Sox Needs

Chisoxfn

Well, the bullpen has officially become the #1 need. The drastically need two relievers so Jackson and one other (be it Politte or Darensbourg or whomever). I'd say one would like to be a really proven reliever, but there are a couple guys that are veteran type relievers that put up good numbers and could come to Chicago and really add depth to the pen. Personally I like the Brian Meadows idea from earlier. He's a quality reliever that could probably be had for a mid level prospect, maybe even for a Jason Grilli.

The other would be Eddie Guardado or Ugie Urbina. If the Sox got either, they would be adding a bit of payroll, but both are quality relievers. Urbina is struggling in Detroit however, but he's still a quality reliever. Braden Looper would be another good pickup, although I have no idea if the mets would be interested in moving him with the team out.

The Sox could also go a little cheaper and pick up another lesser name guy like Stephen Randolph who does pretty good for the Dbacks and seems to have some upside.

I personally feel this move is more important than getting a 5th starter because a bullepn is really key to winning the first 4 games. This can help the Sox get back into shape and then the Sox can work on picking up their ace. They should be able to acquire two relievers without giving up an arm and a leg.

If they get someone like Guardado, then I'd like to see it as part of a big deal including Garcia. A package similar to Rauch, Borchard or Reed, and then another good prospect depending on what the Mariners want. Maybe even an additional prospect if necessary. I'd assume that the Mariners would want a position prospect because they have good pitching prospects in their own system. This would be pretty far fetched though, but throwing it out there.

Its more likley they just get Garcai for Rauch/Borchard and maybe someone else.

Either way, I think Kenny needs to first focus on the bullpen.

I should add, if I wre the Sox, I would put Magglio Ordonez quietly on the trading block, but only if they plan on adding an additional bat (that they could maybe keep) that would help this team this year and in the long run, while gaining some chips to acquire more pitching and relieving.

I think a little less offense (while gaining a good left handed bat) and more pitching (one stud starter, and two very good relievers) would do more for this ball club.

I should add, if I wre the Sox, I would put Magglio Ordonez quietly on the trading block, but only if they plan on adding an additional bat (that they could maybe keep) that would help this team this year and in the long run, while gaining some chips to acquire more pitching and relieving. 

I think a little less offense (while gaining a good left handed bat) and more pitching (one stud starter, and two very good relievers) would do more for this ball club.

:ph34r:

You'd seriously consider trading Magglio when the Sox are two games behind first in the American League Central? Not only would this trade mutate into a public relations disaster, but you're effectively removing the most consistent hitter in your lineup. I'd rather see Lee, Konerko, or Valentin shipped before Ordonez.

I admit the logistics of a trade could work, but I severly doubt KW entertains offers for Maggs. Don't forget Jason, Maggs would likely become a rental player for whatever team he is traded to. White Sox wouldn't be recieving their "ace" pitcher, stud reliever, or quality LH bat that a Magglio trade should (IMO) warrant. Look at Beltran: Kansas Cities GM (name escaped me) is seeking a combination of catcher/3rd base prospects in return for a solid player.

From the "DUH" files, the Sox need another starter and 2 relievers. Simple as that. Well, not that simple. Can you imagine the cost for 3 pitchers? I don't think we have the resources to acquire that, unless we mortgage the farm system, and that will kill us for the future.

It's almost a lose/lose proposition. :angry:

Instead of moving Maggs, a deal of Konerko to LA for maybe Dave Roberts + [i'd love Wilson Alvarez] could work. Someone who can consistently get on base in front of Maggs, Frank and Lee.

With the salary move, the Sox could take on even more salary to shoe up pitching

Instead of moving Maggs, a deal of Konerko to LA for maybe Dave Roberts + [i'd love Wilson Alvarez] could work. Someone who can consistently get on base in front of Maggs, Frank and Lee.

With the salary move, the Sox could take on even more salary to shoe up pitching

Can't see Roberts fitting into our outfield, he's platoonin with Jayson Werth right now. Alvarez is a NL pitcher. Dodgers are more interested in Mike Sweeney even though he's got a higher salary, KC will prob accept less for him considering his contract.

With pitching as scarce as it is, I don't see any team willing to rent Magglio while giving us the pitchers he's worth in return. I mean the only contending teams with deep, dominant staffs are OAK, CHN, HOU, and kinda sorta BOS. Maggs for Zito and Bradford, or Maggs for Clement and Farnsworth, or Maggs&Cotts for Dotel and Oswalt. You take those pitchers away from those teams and they are all weakened tremendously, with OAK being the only exception.

I do agree that we could afford to trade Maggs being our weakness lies in our pitching and not our offense, with the assurance that we'd pick up a LH power bat (Finley). I just don't see any contending teams wanting to trade away the caliber of pitching that we'd need in return.

I like this idea.

How about trading Maggs for Garcia and Guardado? Obviously Seattle only does this if they are confident they can sign him long-term.

Then go get Finley.

That would help a lot.

I like this idea.

How about trading Maggs for Garcia and Guardado?  Obviously Seattle only does this if they are confident they can sign him long-term.

Then go get Finley.

That would help a lot.

I agree. Trading Maggs and prospects for Guardado, Garcia and Finly would drastically improve this team. I don't see Seattle pulling the trigger on this unless they feel that they can turn Maggs over and get get more for him than they could for the two pitchers.

*BUZZ*

I'm sorry, that's a wrong answer.

Try again.  ;)

Wrong answer? Why? There's an obvious need for pitching on this team, and they've proven that they can score runs without Magglio. The Sox are NOT resigning him next year, so why not get something for him while improving your team's chances for a playoff run at the same time?

This makes so much sense, there's no way it happens.

Maggs is about the best bargaining chip the Sox have. Teams don't really seem too interested in anyone else the Sox have and that the Sox are willing to trade that is. I am sure the Sox will not resign Maggs no matter how much anyone wants them to. The Sox obviously have much bigger holes than the offense. They have to trade a big booper for some pitching plain and simple. I say bye bye Maggs if they can get some good pitching.

From the "DUH" files, the Sox need another starter and 2 relievers.  Simple as that.  Well, not that simple.  Can you imagine the cost for 3 pitchers?  I don't think we have the resources to acquire that, unless we mortgage the farm system, and that will kill us for the future. 

It's almost a lose/lose proposition.    :angry:

Unless you get guys that aren't rental players. If the Sox go out and acquire players that can help the Sox this year and next year, then I say go for it.

I also realize they probably won't move Maggs, but if they are limited in their payroll resources, pitching is what this team needs. I don't want Maggs gone, but I'm not in KW's shoes. Of course, dealing Maggs would kill fan support which has been growing. On paper I think you could win out, but financailly it would probably kill the team as it would further irritate fans that are finally coming back to the park.

If they move Konerko, they could do it for Freddy Garcia straight up, imo. I just don't know if the sox want to move Konerko. I do agree I'd rather move Konerko then Garcia. Konerko is playing really well though, which is great for his trade value.

If the Sox could use a package of Konerko, Rauch and maybe a midlevel prospect or even Konerko/Borchard/Rauch to land Garcia, Everyday Eddie and Olerud it would be an intriguing possibility. The Sox wouldn't eat too much payroll and they'd pick up a veteran left handed bat for the lineup. They'd also get a ton of help for that pitching staff, imo, and could maybe even accomplish this type of deal without giving up Borchard.

I like this idea.

How about trading Maggs for Garcia and Guardado?  Obviously Seattle only does this if they are confident they can sign him long-term.

Then go get Finley.

That would help a lot.

I've long thought about that type of idea, but to me the Sox would also need to get a good prospect in return, something where if you do lose out on Garcia at the end of the year, you still have something to show for losing Maggs.

I also think this would work with Konerko and just made a post on it before catching your post.

If/When we get a quality starting pitcher, Schoeneweis could be used out of the pen. How effective do you think he'll be? What kind of role can we use him in? Certainly i'm not saying putting Schoe in the pen solves all problems, i just started thinking about the whole pen situation and where he would fit into the mix, and how he would pitch out of there.

Sadly, I don't think we can get a lot of these deals done without sacrificing (sp?) a lot of the farm. These moves should have been made in the offseason, or at the very least, our fifth starter problem. But when Person went down, we had absolutely NO backup plan, well, Danny Wright was the plan, which didn't work.

What I mean is, you shouldn't have to add all these players right around this time. You should be adding bits and pieces. We need at least two relievers, another starter, and probably another bat.

Good luck, Kenny...

Sadly, I don't think we can get a lot of these deals done without sacrificing (sp?) a lot of the farm.  These moves should have been made in the offseason, or at the very least, our fifth starter problem.  But when Person went down, we had absolutely NO backup plan, well, Danny Wright was the plan, which didn't work.

What I mean is, you shouldn't have to add all these players right around this time.  You should be adding bits and pieces.  We need at least two relievers, another starter, and probably another bat.

Good luck, Kenny...

Correct.

Now, is mortgaging that much of the future worth it to acquire the 4 or so players needed? I'm really starting to wonder with this team we have right now. Really, really wonder.

If/When we get a quality starting pitcher, Schoeneweis could be used out of the pen. How effective do you think he'll be? What kind of role can we use him in? Certainly i'm not saying putting Schoe in the pen solves all problems, i just started thinking about the whole pen situation and where he would fit into the mix, and how he would pitch out of there.

Be afraid if he moves to the pen. I think if the Sox make the playoffs, he'll probably be the odd man out and go to the pen, but he doesn't want to pitch out of the pen and he will cause problems, imo.

He was furious with the Angels when it happened. He moved to the pen willingly, knowing the next spring he could go back into the rotation and the angels had a void in their rotation and went another way. It really upset him and eventually he kind of forced his way out and he came to Chicago.

Correct.

Now, is mortgaging that much of the future worth it to acquire the 4 or so players needed? I'm really starting to wonder with this team we have right now. Really, really wonder.

I'm at that point too...then again, everyteam hits a slump, maybe thats all this is.