Maggs Era Ending

DBAHO

Every game in June that the White Sox have struggled at the plate -- and there have been plenty during a roller-coaster offensive month -- manager Ozzie Guillen usually mentions how much his lineup misses Magglio Ordonez.

He better get used to life without the four-time All-Star.

Ordonez confirmed contract negotiations with the Sox have ended and he expects to file for free agency after this season. Considering his price will only soar once the right fielder hits the market, Ordonez is playing his last season for the Sox.

Yes, they made him an offer early in the negotiations. No, it was nowhere near the five years, $70 million he was seeking. The message was clear: The Sox were never that interested in paying another $14 million a year for Ordonez, 30.

Ordonez knew the Sox were already planning their future without their star right fielder before the first pitch was thrown this season, so the thought of him playing elsewhere beginning Opening Day 2005 shouldn't come as a surprise.

The sting of the proposed Nomar Garciaparra-for-Ordonez swap in the Boston Red Sox' failed attempt to land Alex Rodriguez last winter cut Ordonez deeply. It was a slap in the face -- and a sure sign the Sox didn't see Ordonez as part of their future. He still hasn't gotten over it.

But Ordonez didn't want to play anywhere else, believing in April a contract extension was still a strong possibility.

When the Sox never came close to his asking price, Ordonez knew any damage control after the Garciaparra episode was only hollow talk from the Sox.

As he sweats every day trying to return this week from the disabled list -- three weeks earlier than expected -- Ordonez still doesn't want to play elsewhere, hoping there is some way the Sox will change their strategy.

That will never happen once he is a free agent for the first time in his rock-solid career.

He will be the hottest name on the market. The New York Yankees will be willing to pay for one of the most talented and consistent outfielders in the majors. So will the Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Mets, San Diego Padres and Baltimore Orioles. Ordonez is so happy playing in Chicago, you get the idea he would jump at the chance to play for the Cubs if they were interested.

It will be a loss that will be lamented by Sox fans for years. Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf will shrug and say the Sox made an offer, trying to make Ordonez look like the bad guy, the same way they did when they let Robin Ventura walk after the 1998 season.

When he went on the disabled list May 26 -- for the first time in his 61/2-year career -- Ordonez was hitting .311 with eight homers and 34 RBI in 42 games. Including Monday's 5-1 loss to the Cleveland Indians, the Sox are 11-13 in the 24 games Ordonez has missed this season.

The Sox' best in-house options to replace Ordonez next season are minor-leaguers Jeremy Reed and Joe Borchard.

Reed, 22, a second-round pick in the 2002 draft and one of the team's highly touted prospects, entered Monday hitting .273 with eight homers and 35 RBI in 68 games at Class AAA Charlotte.

He hit .373 splitting his time between Class A Winston-Salem (.333) and Class AA Birmingham (.409) last season. Borchard, 25, was the Sox' first-round pick in the 2000 draft. He entered Monday hitting .278 with 12 homers and 41 RBI in 60 games with Charlotte.

Borchard got a record $5.3 million bonus when he was drafted, and if he doesn't find a starting spot in the big leagues soon, he will be one of the biggest busts in team history. The Sox must either start him in their outfield or trade him.

With the team committed to Carlos Lee through 2005, with a team option in 2006, Borchard won't play left field. He has already proved he isn't a major-league center fielder. His only spot would be right field.

Ordonez is quick to remind that the season before sticking in the majors in 1998, he won the American Association MVP award and Rookie of the Year after winning the batting title with a .329 average at Class AAA Nashville.

His credentials were much more solid than the ones being displayed by Reed or Borchard.

When the dust settles from the eventual Ordonez exit, the Sox will look as silly as they did in their failed pursuit to sign A-Rod on the cheap days before he landed his landmark 10-year, $252 million contract from the Texas Rangers.

The spin will be Ordonez made the choice to walk away. Don't believe it.

I have a suggestion.

Can we leave these threads about Magglio til the end of the season so then we can deal with them, please?

I have a suggestion...

Why not let people talk about what they want to talk about.. and if you don't like it, don't respond.

And before your board cop slaps the cuffs on me.. again..let me be sure to clarify that this isn't a shot at you.

I have a suggestion...

Why not let people talk about what they want to talk about.. and if you don't like it, don't respond.

And before your board cop slaps the cuffs on me.. again..let me be sure to clarify that this isn't a shot at you.

Besides, these are so much fun.

As long as the conversation is civil, there should be no stops on topics. We have forums for everything.

Besides, these are so much fun.

As long as the conversation is civil, there should be no stops on topics. We have forums for everything.

Civil is all I want.

I was just saying as fans, why not worry about Magglio until he's healthy again and can show us what he can do til the end of this year? Anyway, yeah, I'll agree we have no potent offense or defense coming out of right field.

Civil is all I want.

I was just saying as fans, why not worry about Magglio until he's healthy again and can show us what he can do til the end of this year? Anyway, yeah, I'll agree we have no potent offense or defense coming out of right field.

Being a fan is all about hope and looking to the future.

Civil is all I want.

Maggs contract situation is always going to have people talking whether they like it or not. It's such an important decision for this franchise in terms of payroll and the potential fan backlash.

...... Ordonez isnt going anywhere yet.

KW has been honest on air about situations, without giving away details, and said that neither maggs nor his agent have said he is walking away.......

sun times just wants to get fans in an uproar!

...... Ordonez isnt going anywhere yet.

KW has been honest on air about situations, without giving away details, and said that neither maggs nor his agent have said he is walking away.......

sun times just wants to get fans in an uproar!

I heard that today on my way home on the Score. The guy said that KW told them they are still talking, and that the Sun-Times guy was just flat out wrong. The Score reporter then mentined the "Vlad-money" that Mags wants, and how he wasn't offered that by the Sox, but WAS offered $12 million for 4 years with a 5th year option. IF, and I repeat IF, that is the case, why is Mags holding out for $2 million more a year? He isn't Vlad, no matter what his agent whispers into his ear. If he really wants to play here, that that deal seems fair. I love the idiot reporters last line "The spin will be Ordonez made the choice to walk away. Don't believe it." Why should we believe him? If Mags walks to $2 mil per year, no spin needed. He wanted to go.

This article is good for one reason. IT makes the Sox look bad and could put a little more pressure on ownership to do something. It also sounds like Maggs is here. Then again, their wasn't a quote in this thing so the guy could simply be talking out of his ass.

Reading that it sounds to me that they are still talking although their are hints that Maggs wants to at least test Free agency and to be honest, I don't blame him. If he doesn't get his offer, he should at least see whats out there. This will be his last big contract and well its up to him to do this.

However, if the Sox step up their offer close to what he wants, I think he signs. I sure as hell hope so, I Just bought a maggs jersey cuase it was on sale and he's one of my fav's. Its my first Sox jersey ever, hopefully it brings good luck.

Supposed to come in the mail by Friday :D

Every game in June that the White Sox have struggled at the plate -- and there have been plenty during a roller-coaster offensive month -- manager Ozzie Guillen usually mentions how much his lineup misses Magglio Ordonez.

He better get used to life without the four-time All-Star.

Ordonez confirmed contract negotiations with the Sox have ended and he expects to file for free agency after this season. Considering his price will only soar once the right fielder hits the market, Ordonez is playing his last season for the Sox.

Yes, they made him an offer early in the negotiations. No, it was nowhere near the five years, $70 million he was seeking. The message was clear: The Sox were never that interested in paying another $14 million a year for Ordonez, 30.

Ordonez knew the Sox were already planning their future without their star right fielder before the first pitch was thrown this season, so the thought of him playing elsewhere beginning Opening Day 2005 shouldn't come as a surprise.

The sting of the proposed Nomar Garciaparra-for-Ordonez swap in the Boston Red Sox' failed attempt to land Alex Rodriguez last winter cut Ordonez deeply. It was a slap in the face -- and a sure sign the Sox didn't see Ordonez as part of their future. He still hasn't gotten over it.

But Ordonez didn't want to play anywhere else, believing in April a contract extension was still a strong possibility.

When the Sox never came close to his asking price, Ordonez knew any damage control after the Garciaparra episode was only hollow talk from the Sox.

As he sweats every day trying to return this week from the disabled list -- three weeks earlier than expected -- Ordonez still doesn't want to play elsewhere, hoping there is some way the Sox will change their strategy.

That will never happen once he is a free agent for the first time in his rock-solid career.

He will be the hottest name on the market. The New York Yankees will be willing to pay for one of the most talented and consistent outfielders in the majors. So will the Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Mets, San Diego Padres and Baltimore Orioles. Ordonez is so happy playing in Chicago, you get the idea he would jump at the chance to play for the Cubs if they were interested.

It will be a loss that will be lamented by Sox fans for years. Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf will shrug and say the Sox made an offer, trying to make Ordonez look like the bad guy, the same way they did when they let Robin Ventura walk after the 1998 season.

When he went on the disabled list May 26 -- for the first time in his 61/2-year career -- Ordonez was hitting .311 with eight homers and 34 RBI in 42 games. Including Monday's 5-1 loss to the Cleveland Indians, the Sox are 11-13 in the 24 games Ordonez has missed this season.

The Sox' best in-house options to replace Ordonez next season are minor-leaguers Jeremy Reed and Joe Borchard.

Reed, 22, a second-round pick in the 2002 draft and one of the team's highly touted prospects, entered Monday hitting .273 with eight homers and 35 RBI in 68 games at Class AAA Charlotte.

He hit .373 splitting his time between Class A Winston-Salem (.333) and Class AA Birmingham (.409) last season. Borchard, 25, was the Sox' first-round pick in the 2000 draft. He entered Monday hitting .278 with 12 homers and 41 RBI in 60 games with Charlotte.

Borchard got a record $5.3 million bonus when he was drafted, and if he doesn't find a starting spot in the big leagues soon, he will be one of the biggest busts in team history. The Sox must either start him in their outfield or trade him.

With the team committed to Carlos Lee through 2005, with a team option in 2006, Borchard won't play left field. He has already proved he isn't a major-league center fielder. His only spot would be right field.

Ordonez is quick to remind that the season before sticking in the majors in 1998, he won the American Association MVP award and Rookie of the Year after winning the batting title with a .329 average at Class AAA Nashville.

His credentials were much more solid than the ones being displayed by Reed or Borchard.

When the dust settles from the eventual Ordonez exit, the Sox will look as silly as they did in their failed pursuit to sign A-Rod on the cheap days before he landed his landmark 10-year, $252 million contract from the Texas Rangers.

The spin will be Ordonez made the choice to walk away. Don't believe it.

I like Maggs I really do, but he is NOT worth 14 mil a yr. So long Maggs and you are NOT in Vlad's league money or talent wise.

I like Maggs I really do, but he is NOT worth 14 mil a yr. So long Maggs and you are NOT in Vlad's league money or talent wise.

You can just take anyone from AAA and they will do fine. Just like our AAA pitchers.

Imagine the represussions if Vlad decided to sign for only $8 million. Baseball's economy would all go to hell. I wonder if JR was involved with Vlad's contract since it would determine how much Maggs could make. Of course if Vlad had gotten 5/100 then we cold have signed Maggs for 5/75 and it would be OK. Damn Vlad.

If I'm not mistaken Frank tested free agency and we managed to get him back.

I say let him test it.

If he leaves he leaves.

We could just as easily use that 14 Mil to sign a couple of solid starters, a power hitting CF, and move AROW into RF where he is a better defensive player by far (Great Arm, Range) and over a full season can hit .280+ 15+ HR's and 70+ RBI's.

Lineup would look like this...

Willie Harris 2B

Juan Uribe SS

Frank Thomas DH

Carlos Lee LF

{Some Power Hitting CF}

Paul Konerko {Provided he'd take a pay cut...} 1B

Aaron Rowand RF

Joe Crede 3B

Miguel Olivo/Jamie Burke C

That lineup doesn't seem so bad to me...

There is no way we should screw over the organization to keep a fan favorite around... If he is demanding 14 mil a year and wont settle for what we offered him then let him go... Why spend so much money on one player when we could EASILY use 14 Mil to make the club much better?

12 mil and 14 mil.... jesus do you really have to complain about that and hold out for more? come on now