Is Buehrle being shafted?

clujer420

I just read an article and it said that Alfonso Soriano's contract was renewed by the Yankees for $800,000. Now, that's much more than Mark's contract is likely to be renewed for, BUT...

Soriano made $630K last season (so he'd be getting a 27% raise if my math is correct). If Mark's contract is renewed for something in the $400k's, that's a raise of 30 something percent.

I feel that Mark deserves a long-term deal, but if the Yankees can't give Soriano more than a 27% raise after the season he had (.300, 39, 102, 41 steals), that makes ya wonder.

Thoughts?

I'd say yes, but I look around and most teams just give the standard raises until arbitrtation. Dodger fans are complaining that the Dodgers screwed Gagne, Angel fans are doing the same with a couple of the guys they just renewed contracts with.

I think it happens all around the majors. Now, would it be great to give this kid an extra couple hundred k, hell ya it would.

The thing is maybe the owners think about it and if they give their special players a raise then the other ones will demand it and it will continue to push those salaries up. This way if they keep doing the standard thing, they won't push salaries up.

Lets not forget about Pujols....... he was near the top of MVP voting and won the NL ROY........ and got something along the lines of 25-30%.

The only pitcher whose gotten a BIG Raise.......was C.C Sabathia......and last year he wasn't all that good.

If Buehrle pays his dues.......he'll get his money.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Lets not forget about Pujols....... he was near the top of MVP voting and won the NL ROY........ and got something along the lines of 25-30%.

The only pitcher whose gotten a BIG Raise.......was C.C Sabathia......and last year he wasn't all that good.

sabathia hasnt paid half the dues mark has... dont get me started on this very touchy subject... mark is not being treated fairly and thats that.......... :fyou kw

sabathia hasnt paid half the dues mark has... dont get me started on this very touchy subject... mark is not being treated fairly and thats that.......... :fyou kw

I never said C.C. deserved it......... Cleveland was dumb.

But.....their investment didnt really pay off. If Mark Buehrle, pitches the way he has and doesn't get a contract......he'll go to arbitration and get his money.

Guest hotsoxchick1

I never said C.C. deserved it......... Cleveland was dumb.

But.....their investment didnt really pay off. If Mark Buehrle, pitches the way he has and doesn't get a contract......he'll go to arbitration and get his money.

why yes he will .. and then some........ :D and hopefully :fyou kw in the process..........no one deserves it more than kenny......

The thing is maybe the owners think about it and if they give their special players a raise then the other ones will demand it and it will continue to push those salaries up.  This way if they keep doing the standard thing, they won't push salaries up.

Great point chisoxfn I never thought of it that way. I guess I'm not so upset about Buehrle not getting the big raise.