Its a Nice Win, But There are still a few Problems

Butter Parque

Exactly, he kept the game close and thats great but we cant go every 5th day with him going 5 innings and then getting into trouble and being taken out.

well it's a hell of a lot better than having our starter get pounded so badly he only goes 2 or 3. Rauch is the FIFTH starter. If he gives us 5 innings and only 1 run each time i'll take it. Cotts and Adkins can throw a lot with both being starters previously

Today was a GREAT and timily outing - points for style do not matter when your team is on the brink of a freefall and the day is somehow saved.

However, I hope that people recognize this: it was a good pefromance by somebody who has little hope of being anything more than a 5th starter. Godforbid, Sox somehow think Rauch could turn these performances every 5th day and therefore there is no need to pursue Glavine or Garcia......which let's face it, they might.

Sox were desperate for a win. Rauch delivered just as Rusch delivered unexpected wins for the Cubs. That's ALL it was - a semi-fluke. It changes nothing - we NEED a top-of-the-rotation starter badly.

Think about it, most teams who are going to the playoffs aren't just happy with getting more than 3 innings from their 5th starter. I said I was happy that he only gave up 1 run but come one, I have never seen him go past 5 innings in his starts both this season and 2 or 3 years ago.

If we don't make it this year, you'll be the same people cursing over the fact that we lost these games and asking for Ozzie's head.

This post is so far from the truth it is not even funny. First of all, the YANKEES do not even have a full 5-man rotation...they are looking for another starter for a reason, no? There are about two teams in the majors who really could not upgrade their #5 starter a hell of a lot(those two being the Cubs and the Marlins). Our situation is just a bit more severe then most others...that's all. ANY team(aside from the Cubs and Fish) would be happy with 5 IP 1 ER from their starter. Period.

Last night when I said I was sick of this team, I still mean that and stick by it. I'm not a fool for saying it either. Last year in the offseason, sox fans were thinking back about those games they lost to Detroit. We could have been in the playoffs if we beat them.

We could have also been in the playoffs if we had a 5th starter, if we did not have Koch, if we won a few more close games, blah, blah, blah. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...guess what, it didn't happen. We use hindsight, see the mistake, and fix it. Of course, it still hasn't been fixed(though a few more outings from Rauch like this, and I could be saying differently)

If we don't make it this year, you'll be the same people cursing over the fact that we lost these games and asking for Ozzie's head.

No we won't. Most of us felt this team was a .500 team or worse. The fact that Ozzie has kept us in it until now, and that we are probably a very good pitcher away from not only making the playoffs, but potentially making noise in the playoffs, is worth it. Ozzie has given this team life. He has done the exact OPPOSITE of what JM did.

Butter Parque what the hell is wrong with you?

5 ip and 1 run and you complain about it?

Not a surprise.. you were the fool who last night said Screw the White Sox and you were sick of them and all that...

Barring a trade if we get 5 innings of one run ball out of our 5th starter consistently I'll be pleased.

far as I could tell, Rauch did better than the Numbers 1, 2 and 4 starters did against a team that can hit the ball.

give rauch a chance.

He can do the job.

Can't believe it took 2 full pages before someone pointed out that he outpitched the rest of the staff in this series.

I'm not a Rauch fan, I don't think he has much of a ML career ahead of him, but he f***ing stepped up yesterday. I think some credit needs to be given to KW too. He swallowed his pride, once again, and brought Rauch back. Was he originally just trying to motivate Rauch? Who knows. Whatever happened it worked for atleast 1 game that was an absolute MUST win.

:snr :headbang :headbang :snr

Its amazing how people could believe that this team is going to make some noise in the playoffs. There is a good chance that they won't even be in the playoffs. How could you make a splash in the postseason when the team is the exact same as it was last year and the year before and the year before. Its called mediocre pitching, a bad bullpen, and the most inconsistent hitting in the American League. How does this team have a shot of doing anything in the playoffs even if they get a starter.

Its great to be optimistic about your team and I hope they will make the playoffs and win the world series but sometimes you have to be practical. Nothing has changed over the past few years to make me think otherwise.

Its amazing how people could believe that this team is going to make some noise in the playoffs. There is a good chance that they won't even be in the playoffs

You're right - coming into this seaosn, I had this team winning 92 games and losing 4-1 in ALCS.

But moves have to be made - a top-of-the-rotation starter; a reliable RHP in the pen; maybe a Drew/Finley type if Willie struggles.

If that happens and team stays healthy....why the hell not? Pedro is not the Pedro of old - less velocity. Shilling is 38 and is more susceptable to nagging injuries than ever. Nomar hasn't been the same since 2001 and totally choked in 2003 playoffs. Brown has a back problem. Mussina is just an average pitcher now. Contreras is a mess. Leiber sucks. Vasquez is tough but it's not as if we're taking about Mark Prior here. Jeter is having his worst season ever. Bernie is over the hill. Sheffield is old and hasn't played in at least a week - who knows how the roid cycles affect him. Lofton is 38.

Get Glavine (his ordeal with Questec seems to be over)

Get Urbina

Get Drew/Finley

and Sox could legitimately compete with a healthy (knock on wood) Maggs.

Maybe we won't be favorites to win it all, but were Angels and Marlins "favorties" to win WS in 2002 and 2003? I thought so.

I might be sounding too greedy with this but Rauch only did half of his job. The 5th starter is suppose to give you an alright outing and eat up innings. Rauch pitched ok. He only gave us 5 innings though. We had to use Marte for another 2 innings and couldn't give the bullpen a rest. I'll take the win and the good outing by Rauch, but he has to start going deeper into games.

What did you want? A nine Inning Shutout?? HELLO!!! ;)

Its amazing how people could believe that this team is going to make some noise in the playoffs. There is a good chance that they won't even be in the playoffs. How could you make a splash in the postseason when the team is the exact same as it was last year and the year before and the year before. Its called mediocre pitching, a bad bullpen, and the most inconsistent hitting in the American League. How does this team have a shot of doing anything in the playoffs even if they get a starter.

Its great to be optimistic about your team and I hope they will make the playoffs and win the world series but sometimes you have to be practical. Nothing has changed over the past few years to make me think otherwise.

OK - but tell me the last time a fifth starter gave us this good of a start? GMAFB, sure, we all want Freddy Garcia, Tom Glavine, whoever, but Rauch pitched his ass off against a tough team yesterday, and you're b****ing about it...

Rauch pitched his ass off against a good team? Are you kidding me, he was in trouble the whole time, we should be thanking Aaron Rowand, not Jon Rauch, the big freak looked the same against the tribe as he did against the angels and you guys were all on him that day because he pitched like crap so come on, give me a break, he pitched his ass off, you've got to be kidding me. Thats a pretty idiotic statement to make.