BA update on Kris Honel

DBAHO

Double-A Birmingham righthander Kris Honel threw for the first time since going on the DL with a sore elbow on Opening Day. Although he threw just 12 pitches over one inning, it is an encouraging sign for the White Sox's first round pick in 2001. Barons manager Razor Shines called it a "clean inning," and farm director David Wilder was happy to see Honel back on a mound facing live hitting for the first time in nearly three months. "He felt the discomfort and told us about it," Wilder said. "It was never anything serious, we were just being cautious with him. But it's a great sign--great to have him back and throwing without any discomfort."

Good to see our minor league staff doin a good job all across the board. Duane Shaffer and Dave Wilder seem like uality personal guys, and they know what they are doing. We've just had a very good draft too, with all of our main picks signed and now playing in our minor league system. Let's hope Honel can bring back the velocity, and make his way to Charlotte.

Most ppl thought he'd be with the White Sox in 2005, I'd say 2006 is a more likely outlook unless he really gets back into a groove. But we've seen Munoz promoted from B-Ham as well, so keep that in mind.

Can anyone tell me:

a.) What was Honel's velocity before this injury?

b.) What is his velocity now?

I know it might take a few weeks for Honel to get his arm strength back up, but it would be really nice to have him back up to full speed.

Can anyone tell me:

a.) What was Honel's velocity before this injury?

b.) What is his velocity now?

I know it might take a few weeks for Honel to get his arm strength back up, but it would be really nice to have him back up to full speed.

a. I'm pretty sure his fastball can reach 94 and is consistently around 91.

b. He was throwing 83 in his first outing back.

Rex said he never his 90 on any pitch in his start or two in Birmingham last year, I doubt he has ever hit 94.

oh, well, I was just repeating what it said about Kris on Future Sox under the top 50 prospects thing. So, at least he used to be able to hit 94. I guess he can't anymore, which sucks.

Does this guy seem most likely to start or to be a bullpen guy?

He has been a starter throughout his time in the Sox system, but it will depend on how he recovers from his injury. I'm sure the Sox want to put him back in the rotation.

this knuckle curve...he couldn't throw that exclusively (like a true knuckleballer), could he?  it would be nice if the white sox tried to "create" a knuckleballer. that might be too unmanly for a guy like KW though.

A knuckle curve isn't a knuckle ball, it's a curve ball that breaks harder. I don't know the mechanics of it, but I know that much.

A knuckle curve isn't a knuckle ball, it's a curve ball that breaks harder. I don't know the mechanics of it, but I know that much.

Just the sound "knucklecurve" sounds sick. They're one of the nastiest pitches out there.

So who do you think Honel compares to?

Not many pitchers use a knuckle curve now. Mike Mussina is one.