Mariotti today

mmmmmbeeer

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay16.html

Positive article, but as usual, he has plenty of knocks. I find it funny that the Sun Times ran an article yesterday about the "Us vs. Them" campaign and pointed out that it's pretty much a first in professional sports. Yet Mariotti states that, "With so many in-house positives to trumpet, he [brooks Boyer] istead pokes fun at the Cubs with the predictable us-versus-them campaign. ". So was it predictable? Steff has said that the Southpaw idea had nothing to do with Brooks, yet Mariotti says that it was Brooks' pet project? He says to capitalize on guys like CLee and Big Frank instead of whining about media exposure and worrying about the other team. I say he's wrong. The campaign is built around the slogan "Sox Pride". When I've got pride in something I try to let other people know about it. If I take pride in enjoying a particular CD, I'm going to tell my buddy why he needs to check it out too, why it's BETTER than what he's listening to. We've played better than the sCrUBS for years, we've consistently been in the pennant race for years, and yet this is still a sCrUBS town. We've had marketing campaigns touting the players for years and it's still a sCrUBS town. I'm happy that we're going a different direction and I think it's great that this is getting under so many sCrUB fans skin.

We've played better than the sCrUBS for years, we've consistently been in the pennant race for years, and yet this is still a sCrUBS town.  We've had marketing campaigns touting the players for years and it's still a sCrUBS town.  I'm happy that we're going a different direction and I think it's great that this is getting under so many sCrUB fans skin.

Well said. I like the "new direction" as well.

The good news is, general manager Ken Williams is on record that he won't trade Ordonez during the season. The bad news is, a homegrown player and wonderful Sox ambassador will be elsewhere next season.

How is Magglio a wonderful Sox ambassador? I believe a wonderful ambassador does more than just put up numbers. How about someone that can talk to the media and promote the team?

How is Magglio a wonderful Sox ambassador? I believe a wonderful ambassador does more than just put up numbers. How about someone that can talk to the media and promote the team?

Maggs does a lot of stuff for charities out of the media eye, and is very fan friendly at the park. Maybe that's what they mean..?

Maggs does a lot of stuff for charities out of the media eye, and is very fan friendly at the park. Maybe that's what they mean..?

There's nothing wrong with a guy that stays out of the limelight and just hits. I'd like to have 9 Magglios on the team ... but 4 would have to be lefty. :)

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay16.html

Positive article, but as usual, he has plenty of knocks.  I find it funny that the Sun Times ran an article yesterday about the "Us vs. Them" campaign and pointed out that it's pretty much a first in professional sports.  Yet Mariotti states that, "With so many in-house positives to trumpet, he [brooks Boyer] istead pokes fun at the Cubs with the predictable us-versus-them campaign. ". So was it predictable?  Steff has said that the Southpaw idea had nothing to do with Brooks, yet Mariotti says that it was Brooks' pet project?  He says to capitalize on guys like CLee and Big Frank instead of whining about media exposure and worrying about the other team.  I say he's wrong.  The campaign is built around the slogan "Sox Pride".  When I've got pride in something I try to let other people know about it.  If I take pride in enjoying a particular CD, I'm going to tell my buddy why he needs to check it out too, why it's BETTER than what he's listening to. We've played better than the sCrUBS for years, we've consistently been in the pennant race for years, and yet this is still a sCrUBS town.  We've had marketing campaigns touting the players for years and it's still a sCrUBS town.  I'm happy that we're going a different direction and I think it's great that this is getting under so many sCrUB fans skin.

You know, the guy gets you to read, and whether you love the guy or hate him he still brings in business.

"And thats all I have to say about that." -Forrest Gump- :ph34r: