Embarrasing

WSoxShuf

this was an embarrasing series. The worst team in the league and we almost got swept. The offense was there somewhat, but still failed at key times (8th inning last night, all game today minus Val, Frank, and ARow).

Pitching was not good. Garland was good until the 9th, which he should not have pitched.

Ugly, ugly series

First off, Ozzie, who I never thought to be a wise choice as manager, had few options. He could have put in Shingo who is only used to going one inning. If he pitches the 9th, he'd have to pitch the tenth. Marte has been overworked. Politte and Jackson and Cotts, no thanks. Adkins? If any of these guys gave up a run, everyone complaining now would be complaining about how could he take out Garland, he only had given up 1 hit. Secondly, wasn't one of the complaints about JM the fact that he had a tight leash on Garland. Garland pitched good enough to win, and should have. Whats the deal with DJ poping off again about how Garland was handling a batter, only to have said batter homer the very next pitch? You would think he'd have learned by now. There's no need to panic. There's still a lot of games left. Magglio will be back soon, and there will be another starter who is a lot more effective than the 5th starter has been. It may be Rauch, but I believe KW is going to be doing some trading.

The guy had given up one hit going into the 9th. He was dealing. I'd have left him in.

I'd have left him in to start the ninth, but pulled him after the double. I agree with walking Cabrera, too but I would have let Shingo pitch the rest of the ninth.

As for Garland being selfish, unless you can read his mind I don't think you can tell what he was thinking with a 2-0 count.

How do you figure its not Garlands fault? He pitched good up until the 6th inning. Then what does he do? He worries about his f***ing no hitter and walks 3 consecutive guys. Now I don't know who you think should get the blame for that. I would say its Jon's fault but all you apologist prolly will say otherwise. Jon Garland always s***s his f***ing pants when he has men on the bases. He is a mental midget with out and guts. Hench the "Judy" Garland nickname.

How do you figure its not Garlands fault? He pitched good up until the 6th inning. Then what does he do? He worries about his f***ing no hitter and walks 3 consecutive guys. Now I don't know who you think should get the blame for that. I would say its Jon's fault but all you apologist prolly will say otherwise. Jon Garland always s***s his f***ing pants when he has men on the bases. He is a mental midget with out and guts. Hench the "Judy" Garland nickname.

very true

jon or Judy as you may is a headcase.

As for Garland being selfish, unless you can read his mind I don't think you can tell what he was thinking with a 2-0 count.

s*** man, is all you had to do was watch the first 5 innings and then watch the last out of the 6th, and all of the 7th and 8th. He absolutely REFUSED to throw strikes on hitter's counts. There is no mind reading involved, it was plain as day by watching his sequences. On the other hand though, if his idea of throwing 2-0 strikes is the same as the cookie he served up to Cabrera 2-0 bottom of the 9th, I'm kind of glad he did walk those 3 batters, lol.

So what the hell does that mean, day is a good pitcher but he's no where near a great pitcher.  This team has struggled against any good pitchers this year and that needs to change I'm not talking about lighting these guys up but how about 3 or 4 runs one of these games.  This is supposed to be one of the best offenses in baseball you'd think they'd be able to score more then 1 earned run on day.  Garland pitched damn good and the offense didn't show up, it wasn't garlands fault, it was this offenses fault, period.

We were without PK, Maggs, and Crede, and Day pitched well. This was not a game that we were going to score a bunch of runs.

Oh well, its f***ing June. Don't get too high with a win, don't get too low with a loss. Take everything in stride, it seriously makes these games alot is easier (as a fan). It doesn't mean that I don't care that much, becasue I do.

It's time for everyone to take a pill. We are fine. It sucks to lose 2 out of three to the f***ing Expos but the Red Sox lost two out of three to the Rockies this week too. This crap happens during a long season.

There are so many things about this year's team that are better than last year's team. The best decision KW has made as a GM was to hire Ozzie and frankly when he made it I was concerned. Managing a baseball game is anything but an exact science. Try managing a little league team. Even at that level you will see how difficult it is.

I remain convinced that we will bounce back and I am also glad that KW is being patient. He screws up when he loses patience. You make deals when the deals are right. You don't make deals out of desperation.

Often times, I read these threads after games and I wonder how you people can handle the day to day ups and downs of life. It's a 162 game schedule and even if we have a great season we will likely lose 70 games. Get used to it. Your family members will appreciate it.

On the other hand though, if his idea of throwing 2-0 strikes is the same as the cookie he served up to Cabrera 2-0 bottom of the 9th, I'm kind of glad he did walk those 3 batters, lol.

Look on the bright side, at least he didn't issue perhaps the dreaded-est walk of all - one with a game-winning run at 2nd and 1st base open to set up a DP.

Hawk must be thrilled. :lol:

The Sox should be embarassed by their recent road trips. We got beat on the West coast and we travel to Florida and Montreal to get beat. However, Jon Garland was not the problem today. Jon deserved the confidence of Ozzie by pitching the 9th inning. He had given up only 1 hit. A great performance, but maybe when he gave up that double to Vidro we should have seen Shingo in there. Second guessing though ain't going to give you any different outcome to today's game. We just have to hope that someone steps up and delivers in the upcoming series('s)

Yesterday I watched part of the game up to the point Munoz had given up 11 runs. I left, but kept the VCR running. We almost came back for the win didn't we? Ended up 17-14. I couldn't believe it. But, the relief corp just isn't as sharp as it was earlier. The starters for the most part have not been as sharp either. I hope it's just a little bump in the road to the pennant though.

Look on the bright side, at least he didn't issue perhaps the dreaded-est walk of all - one with a game-winning run at 2nd and 1st base open to set up a DP.

Hawk must be thrilled. :lol:

Hawk was mad...

Jon pitched a helluva game, tough way to take a loss.

But these quotes from him before the game on 'taking one for the team' sound anything but selfish to me.

Garland was ready to take one for the team, telling his manager before the game that he would stay in for as many innings as needed, even if things turned sour.

"I don't care if I'm giving up runs or if I'm shutting them down," Garland said. "I'm not going to worry about my stats. I'm going to worry about the other guys on this team and they're arms. If I'm healthy and I can go, I'll eat up the innings."

Garland was great.

Anybody who calls him Judy after a game like that is

a moron.

Nice crowd of 6,000 fans by the way.

Move to Vegas, Expos.

How about we call him Jon "I threw the ugliest 3 hitter in history" Garland, would that keep me out of Moronland? The guy gave up 3 hits and 3 walks, 6 total baserunners. That's pretty badass. The fact that 4/6 scored is pretty much just ass.

Jon pitched a helluva game, tough way to take a loss.

But these quotes from him before the game on 'taking one for the team' sound anything but selfish to me.

Is all I know is that I was sitting on my couch fuming while watching that 6th inning. It was so obvious to me that he was scared to pitch on hitters counts. He had pitched strikes on 2-0 counts in the 1st-5th innings, but suddenly he TOTALLY changed his approach and then after giving up a hit his approach went back to the way it was. I'd say that I was just seeing things but DJ helped to confirm that it wasn't just my pessimism, he and Hawk saw the same thing.

Garland gave us a great chance of winning today, it was just too bad Zach Day did the same thing for the Expos. Isn't it annoying when you score 14 runs and can't win, and then your pitcher does great for 8 innings and you can't win either. It's called clutch hitting. ;)

The Sox should be embarassed by their recent road trips

They simply did not look like a team with playoff aspirations (to say nothing of the 86-year World Series drought, lol) should in Oakland, Seattle, Florida and Montreal.

But still better than either 2002 or 2003 teams would, so, um, that's something. I guess.

They simply did not look like a team with playoff aspirations (to say nothing of the 86-year World Series drought, lol) should in Oakland, Seattle, Florida and Montreal.

But still better than either 2002 or 2003 teams would, so, um, that's something. I guess.

Yeah its something alright...