• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The actual text from the Atlanta Journal Constitution article:

Deal may include Andruw

By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 6/26/04

Baltimore -- The Braves might be close to trading pitcher Russ Ortiz to the Chicago White Sox, and there are rumors the deal could possibly expand into a blockbuster involving outfielders Andruw Jones and Sox slugger Magglio Ordonez.

The Jones and Ordonez portion, which was making the rounds in Chicago on Saturday, couldn't be confirmed by reliable sources with either team. But a White Sox official confirmed there have been ongoing discussions about Ortiz.

The Braves would likely get 6-foot-11 pitcher Jon Rauch in any deal for Ortiz. Rauch had his best major league start Thursday against the Cubs with Braves scout and special assistant Jim Fregosi in attendance.

The Braves have been offered Rauch and a couple of outfield prospects for Ortiz. However, general manager John Schuerholz indicated Friday, without talking about specific discussions, that he wouldn't make a deal that wouldn't help the Braves now.

Trading Ortiz for Rauch and prospects would not help the Braves now, and could send a signal to fans and team members that the Braves are looking to next year.

There has been nothing from Schuerholz or manager Bobby Cox to indicate that. They still believe the Braves can win a 13th consecutive division title.

That's why acquiring Ordonez would make some sense. He's making $14 million this season and can become a free agent this winter, and he has let the White Sox know he wants a four-year deal worth $14 million a year. They want him at about $12.5 million annually.

So if they don't think they can re-sign Ordonez, the White Sox could justify paying the three years and $39 million that remain on Jones' contract after this season. Jones is making $12 million this year.

The White Sox want sizzle to compete with the Cubs for attention in Chicago, and Jones' reputation as a six-time Gold Glove winner and consistent 34-35 home run hitter has sizzle, even if those who see him every day see his overall performance declining.

The Braves need a big bat and clutch hitter, and there aren't many better than Ordonez. He's a .308 career hitter who averaged 32 homers and 118 RBIs the past five seasons, with at least a .380 on-base percentage for three consecutive seasons.

He was batting .311 with eight homers and 34 RBIs in 42 games before having arthroscopic knee surgery, and he's expected back in about a week.

With the money the Braves could save by trading Jones, they could possibly afford to re-sign Ordonez or J.D. Drew. Ordonez has played almost exclusively in right field, but does have some experience in center. Drew is exceptional in center or right field.

Rauch, 25, hasn't developed as the White Sox hoped, but remains a prospect in part because of his extreme height and wing span. He doesn't throw sidearm like 6-10 Randy Johnson of the Diamondbacks, and the arm angles Rausch presents are a unique challenge.

He has a 3-2 record and 6.51 ERA in 10 games (eight starts) for the White Sox, two this season and the others in 2002.

Atlanta is 4.5 games back, they arent the type of team that throws in the towel.

I dont think they consider themselves out of it at all.

SB

Which is why they are trying to improve their team.

They obviously feel that what they are missing right now is a big offensive bat(they're missing about 2 or 3 IMO). Andruw Jones is not getting it done right now. They probably figure they can work some magic with Jon Rauch/whomever we give them, and they have their offensive problems figured out. Meanwhile, we make the deal because Ortiz is a solid pitcher and he eats innings, while Jones is awesome defensively in CF and will get back on track here in Chicago.

Do not count me in as one who thinks it will happen. But I do think it is more then a rumor. I just think there is too much money being thrown around in the deal for the teams to agree on some sort of package. It is a fact that Atlanta has scouts in Chicago for this series, and it is a fact that we have scouts in Baltimore for that series, seeing what we can find about these players. There is definately some mutual interest between two teams who are currently on the bubble and think that perhaps one move can push both of them over the top(quite frankly, one does not care if the other is pushed over the top by the move; they just both feel that the move they make pushes them over the top).

Do, however, count me in as one who thinks a move will be done between these two teams. I am not sure what it will consist of, and I don't know when it will happen. I just do think something will happen. I'd like it to not involve Jon Rauch, but I have a hunch it will. With both Scho and Esteban being FA's after the season, I'd like more then Felix Diaz in the minors waiting to be given a starter's role. I'd prefer we have Rauch as well. No moves can be made without Rauch or Diaz being apart of the package, so I will not get my wish.

I don't get this at all. We can't pay, Maggs? Yet we could take on Jones contract?

And how does trading Ortiz and Jones for Maggs and Rauch make the Braves any better? I guess they feel they can still win the division. And they honestly could. I guess they want to get rid of Jones contract. I don't know..I hate all these damn rumors. I want something to fricken happen.

I don't get this at all.  We can't pay,  Maggs?  Yet we could take on Jones contract?

And how does trading Ortiz and Jones for Maggs and Rauch make the Braves any better?  I guess they feel they can still win the division.  And they honestly could.  I guess they want to get rid of Jones contract.  I don't know..I hate all these damn rumors.  I want something to fricken happen.

I don't like this deal at all, looking at Jones' contract. He's really overrated offensively, he'll hit a lot of homers and drive in some RBIs, but that's what Maggs does plus Maggs hits for higher average.

I like Ortiz, but IMO he's a number 3 at best in the AL. I mean, he has a 4+ ERA in the NL, isn't it something like 'add .5 to that and get their AL ERA'? THat's like a 4.50+ ERA, IMO we could probably get that out of Diaz/Rauch.

If the deal is straight up, Ortiz and Jones for Maggs, no way in hell do I do that...

I'm curious.  Is Jones having a s***ty season?

Jones is hitting .243 right now, 12 homers, 37 RBIs. :puke

Career .267 hitter. And yet his contract increases to 13 million per year? No way I want a contract like that in four years or so when Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney are knocking on the door.

I don't get this at all.  We can't pay,  Maggs?  Yet we could take on Jones contract?

And how does trading Ortiz and Jones for Maggs and Rauch make the Braves any better?  I guess they feel they can still win the division.  And they honestly could.  I guess they want to get rid of Jones contract.  I don't know..I hate all these damn rumors.  I want something to fricken happen.

We can take on Maggs's contract. I just think management has realized that paying Maggs $14 mill a year would be a waste of money. He's a hell of a hitter, but for a guy who has never hit 40 homers, has never had an average above .330, has never driven in 140 runs, has never had an OPS of over 1.000, has never been considered one of the best defensive RFers in the game, has never been considered to have a rocket on his arm, $14 mill a year is too much. Jones, on the other hand, makes $12.5 mill a year(which is quite obviously less then Maggs), and IS considered one of the best defensive CFers in the game, along with being clutch and having postseason experience(tons of it at that).

The reason the Braves would make it is because Maggs is a better hitter then Jones. Maggs has a career average of .307...that career average of Maggs is better then Andruw Jones best average IN ONE SEASON(.303 in 2000). He hits for about the same amount of power(30-35 homers a year), drives in around the same amount of runs, and has a much higher career OPS too. That's not the only reason they make the deal. The fact that Maggs is hitting .311 with an OPS of .891 and 8 homers(while missing 3-4 weeks already) is much more pleasant to see then Jones's .243 average along with an OPS of .812 with 12 homers(in 28 more games).

The Braves feel they can turn damn near any pitcher into a good one. They take a "risk" on Jon Rauch, to get that extra boost offensively. We get Andruw Jones to help us defensively, along with Ortiz helping us pitching wise.

I don't think it gets done. But it's interesting to think about nonetheless.

Ordonez would be an interesting CF lol.

And I bet if the Jones Maggs part enters into the equation whether it gets done or not depends on how much the Braves will pay each year.

If they start offering $3mil per year...

SB

Maggs in CF would be interesting. It's just too bad Drew would move to CF. :P

We can take on Maggs's contract.  I just think management has realized that paying Maggs $14 mill a year would be a waste of money.  He's a hell of a hitter, but for a guy who has never hit 40 homers, has never had an average above .330, has never driven in 140 runs, has never had an OPS of over 1.000, has never been considered one of the best defensive RFers in the game, has never been considered to have a rocket on his arm, $14 mill a year is too much.  Jones, on the other hand, makes $12.5 mill a year(which is quite obviously less then Maggs), and IS considered one of the best defensive CFers in the game, along with being clutch and having postseason experience(tons of it at that).

The reason the Braves would make it is because Maggs is a better hitter then Jones.  Maggs has a career average of .307...that career average of Maggs is better then Andruw Jones best average IN ONE SEASON(.303 in 2000).  He hits for about the same amount of power(30-35 homers a year), drives in around the same amount of runs, and has a much higher career OPS too.  That's not the only reason they make the deal.  The fact that Maggs is hitting .311 with an OPS of .891 and 8 homers(while missing 3-4 weeks already) is much more pleasant to see then Jones's .243 average along with an OPS of .812 with 12 homers(in 28 more games).

The Braves feel they can turn damn near any pitcher into a good one.  They take a "risk" on Jon Rauch, to get that extra boost offensively.  We get Andruw Jones to help us defensively, along with Ortiz helping us pitching wise.

I don't think it gets done.  But it's interesting to think about nonetheless.

Dude..I' not saying Maggs is better than Jones. I would love to have Jones. But have you seen the money he's gonna be making the next 4 years? That's what I don't get.

Jones has one ugly contract:

2002: $9.5M (+$3.0M signing bonus)

2003: $11.5M

2004: $12.0M

2005: $12.5M

2006: $13.0M

2007: $13.5M

That's way less?

All that money, and what will he provide? Lots of RBIs, Lots of Homers, GG defense. Yet a .270 average, and a .340 (I'm being nice here.) OBP. Definitely NOT worth it...