Ozzie has problems

fathom

Ozzie has had a string of terrible managing decisions lately. Not only does he continue to let the other teams best players continue to beat us, but he has no clue when to make switches, etc. NO way should Frank have been in the field after he batted in the 9th. Not having Willie bunt in the 8th was puzzling. The Sox needed to make sure that Frank got an AB w/the go-ahead run in scoring position. Also, Miguel Olivo should not get a lot of time against rhp. He's too easy of an out if he's not facing a lefty.

Yeah that was a poor day for Ozzie in managing decisions.

Physical Mistakes I can live with, Mental Mistakes I cannot.

Ozzie should have:

-Taken Thomas out for the 9th and brought in Konerko

-Taken Jon Garland out for the 9th, he looked tired in the dugout.

Looking at the talent on the Twins and Indians, I really wonder if the Sox can finish ahead of these teams this year. In years past, the Sox were more talented. However, the Indians have a better staff than the Sox this year, and the Twins staff is equal to the Sox. Now, the Indians have a bad bullpen, but the Twins bullpen is superior ot the Sox. In terms of offensive players, I really think that the Indians and Twins have better talent than the Sox do. You dont see them having to start a Gload, Perez, or Harris everyday. I guess this is what ahppens when you don't sign any free agents during the offseason, and your minor league system is a joke.

Looking at the talent on the Twins and Indians, I really wonder if the Sox can finish ahead of these teams this year.  In years past, the Sox were more talented.  However, the Indians have a better staff than the Sox this year, and the Twins staff is equal to the Sox.  Now, the Indians have a bad bullpen, but the Twins bullpen is superior ot the Sox.  In terms of offensive players, I really think that the Indians and Twins have better talent than the Sox do.  You dont see them having to start a Gload, Perez, or Harris everyday.  I guess this is what ahppens when you don't sign any free agents during the offseason, and your minor league system is a joke.

We'll stay ahead of the Indians. I'm not worried about Minnesota either. I'm worried about losing in the first round of the playoffs with what we have.

Looking at the talent on the Twins and Indians, I really wonder if the Sox can finish ahead of these teams this year.  In years past, the Sox were more talented.  However, the Indians have a better staff than the Sox this year, and the Twins staff is equal to the Sox.  Now, the Indians have a bad bullpen, but the Twins bullpen is superior ot the Sox.  In terms of offensive players, I really think that the Indians and Twins have better talent than the Sox do.  You dont see them having to start a Gload, Perez, or Harris everyday.  I guess this is what ahppens when you don't sign any free agents during the offseason, and your minor league system is a joke.

Glad you decided to join the boards to b**** and moan. :fyou

We're in national league parks, no DH, which means we sit either our best hitter (Frank) or 3rd best hitter (Paulie) while our 2nd best hitter (Maggs) is on the DL. It's tough to muster offense when 2 of your 3 best hitters aren't in a game. Take Guerrero and Anderson out of Anaheim's lineup and see how they do, take Blalock and Soriano out of Texas' lineup and see how they do, take Cabrera and Lowell out of Florida's lineup and see how they do.

That's the thing, when you're missing some of your better players, you need to make smart managerial decisions. If Ozzie can only play Frank or Konerko, he needs to take advantage of each player's stengths. Therefore, he should have done a double-switch after Frank batted in the 9th to get Konerko in the field and batting if there were a 10th inning. Hell, on Friday night, Ozzie screwed up in how he handled it. He had Frank pinch hit in a spot where the Expos could intentionally walk him, instead of letting him bat with men on 1st and 2nd.

Glad you decided to join the boards to b**** and moan. :fyou

We're in national league parks, no DH, which means we sit either our best hitter (Frank) or 3rd best hitter (Paulie) while our 2nd best hitter (Maggs) is on the DL.  It's tough to muster offense when 2 of your 3 best hitters aren't in a game.  Take Guerrero and Anderson out of Anaheim's lineup and see how they do, take Blalock and Soriano out of Texas' lineup and see how they do, take Cabrera and Lowell out of Florida's lineup and see how they do.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

You can't take Frank out during a tie game. He's been the best hitter on the team in recent weeks. That would be a MORONIC decision. If we were winning it would make sense. Otherwise, you need to keep him in there.

I think Ozzie stays with his starters too long too but the front four have been as good as any front four starters in baseball so far this year so its hard to argue with results. His pitchers are much more confident than they were under Manuel. It's all about results. We obviously need a fifth starter and we obviously need help in the pen. I don't think you can blame that on Ozzie.

So if taking out Frank is a moronic deciision, than why did he do it against the Marlins on Thursday during a tie game in extra innings? That was an even worse decision cause he coudl have had Willie pinch run for him, and Frank was eventually caught stealing. Then, Ozzie replaced Frank for defensive reasons in the bottom half of the inning.

So if taking out Frank is a moronic deciision, than why did he do it against the Marlins on Thursday during a tie game in extra innings?  That was an even worse decision cause he coudl have had Willie pinch run for him, and Frank was eventually caught stealing.  Then, Ozzie replaced Frank for defensive reasons in the bottom half of the inning.

Frank had some sort of injury.

The Indians would be running away with the division if they didn't have the worst bullpen in the history of baseball. They no doubt have the best starting pitching in the division.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling... :headshake

Some of Ozzies decisions lately have been questionable. But it's really easy to make that call after the game, and result of those decisions are appearent.

There's no reason to relieve Garland before the 9th. He had a one hitter going, and had gone 1-2-3 in 7 of the 8 innings so far. Don't give me bulls*** about pitchcouts. In that situation, JG didn't care how many pitches he had thrown. He wanted the win, the only way he could get it was by getting through the 9th. Ozzie wanted him to get the win. The team wanted him to get the win. You wanted him to get the win. He deserved the win.

Maybe Ozzie should have had the bullpen up incase Garland got in trouble in the 9th. But Garland didn't get in trouble. He retired the first batter, and the second should have been out easily at first. JG had shown nothing to indicate that he wouldn't be able to get the next two out, after the "double".

I guess that this was what beck72 was referring to when he mentioned a pile of s*** with flies swarming all around it.