed to be off the charts with his arm, release, and ability to block pitches. He's incredibly agile behind the plate as well.

OFfensively he's just beginning to develop, but he has a lot of offensive potential there and he is going to be unbelievable behind the plate.

Whisler, Russell, Lemon, McCarthy and Ricks. All college kids.

And the Sox can't negotiate (well sign) Ricks until his team is eliminated from college world series play. From what I've heard Ricks is all but a lock to sign pretty much the day Miami is done and he will be going to Great Falls. The Sox are pretty high on him too. I know their was some talk to moving him behind the plate, but I don't think thats the plan anymore.

The samething was said about Jeremy Reed too.  I don't hear many people saying that anymore...

What did Reed hit at long beach state?

i don't really care about this enough to argue about it. just don't think .314 at stanford is impressive at all. maybe he'll be the next humberto quintero.

i'm just happy (and shocked) the sox signed all their guys.

A little OT here, but is Gio Gonzalez going to start at Kanny or Salem?

I hope he turns out to be a good one - I really hope the Sox didn't make the mistake of passing on Suzuki, so I hope Lucy can be a solid player down the road.

I have heard Kanny, but nothing is official.