What would it take to get Miguel Batista?

Butter Parque

His numbers aren't that great, but he could be a good #3 or #4. He pitched awesome on Sunday against San Diego and he always goes late into games. My favorite part of Miguel Batista is his playoff experience. No one on our staff has any playoff experience except Schoe. He pitched decent in the world series and can lead us in the postseason. I wonder what we would have to give up for him.

97 IP, 15 Games Started, 5-5, 3.99 ERA. 63 Strikeouts, 47 Walks, 85 Hits, 1.36 WHIP

It's sad to think how little it would have taken to get one more guy in the offseason. I'm not talking about marquee guys either.

Names that I wanted are all performing well.

Redman.

Rogers.

Lidle.

Batista.

I Figured we stayed away from the first three cuz we didn't want another lefty, but not even going after batisa in the off-season really hurt.

Toronto is pretty much done, so I bet he could go...

Offer them Diaz and a cheap prospect and I'd say he could be had.

Miguel Batista or Ted Lilly would be nice, Pat Hentgen is a more likely target. ;)

It's sad to think how little it would have taken to get one more guy in the offseason.  I'm not talking about marquee guys either.

Names that I wanted are all performing well.

Redman.

Rogers.

Lidle.

Batista.

I Figured we stayed away from the first three cuz we didn't want another lefty, but not even going after batisa in the off-season really hurt.

IIRC, Lidle is a RHP. Atleast I think he is. Maybe he switched to LH.

And I don't think the LH/RH thing really bothered KW and JR. I think it was the $$$ thing that bothered them. The payroll was already up a lot, so Rogers and Batista were probably not coming just for that. Can't say that I know why they didn't go after Lidle and Redman. Maybe they figured using Wright in the #5 spot would work just fine, considering the numbers he put up in 2002.

I'm steaming just a little that we didn't trade Lee or Konerko to LA for Odalis Perez when we had the shot. While both Lee and Konerko are having fine seasons respectively, Perez is having an excellent year in LA.

Oh well.

IIRC, Lidle is a RHP.  Atleast I think he is.  Maybe he switched to LH.

And I don't think the LH/RH thing really bothered KW and JR.  I think it was the $$$ thing that bothered them.  The payroll was already up a lot, so Rogers and Batista were probably not coming just for that.  Can't say that I know why they didn't go after Lidle and Redman.  Maybe they figured using Wright in the #5 spot would work just fine, considering the numbers he put up in 2002.

I'm steaming just a little that we didn't trade Lee or Konerko to LA for Odalis Perez when we had the shot.  While both Lee and Konerko are having fine seasons respectively, Perez is having an excellent year in LA. 

Oh well.

I typed Lidle, but I was thinking Lilly when I was referring to RH vs LH.

Was Lilly a FA this past off season, cuz I'm sure I would have wanted him. I've always thought he was underrated. I don't remember, and now I'm confused with the whole Lidle/Lilly thing.

We didn't get redman cuz, As I recall(and we've proved my memory is a little fuzzy) he was the FIRST free agent signed this off-season. Billy Beane targetted and got the guy he wanted to solidify his staff.

I was never really on the "konerko for Perez" train. I thought that KW showed some great restraint not to overpay just for the sake of making a move.

I typed Lidle, but I was thinking Lilly when I was referring to RH vs LH.

Was Lilly a FA this past off season, cuz I'm sure I would have wanted him. I've always thought he was underrated.  I don't remember, and now I'm confused with the whole Lidle/Lilly thing.

We didn't get redman cuz, As I recall(and we've proved my memory is a little fuzzy) he was the FIRST free agent signed this off-season.  Billy Beane targetted and got the guy he wanted to solidify his staff.

I was never really on the "konerko for Perez" train. I thought that KW showed some great restraint not to overpay just for the sake of making a move.

Lidle signed with Cincinatti in the offseason

Lilly was traded from Oakland to Toronto for Bobby Kielty.

Redman was traded from Florida to Oakland(not sure for whom...but IIRC, it happened very close to or perhaps on the same day as the Kotsay for Long and Hernandez deal went down...a move many thought was one of Beane's worst as GM of the A's, but from what I can tell, Kotsay has been solid, and Long and Hernandez have been less then spectacular)

And, IIRC, I was on and off the Perez bandwagon for much of the offseason. Part of me wanted it to get done, but part did not. I was pretty much split.

Lidle signed with Cincinatti in the offseason

Lilly was traded from Oakland to Toronto for Bobby Kielty. 

Redman was traded from Florida to Oakland(not sure for whom...but IIRC, it happened very close to or perhaps on the same day as the Kotsay for Long and Hernandez deal went down...a move many thought was one of Beane's worst as GM of the A's, but from what I can tell, Kotsay has been solid, and Long and Hernandez have been less then spectacular)

And, IIRC, I was on and off the Perez bandwagon for much of the offseason.  Part of me wanted it to get done, but part did not.  I was pretty much split.

Keep in mind, Redman was traded -- as was Lee -- because they didn't have the money to keep everyone.

I also think part of the reason Redman was dealt was due to Burnett coming back this year.

Lee was dealt for financial reasons though.

That's true with Beckett, Burnett, Penny, and Pavano. I forgot about that. Wasn't he at arbitration this year though?

That's true with Beckett, Burnett, Penny, and Pavano. I forgot about that. Wasn't he at arbitration this year though?

It was something along those lines.

I think he and Michael Barret were kind of in the same boat. IIRC, Oakland did get Redman, and, after getting Barret from the A's after they got him from the Expos, the Cubs nearly lost him. They signed him like right before the deadline(as we did Scho)

Redman was traded from Florida to Oakland(not sure for whom

Not like anyone cares, except me, but here's the trades specifics.

Traded by Florida Marlins to Oakland Athletics in exchange for Mike Neu and a player

to be named later (December 16, 2003); Florida Marlins received Bill Murphy

(December 23, 2003).

Florida has not gotten any production out of Neu, who's older than Garland(just had to point that out) -- He's only played in 7 games between AAA and the show.

Also...

That Kotsay/Hernandez,Long deal was done on November, 26th.

How about this deal by BB.

Traded Jonathan Bret and a player to be named later to Montreal Expos in exchange

for Michael Barrett; Montreal Expos received Bret Price (December 19, 2003).

Traded Michael Barrett to Chicago Cubs in exchange for Damian Miller and cash.

I can't find any info on Bret-- So I assume he doesn't exsist - Beane is a genious

Price is 4-4 with a 3.92 ERA in the Florida State League.

Barrett has been a huge surprise on the northside. 200AB's-.305AVG,.505SLG,.353OBP

Miller has done well also. 169AB's - .284BA/.444SLG/.344OBP

Barrett has been a huge surprise on the northside. 200AB's-.305AVG,.505SLG,.353OBP

As much as I hate to toot the horn of a Scrubbie I don't think his offensive production is much of a suprise to anyone.

He always had that huge offensive potential, it was defense that was his problem and thats still a little suspect....