Dallas Morning News Opinion Article

kapkomet

The writer probably is in the pocket of the Rangers owners, who may not want to spend cash. The Sox didn't mortgage the future with last years trades. The Sox only traded fringe players they could do without.

One thing missing is the fact the Sox have young position players in key, hard to fill positions [Crede, Uribe, Olivo, Harris]. They have less holes to fill and could "gamble" by trading some better prospects in order to win now.

What it comes down to is KW cannot continue foresaking our farm to fix problems which should have been addressed in the offseason.

I disagree. I think Kenny is showing midlevel payroll teams the way to get better via the midseason trade. Trading away prospects is minimized if the team can get compensation picks or other minor leaguers in trades. All this depends on a good scouting system.

All teams have questions even coming out of spring training. The yanks and red sox didn't. But now they have needs, just like other teams do. Yet those teams traded away most of their farms systems in previous years, without ever replenishing w/ picks. Now they are in a poor position to fill the holes they have.

The Sox filled holes in the offseason, with young players and guys with 1 year contracts [politte, Takatsu, SS]. Balt, KC, Sea and Ana. did as well, by signing veterans to big deals. Now they are stuck with long term contracts on aging players they can't give away.

All in all, I like the Sox approach better. They have the flexibility to fix holes without hurting the long term health of the club.

I've been saying what that writer has been for years. But i'm way in the minority and you don't want to piss of 90% of your fans, so we must go for it! Future be damned!

Exactly. If he doesn't pull the trigger last year, the fans burn down the house. End of story. This writer has one thing that Kenny and the rest of us didn't have last June: HINDSIGHT! If KW could see the future and KNOW that we wouldn't win the division with those guys, he wouldn't have made the moves.

The Rangers situation this year is different from the 2003 Sox. Texas has some good young everyday players that will get better with experience. Like everyone else, they are in need of pitching. Their everyday lineup is young and solid. They are not in a "must win now" mode like we are.

It all depends on the makeup of your club. if you have a lot of money, like the Yankees, and can sign anyone you want, from anywhere around the world, you can pillage your system. If you can't do that, you have to choose who you think is going to be a good prospect for your team and stick with him. It doesn't always work out (Scott Ruffcorn), but it can (Maggs, Buehrle). The Sox can't pillage the entire system, but they have to have some redundancies somewhere they can pass along for a SP and a RP.

I don't blame Kenny for making those deals. Our team was the most talented team in the majors last year. It's not Kenny's fault Manuel and crew choked. How can Hicks say s***. He finished in the bottom of the standings with one of the top payrolls in baseball. Hicks is an idiot.

So let me see, you are damned if you do or damned if you don't? The same people that rip the white sox to this day for the white flag deal are the same people that are ripping Kenny for last year's "trading of our future." you can't have it both ways people.

The same people that rip the white sox to this day for the white flag deal are the same people that are ripping Kenny for last year's "trading of our future." you can't have it both ways people.

Is this common? I don't know any other flesh and blood sox fans, so I can't comment. I was a big fan of the white flag trade. Goddam if Caruso hadn't lost his marbles and Barcelo didn't blow out his arm. Oh well...