ESPN 1000: Freddy Garcia traded to the White Sox

Flash Tizzle

You have got to be s***ting me! Miguel Olivo is such a good White Sox player.

If this s*** is true (I honestly haven’t read the last few pages of this thread, except for the first) than I just saw Olivo play his last game with the White Sox this evening, LIVE.

:crying

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I'm really pissed right now but let me just get something off my chest:

I should be taking some of my own advice as well, but let the trade develop first before we judge it. Look, I know we lost Olivo, a budding catching star, and Reed, a future fixture in our outfield. But pitching is what is going to get us over the hump.

I know a lot of you are pissed - I am too, but let Garcia suck ass before we rip him. Hell, what if he comes here and dominates.

Just saying...

I like Freddy, but as usual, Kenny overpaid.

Ben Davis is GARBAGE.

He was hitting under .100 when Seatlle sent him to AAA and he's hitting under .250 at Tacome with NO power. I don't know if he is a good catcher, but Burke is better at this point.

If we make the playoffs because of improved pitching, the trade will be OK. But in the long run, we're going to regret this one if we don't resign Garcia.

Wonder how much money we got.

Anybody know?

Tuesday Sandy will catch Buehrle, come Wednesday against the Twinks the Sox will throw Garcia instead of Rauch, probably with Davis behind the plate. Burke may get Garland on Thrus. I think the team will have a better chance to win the Minny series with that scenario than if Miguel were to catch Rauch on Wed and Garland on Thurs.

I like the trade... Yeah I'll miss Olivo, but you have to give up something to get something. Reed could be good, but he hasn't played in the majors at all, so it's all potential talk.

I know Garcia doesn't potentially have a 3.20 ERA this year. With Anderson still in the system along with Sweeny (sp?), Borchard, and Lee signed for a couple more years the Sox had a log jam in the outfield.

Trying to be somewhat rationalized here:

Pitching will win us the AL Central. Pitching will win us the ALCS. Pitching will win us a World Series.

Welcome to Chicago, Freddy. You are now our Number 1 pitcher. Perform like it, get us into the playoffs, and Chicago will love you. Best of luck, buddy! :cheers

Good luck in Seattle MO! Good luck in Seattle Reed! :cheers

Kenny said that Freddy's best friend (ozzie) said that we have a good shot to resign to a long term deal.  If we do, then it's a good trade, he's an Ace pitcher and an Ace pitcher is better than Miguel Olivo.

It doesn't make me feel any better about losing Olivo and Reed just because we might sign him in the off season. We might have signed him in the off season without giving up Olivo and Reed.

The only way to look at this is to compare Garcia now for Olivo and Reed in the future. IMO the ONLY way this trade works in our favor is if we win the pennant - not just the division. If we only win the division, this trade sucks - whether we re-sign Garcia or not.

they had to have talked to garcia about a long term deal. i can't see them giving up those two guys without a really good idea he will resign for what the sox are willing to pay.

losing olivo was a huge shock. when i saw the trade at the bottom of espn i yelled out "OH MY GOD!" scared the crap out of my girlfriend in the other room. she came running in thinking there was a tornado coming or something.

trying to look at the bright side of things olivo was our number nine hitter, our ace pitcher won't pitch to him and he still has a lot of trouble against right handers. i always enjoyed watching him play. *crosses fingers on estrada*

Trying to be somewhat rationalized here:

Pitching will win us the AL Central.  Pitching will win us the ALCS.  Pitching will win us a World Series.

Welcome to Chicago, Freddy.  You are now our Number 1 pitcher.  Perform like it, get us into the playoffs, and Chicago will love you.  Best of luck, buddy!  :cheers

Good luck in Seattle MO!  Good luck in Seattle Reed!  :cheers

Rational sucks. ;)

Seriously, I agree with you. They have to get deep in the playoffs. If they do, then it's worth it.

I'm speechless.

And it's not in a good way.

I just now realized that Miguel Olivo was my favorite player.

Or maybe he wasn't my favorite player. Just the fact that he got shipped out of here and none of us saw it coming. This is like a swift kick in the groin to me.

I like Garcia. I think he will help us. But now we have s*** for catchers. And that does not make me happy.

KW, if you don't get us another catcher, so help me God, I will kick you in the groin, just like you just kicked me in the groin.

Does anyone know much about Davis? His scouting report on ESPN indictes a good arm, and I know he's hitting like crap this year. Was/Is he considered a decent player?

Sox had to get a pitcher... Garcia was the best one out there. MO is a good catcher, but not great. Don't forget that Sandy played down the stretch last year when MO was struggling. Don't get me wrong, I love Olivo, but we just acquired one of the best pitchers in the AL this season.

He might become great, might. We all hoped he would, but if you're going to win the Series, you need four horses in your rotation... we now have at least three good/very good pitchers, and hopefully Garland will pitch like he did earlier in the season.

I believe the Sox feel strongly about their chances to resign Garcia otherwise they wouldn't have dealt Big Mo.  I guess this also tells us that they like Borchard more than they like Reed.

Great point. KW knows how good MO was for this team. If we sign Garcia, I'll feel a hell of a lot better.

Taking it all in now:

For years and years, we've had awesome lineups, and what have we done? Jack squat. Right now, for the first time in a long time, we have five pitchers who I have confidence in. Garcia-Buerhle-Loaiza-Garland-Schoenewies. We finally have our five pitchers.

Not to mention Diaz and Rauch, who could potentially help out in the bullpen.

Remember when we were asking a while ago, "If you had one pitcher to take the ball in games 1, 4, and 7 of the ALCS, who would it be?" Well, I think we have our answer.

Welcome to Chicago, Freddy! :headbang

Kenny said that Freddy's best friend (ozzie) said that we have a good shot to resign to a long term deal.  If we do, then it's a good trade, he's an Ace pitcher and an Ace pitcher is better than Miguel Olivo.

RACK!

arms over bats, any f***ing day of the week.

Sorry guys, but I just came from the Cell and looking at this news, I am just pissed. Olivo was the least expected. The least! I saw that young guy smile because the White Sox beat the f***ing Cubs! The cubs damn it! That kid hit a solo HR off Greg Maddux. When I saw that HR leave the park I was cheering real hard for Miguel. And now look at him. I mean... it’s like he was.......... USED!!!

*Tries to calm the f*** down*

The Sox are going for it now. They had to overpay, as other teams were also willing to ante up with all the injuries to SP around both leagues. And the Sox did it without trading away Diaz or Rauch. Big insurance in case a SP goes down.

Let's welcome aboard Freddy. And hope this is the start of a long and winning relationship.

One thing to consider. Are there any veteran catchers around who the Sox might be able to pick up?

Damn, on the way to the game I was thinking of who would be my favorite player if Willie was ever traded. And it just happend to be Big MO. This blows from the standpoint that we lose two f***ing studs, but life goes on.

Don't worry guys Davis is hitting .091 this year!