KOCH TRADED!!!!!!!!!!!&#33

LostInBoston

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys should all go to the Marlins fan board, they are rejoicing about acquiring him! It is funny!

Well, we did the exact same thing when Billy came here. The media and fans DROOLED over him. Then I head on the radio a guy actually going against the stream and pulled out stats that showed just how bad he really was in Oakland. THeir team was just so good that it covered up how badly he pitched. So, the marlins are happy for now, but just wait till his first 92 MPH straight fastball goes sailing over the left field wall

very f***in funny =D

i hope koch does good for the fish, but wow.,... if i was a flordia fan, considering that they gave up more then a hot dog and a broken tire iron... s***, sorry, considering they got BOTCH, id be BITTING MY NAILS ALREADY!

the marlins fans are just looking at his numbers and seeing hope

just like we did when we trade him from the A's

then the A's fanbase started telling us, watch out... he's a nail bitter and his arm is falling off

I know someone already posted this, but I just wanted to reitterate so everyone can see, nice and clear:

THE SCORE IS REPORTING THE SOX WILL PICK UP 2 MILLION DOLLARS ON THE CONTRACT!

6.25-2=4.25 Saved.  Solid.  :headbang

First of all you math is flawed because we've already paid about 1/3 of his contract already this year.

Secondly according to the link posted above, the sox are picking up "more than half" of the remaining 3.75 MIL.

The only real "saving" we get by this trade is in the 9th inning of games with

SHINGO!!!!!!!

ChicagoSports article:

He gone: Sox discard Koch

Traded to Marlins for minor-leaguer

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

June 17, 2004, 11:27 PM CDT

MIAMI -- It wasn't the trade everyone expected, but one many White Sox fans will greet with joy.

The Sox traded reliever Billy Koch to Florida after Thursday night's 2-1, 11-inning loss to the Marlins. In return for Koch and cash, the Sox received Triple-A shortstop Wilson Valdez, 26, who's hitting .319 at Albuquerque.

The move should free up some money for general manager Ken Williams to make a trade for a fifth starter.

Seattle's Freddy Garcia perhaps?

In the interim, Williams announced Arnie Munoz will be called up from Double-A Birmingham Friday to start Saturday's game in Montreal.

Williams said the emergence of Shingo Takatsu left Koch without a role in the bullpen.

"Billy became the odd man out simply because, if you look at his usage the last week, it was evident to all of us that he didn't fit in late game situations," Williams said.

Koch blew a pair of saves on the Sox's West Coast trip at the beginning of the month and lost his closer's job. He also lost the job last season after struggling in the first half.

Koch was acquired from Oakland along with Neal Cotts for Keith Foulke and Mark Johnson in December 2002. He was coming off a 44-save season for the Athletics but never got on track with the Sox.

"I just [stunk]," Koch said. "For whatever reason, I just didn't get the job done. I need to turn the page now. It's a fresh start."

It's that kind of candidness that impressed Williams.

"He came in here and apologized for his efforts and really felt remorseful," Williams said. "[He] expressed to me directly he understands that I had a lot of faith in him and he didn't get the job done."

Koch had 19 saves in 79 appearances with the Sox. This year he was 1-1 with eight saves and a 5.40 ERA. In 231/3 innings, he gave up 24 hits and issued a whopping 16 walks.

He was owed about $3.75 million on a contract worth $6.375 million this season. Williams said the Sox will pay more than half the remaining balance.

"I thought I would be moving before the [All-Star] break," Koch said. "I didn't know it would be this early. It frees up a lot of money. This is a great ball club in here."

Like Williams, Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was impressed with the way Koch handled adversity.

"It's a good thing for him he's out of Chicago," Guillen said. "Between the media and the fans, it was tough for him. When he got the save, he got it in an ugly way, but he did it."

Just not often enough.

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

So then, Cheat, how much do you think we saved?  2.5 million or so?  More?  Less?

The point is it's not about the money.

It's 1.75 MIL at the Most. But that doesn't matter. It's more likely about 1 MIL even in savings, But that doesn't matter.

It's addition by subtraction. Just the fact that we were able to get rid of that chump is amazing. I would have paid all of his salary to play for another team.

Plus it likely means there's more deals in the works on the immediate horizon.

The point is it's not about the money.

It's 1.75 MIL at the Most. But that doesn't matter. It's more likely about 1 MIL even in savings, But that doesn't matter. 

It's addition by subtraction.  Just the fact that we were able to get rid of that chump is amazing.  I would have paid all of his salary to play for another team.

Plus it likely means there's more deals in the works on the immediate horizon.

Agreed. Im just saying that it's a plus for getting rid of Billy Koch, it's a double-plus for getting something more than a bag of balls for Billy, it's a triple-plus that he saved money in the deal.

Not to mention it gives him 2 million or so to fiddle around with in trade talks...

id love to ship jose outta here

he is worth something in a package

and id love to put uribe at SS, haris at 2B, and gload/rowand back in CF... gload and rowand was working REALLY REALLY WELL

Well, I dont know about the whole CF thing, but if we could include Jose in a package for Garcia, BYE!

There's more to this trade that just Koch, the $, & the SS.

Now Burke & KD can remain with the team. There was worry that if Burke was sent down again he would not clear waivers.

So now we can keep the 3 catchers (something Ozzie loves) & a bench IF.

Munoz will just replace Koch's spot on the roster. I hope he does well.