YASNY

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

link doesn't work for me... :huh

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_s...?intID=38155160

From the title of this thread I was hoping Ben Sheets was in the crosshairs of KW. :bang

Overall, nothing new. The author (Scot Gregor) believes KW is close to a deal because he appears to be in a "zone" The last paragraph is unsettling:

Is a package of Class AAA Charlotte outfielder Jeremy Reed and disappointing starter Jon Rauch enough to land Garcia or Hernandez? Sox fans should be getting an answer soon.

f*** yeah its enough. s***, Jeremy Reed and Jon Rauch for either Hernandez or Garcia would be overpaying. Garcia, as the article implies, looms as a potential "rent a player" for the Sox. If Sox make the trade, atleast commit Freddy to signing a contract extension (Hopefully not for 10million/yr. Thats insane) Hernandez would atleast present a reliable front line starter for several years, but one question remains: is he capable of (continually) pitching 200+ innings without arm troubles?

While Rauch doens't bother me, the notion of including Reed in either of these trades is cause for concern. If theres one thing I don't want, Its KW panicing for another starter and shelling out our top prospects. At maximum, how long would you expect Livian or Garcia to remain with the Sox? Levian two years, Garcia three? ( JR would unlikely sign either beyond) Whereas a cheap Reed in the OF could remain a fixture in the lineup for many years.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_s...?intID=38155160

From the title of this thread I was hoping Ben Sheets was in the crosshairs of KW. :bang

Overall, nothing new.  The author (Scot Gregor) believes KW is close to a deal because he appears to be in a "zone"  The last paragraph is unsettling:

f*** yeah its enough.  s***, Jeremy Reed and Jon Rauch for either Hernandez or Rauch would be overpaying.  Garcia, as the article implies, looms as a potential "rent a player" for the Sox.  Hernandez would be with the team two more years, but can he continue pitching 200+ innings without arm troubles. 

While Rauch doens't bother me, the notion of including Reed in either of these trades is cause for concern. If theres one thing I don't want, Its KW panicking for another starter and shelling out our top prospects.  At maximum, how long would you expect Livian or Garcia to remain with the Sox? Levian two years, Garcia three? ( JR would unlikely sign him beyond this)  Whereas a cheap Reed in the OF could remain a fixture in the lineup for many years.

i agree. i think reed is someone we should hold on to...

If we can trade Reed's POTENTIAL for a PROVEN starter, which is our most glaring weakness, you've got to do it.

Of course, when JR apparently said something about telling KW to do whatever he needs to do, regardless of money, KW should be talking to ARI about Randy Johnson. I doubt we'd have to give up Reed or any other top prospect, just be willing to take on the salary.

Hell if KW could find a way to land both Garcia and Hernandez. That would be an awesome step in the right direction. I would be very happy with one but both would be even better. I know I know I am being greedy but I want the Sox to be the team to beat. I have never minded trading prospects for proven players.

I say do this deal. Either one of these guys will help us tremendously this year.

Everyone is so high on Reed... and while I hope very much he is a successful major leaguer, its all potential right now. For more info see (Brien Taylor, Hensley Muelens, Alex Escobar, Scott Ruffcorn, and Jon Rauch).

I really hope a deal like this happens.

Any time you can trade potential for production, you do it. Especially when it's potential hitting for proven ace pitching.

The guy I'm surprised hasn't come up is Roy Halladay. You gotta think Toronto is selling this season.

A few games ago on the TV, Hawk read an email from a fan who asked who Hawk thought were the best minor league prospects.

He mentioned Borchard right off the bat, Honel, Anderson, Munoz, Sweeney.

For what it's worth, not Reed.

I was a little surprised, but he didn't get much chance to elaborate because the inning ended shortly after he started naming names.

But I did find it interesting. My dad lives in Arizona and doesn't get much Chicago media and he asked me yesterday who they have coming up from the minors. Reed was the first name I mentioned.

Personally, I'm not an advocate of trading Reed, I think they need a player like him. But with any trade in any sport, it all depends on what you get back.

I don't think I want to trade the "minor leaguer of the year" or whatever it was that he won so quickly. I'd really like to see what Borchard can do this year, so we can justify trading Reed and using Borch in center/right, if Maggs walks.

But we do need a starting pitcher, and we do need to give something up. That's how it works. :( Hopefully, Reed isn't what we have to give up, but seeing the circumstances he might be what we have to give up...

I am all in favor of moving some of the prospects if the Sox can get a legit front-line starter in return. I would be fine with Garcia, Sheets or Hernandez but I would pass on Benson. He has been way too inconsistent to warrant giving up either Borchard or Reed. I think Williams would love to make a move before the Cub series. I get the feeling he loves to make a splash when he gets an opportunity.

I have never seen Reed play. From what I hear he is a very good minor league hitter that gets on base a lot. That said, he just has average speed and zero power. How will this translate to the major league level? I don't know, but I would rather take my chances on Freddy Garcia. I would like to hear more about Reed from someone that sees him play on a consistent basis. Would you give up Reed for Garcia?

I have never seen Reed play. From what I hear he is a very good minor league hitter that gets on base a lot. That said, he just has average speed and zero power. How will this translate to the major league level? I don't know, but I would rather take my chances on Freddy Garcia. I would like to hear more about Reed from someone that sees him play on a consistent basis. Would you give up Reed for Garcia?

I like Reed because he's a lefty. My beef with him is that we already have a left-handed slap-hitter in the majors in Willie Harris. I'm not sure what Reed brings to the table that Harris doesn't. Ideally better outfielding defense, but other than that, he doesn't have much power.

Now if Reed was a lefty power bat, I would hold onto him for dear life!

I think this guy is making something out of nothing but I hope kenny is on the verge of something and the earlier he can make a deal the better. If it takes Reed to get Freddy then you have to go for it only if that's the only way seattle will make the deal. It seems like Kenny is higher on JB then he is on Reed. While I would be real sad to see Jeremy go if it means taking a shot at winning this year I'm all for it.

Come on guys! We're comparing Reed to Willie Harris?!?!? I guess they are both left-handed, but other than that these are completely different players. I saw Reed down in Spring Training this year and first of all he's a fairly big player, in the 6'0", 195 pound range. And, though he's not a power hitter in the technical sense of the word he's certainly not a slap hitter. He's more of a gap hitter. Often these types of hitters have turned into pretty good power hitters as they mature physically, ala Rafael Palmeiro. The Cubs traded Palmeiro because he didn't have any power. Another good comparison as hitters go would be another Cub -- Mark Grace.

Read this scouting report from last year on Reed...

Prospecting

Jeremy Reed

by David Cameron

Printer-

friendly

David Cameron kicks off his weekly look at the minor leagues with a player profile of White Sox prospect Jeremy Reed.

Odds are, if you are reading Baseball Prospectus, you have probably heard of Kevin Youkilis. The portly Boston Red Sox minor league third baseman has made a name for himself with a remarkable penchant for drawing the base on balls. His gift of patience even drew him the nickname "Euclis; The Greek God of Walks," popularized in Michael Lewis' Moneyball. Over the past year, Youkilis has become the poster boy prospect for performance analysts who are unconcerned with athletic abilities or traditional "tools scouting." He has continued his walking ways this year, drawing the free pass 55 times in 210 at-bats while only striking out on 31 occasions.

However, if someone mentioned the name Jeremy Reed, the list of people lining up to extol his virtues would likely be much shorter. While Reed is not quite prolific enough to be enshrined into mythology, his walk-to-strikeout ratio this year isn't far from epic. In 222 at-bats for Winston-Salem (Carolina League, advanced A-ball), Reed drew 41 walks and struck out just 17 times. That, along with his .343 batting average, earned him a promotion to Double-A Birmingham last week. In 25 at-bats since moving up, he is hitting .360/.407/.600 with a pair of walks and strikeouts.

So who is this guy, and why aren't people writing about him in books?

Reed made his name by being the star of Team USA in the summer of 2001, hitting .366 with wood and earning praise for his pure left-handed swing. He returned to Long Beach State for his junior season with projections of being a first-round pick in the summer of 2002. However, a relatively tough year with aluminum (he hit just .339) pushed his stock down as scouts began to question his ability to hit for power against quality pitching.

Reed ended up as the White Sox second-round pick in 2002, 59th overall and the sixth outfielder selected. Oakland's Nick Swisher was the only college outfielder selected ahead of him. He signed for $650,000, or just a bit less than one-third of the amount Swisher got for going 40 picks earlier. When Reed was signed, scouting director Doug Laumann pointed to his value as a quality center fielder and potential leadoff hitter.

Reed signed quickly enough to make his pro debut in low-A Kannapolis of the South Atlantic League. Hitting .319/.377/.448, his performance was not overwhelming, but considering a majority of college players head to a short-season league for their first year, he more than held his own. Interestingly enough, Reed drew just 11 walks in his 210 at-bats, but inflated his on-base percentage by getting hit another 11 times. He actually showed more power than expected, collecting 19 extra base hits (28 percent of his total hits).

Armed with his Long Beach State profile listing him at 6'0" and 160 pounds, his college statistics (strong in batting average and stolen bases), and the White Sox praise for his defense and leadoff abilities, I developed a mental image of Reed that resembled Eric Owens or Aaron Rowand. I was surprised when I first saw Reed last year in Kannapolis, as he was not physically similar to either player, appearing taller, and closer to his new listed weight (193 pounds).

Reed focused on hitting the ball the other way, and did not pull a pitch in four trips to the plate. He possesses just average range in center field, and he was not nearly as fast as I had imagined. He clocked 4.3-4.4 home-first from the left side, which is about average for a major league player. Overall, my first impression of Jeremy Reed was a pretty underwhelming experience.

I got a chance to see him several times this spring after he was assigned to Winston-Salem and was pleasantly surprised with the changes he made to his game. He now stands more upright, resembling Paul O'Neill or John Olerud minus a few inches of height. He was pulling the inside pitch with authority, and his plate coverage is as good as either of the two aforementioned major leaguers. He can hit any pitch within the strike zone, and he simply refuses to swing at pitches off the plate. His approach is impeccable, and he is one of those guys who are just impossible to pitch to any one specific area.

Reed's power is developing (34 percent of his hits this year have been extra-base knocks), but he still projects as more of a gap-to-gap hitter than a pure slugger. The historical precedent gives players with his ability to drive the ball consistently a chance to turn his doubles into home runs though Watching him, I would not expect him to become a middle-of-the-order hitter, but the numbers suggest that it's possible.

On the basepaths, Reed uses intelligence rather than pure speed to rack up his stolen bases. He appears quicker than he was last season (timed at 4.1 home-first earlier this spring), but his instincts and ability to read the pitcher are what give him the edge. He's a very sound baserunner and he is wisely aggressive. You will not see him running into outs, but he is able to turn most singles into a two-base advancement.

His average speed is evident in the outfield, where he shows sub-par range for a center fielder. The White Sox have recognized this and moved him to right field, which is likely where he'll end up in the major leagues. He plays center field once a week in case the need arises. The Chicago official I spoke to compared him to Mark Kotsay defensively, insinuating that he could play center field in a pinch, but will play right field on a team that cares about defense. His arm will work in right field, but it won't be an asset.

Overall, the physical package is pretty average. He does not do anything poorly, but neither is there an outstanding ability that makes you say "wow." On the traditional 20-80 scouting scale (with 50 being average), he grades out as a 55. While that makes him just an average tools player, he's made the whole greater than the sum of his parts. The same Sox official raved about his "plus-plus makeup," which is scouting lingo for a really smart guy. Reed has a great work ethic and maximized every opportunity he has been given.

Despite his positive traits, Reed has managed to be ignored by both the scouting and statistical community to date. Meanwhile, players like Youkilis and Jeremy Brown are getting attention for the organizations they are affiliated with and the people who write about them. Reed may not have the credentials that come with conquering Double-A yet, but he just turned 22 this month. Compared to the usual performance prospects, Reed is just a pup. The Sox have no plans to push him beyond Double-A this year, but the team could give him a shot at a spot with the big league club next season.

from... http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2039

Now, I understand that we are going to have to trade somebody if we're going to get a 5th starter for the season but the market in recent years has not put the cost of a rent-a-player this high. We can get a better deal than trading our #1 hitting prospect.

Now, I understand that we are going to have to trade somebody if we're going to get a 5th starter for the season but the market in recent years has not put the cost of a rent-a-player this high.  We can get a better deal than trading our #1 hitting prospect.

Wow! His tools sound like they are so-so, but he sounds like he could be a good hitter.

Also, love the Jimmy Mac avatar. He's my favorite Bear of all-time. I've got the starting line-up figure on my desk at home...

Aaron Rowand? Sounds about right.