Something brewing?

YASNY

Aaron Rowand?  Sounds about right.

What part of this statement reminds you of Rowand though?

From the earlier posted article about Reed...

"He can hit any pitch within the strike zone, and he simply refuses to swing at pitches off the plate. His approach is impeccable, and he is one of those guys who are just impossible to pitch to any one specific area. "

I don't know. To me this sounds like the kind of hitter we need.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomsonmi, great stuff.

I saw him in spring training too, several games.

He had a below average spring at the plate. My main impression was he has good baseball smarts - he played CF during one game and he gets a good read on the ball. To my eye, he gets a good jump and covers ground well.

I would concur that by no means is he a slap hitter.

Seems to me that if the Sox have any intention of trading him, it's because for whatever reason they don't think he's a long term fit in CF (Anderson?), they have Carlos Lee in LF and they want power out of RF.

At worst, though ... at absolute worst ... Reed would be a great 4th OF. Not saying that's all he'll be, IMO his ceiling is higher. But what a guy to have in reserve, and he can also play 1B. And if someone gets hurt, you can plug him right in.

This is a guy who has walked more than S.O. this year - 34-28, something like that. His average is down lately, to about .275 and his OBP is good but not outstanding at .360 . 12 stolen bases, caught 7 times.

I'm just very nervous he's a guy they're thinking of trading. Lots of positive chatter about Borchard lately, none about Reed.

The other question is, right now at this moment, who is a better CF option for the Sox? Willie Harris or Jeremy Reed? I'm sure KW is asking himself this a lot.

Garcia is No. 1 on the wish list, and the right-hander would bolster a rotation that features two reliable arms in Mark Buehrle and Esteban Loaiza and two question marks in Jon Garland and Scott Schoeneweis.

Got that right. The Sox will look like a playoff team once Freddy does join the White Sox. Schoeneweis just hasn't been the same and he is struggling at the moment. Once Garland and him improve (and Garcia is with us) our starting pitchers will kick ass :headbang

Freddy Garcia

3-6 3.23 ERA

None of our pitchers come close to that earned run average (maybe Buehrle). He joins our team and the Sox offense will help him out.

These are tough calls for KW. Maybe the toughest of his tenure. The Sox have a number of good outfield prospects in the minors (Reed, Borchard, Anderson, Sweeney, and Brice) and obviously not all of them will become successful major league ballplayers.

I'm more of a chicken when it comes to this. I'd be waiting to pull the string. I'd like to see how we progress over the next month. How many games will we actually need a 5th starter for over that time anyway?

Even though I'm as desperate as the next guy to win now, I don't want to trade away Rafael Palmeiro and Joe Carter like the Cubs did back in '86.

These are tough calls for KW.  Maybe the toughest of his tenure.  The Sox have a number of good outfield prospects in the minors (Reed, Borchard, Anderson, Sweeney, and Brice) and obviously not all of them will become successful major league ballplayers.

I'm more of a chicken when it comes to this.  I'd be waiting to pull the string.  I'd like to see how we progress over the next month.  How many games will we actually need a 5th starter for over that time anyway?

Even though I'm as desperate as the next guy to win now, I don't want to trade away Rafael Palmeiro and Joe Carter like the Cubs did back in '86.

And, the main reason for my feelings here is that it has become clear to me that we are operating with a medium market philosophy when it comes to our budget which to me means we are only going to be successful in the long run if we consistently develop the best talent in baseball. We won't be a championship team by being impatient. We won't have a $100 million budget anytime soon.

I would agree and am much more comfortable trading lower level minor league talent vs. someone who's demonstrated their abilities at AA, AAA.

Of course, it doesn't always work out that way.

But if we look at last years Everett trade, the two key guys were, and are, quite far from the majors (Anthony Webster, Josh Rupe). They may have great upside but I'm ok with trading guys like that because it will likely be another two years at least before they make an impact. Frankie Francisco was the other guy and he's contributed to Texas this year but that doesn't bother me at all.

Another thing to remember - KW gave Texas a list of guys to pick from, with certain "crown jewels" excluded.

I have never seen Reed play. From what I hear he is a very good minor league hitter that gets on base a lot. That said, he just has average speed and zero power. How will this translate to the major league level? I don't know, but I would rather take my chances on Freddy Garcia. I would like to hear more about Reed from someone that sees him play on a consistent basis. Would you give up Reed for Garcia?

He's got good speed, not Willie Harris, but he isn't slow. He reads the ball well defensively and is a smart base runner, which helps him maximize the speed he does have. Charlotte is much more of a hitter park than in Birmingham, and since he's been there, Reed has shown his power potential. He's often been compared to a young Palmeiro.

Deal Borchard and Rauch. Giving up Reed would be a disaster...I'd only give Reed up if we were getting a guy with a few years left on his deal. Forget Garcia if there is no extension brought upon by the Mariners, it'd be silly.

I'm just very nervous he's a guy they're thinking of trading.  Lots of positive chatter about Borchard lately, none about Reed.

That's because for Borchard to put up average numbers on the season he had to get on a hot streak while Reed slumped and still has average numbers.

I think the reason Hawk and some others have thought that Reed isn't as good of a prospect as others is because he scuffled in spring training. I'd rather have a guy hit .214 in spring training every year than a guy that hits .375 like Sweeney did as long as the .214 guy hits during the season.

I honestly can't get over all of this LOVE for Jeremy Reed.

Enough already.

The guy hasn't played a single game in the majors and people are ready to retire his number. He hasn't done anything to warrant all of this. Who cares if he was the Minor League Player of the Year (so was Jon Rauch). I am tired of hanging on to prospect to plan for the future. I want to win now. Any of the proven starters (Garcia, Sheets, Livan) will help us a ton. We need to go for it.

Ask yourself,

If you could have one of the following, which would you rather have.

1. Jeremy Reed in a White Sox uniform.

2. Chicago White Sox: 2004 American League Champions.

I want to win now. I am not convinced adding one starter will make us win it all, but I am convinced it is a necessary move that needs to be made. If we can make a big trade without trading Reed, I am all for it, but if it is Reed that it is gonna take... Trade Him.

Let me be more clear than. I don't want us trading Reed, Borchard, Sweeney, or Anderson. It's not just about Reed. The market value for a player like Garcia will not require us to trade a top-tier minor leaguer. The Mariners will hold out for one of those guys but not forever. This isn't about Jeremy Reed. It's about a philosophy for building a championship team. We obviously disagree about that philosophy. And, frankly, I'm fairly certain that KW sees things your way so I anticipate that KW will eventually satisfy your craving for a trade.

The market value for a player like Garcia will not require us to trade a top-tier minor leaguer.  The Mariners will hold out for one of those guys but not forever.  This isn't about Jeremy Reed.  It's about a philosophy for building a championship team.  We obviously disagree about that philosophy.  And, frankly, I'm fairly certain that KW sees things your way so I anticipate that KW will eventually satisfy your craving for a trade.

My "philosophy" is simply about trying to go after the Title now. I am tired of not having enough to get over the top. Almost as tired as waiting for all of our top prospects to pan out. And I disagree with you on what Garcia will cost. Garcia is on top of his game this year, and if he had any run support he would be the leading canidate for the AL Cy Young. Call it overpaying if you want, but teams that want to win this year will give up what it takes to get him.

IF we did trade Reed for Garcia (I am assuming you would be upset).

If Garcia helped lead us to say the ALCS would you consider it worth it?

I don't have any problem with what you are saying. I just wouldn't make the trade. If trading a player for another player guaranteed us being in the World Series I'd do it in a heartbeat. Obviously, these trades come with no guarantees (see last year).

I supported what KW did last year to get Everett and Alomar because we didn't have to give up too much.

thomsonmi, since I'm pretty tired right now, I don't feel like typing out a whole big post, but I've agreed with everything you've said.

For those of you comparing Reed to Harris and Rowand, you're nuts.

For those of you that think at this moment, Reed is worth Garcia... Well - he's a rent-a-player, like Alomar and Everett last year. We didn't give up much to get them. Now, Rauch is still pitching very well at AAA - give them one or two lower-level prospects, and that should be enough to get a deal done. IMO it shouldn't take any of Diaz,Munoz,Honel,Reed,Borch,Sweeney,Anderson to get Garcia.

If Garcia helped lead us to say the ALCS would you consider it worth it?

My feeling?

Absolutely.

And I'd feel even better if the Ozzie connection could then get him signed for a three year deal.

My feeling?

Absolutely.

And I'd feel even better if the Ozzie connection could then get him signed for a three year deal.

But he wants 10 million per year, would you pay him that?

Considering his road splits aren't nearly as good as his home splits, I wouldn't...

Do you know how long Hernandez is still on contract for?

Sheets is this and next year, right?

Is Perez from LA still available?

I assume Livan is around $6 million to $7 million. I couldn't see much more. I don't want a guy for one season for our best minor leaguer.

I honestly can't get over all of this LOVE for Jeremy Reed.

Enough already.

Don't sweat it.. soon enough someone will hear him say he will not play for the Sox after he applies for FA and the s*** will hit the fan... :ph34r:

He's got good speed, not Willie Harris, but he isn't slow. He reads the ball well defensively and is a smart base runner, which helps him maximize the speed he does have

Mark Kotsay was in the top 5 defensive CF'ers last year in all of MLB, so if Reed's defensive upside is that, I'll gladly take it.

There is another guy who is not a speed burner pplaying in NL. His name ends with '-nik'. He has 29 SB with only 2 CS. So, once again, good speed + great instincts is something I will take over Christian Guzman's brand of "blazing speed" any day.

Unless there is something wrong with Reed's Rists, he should be untouchable.