Quote from Kenny

DABearSoX

Yup.  I still can't see why the Braves would trade him.

They'd be crazy to trade him. He's 25, LH, and has about 2 or 3 seasons cheap before he hits arbitration. With the financial problems the Braves are having with their payroll, they should be looking to build AROUND this guy, not trading him.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can you tell me why?

I'll tell you why. He makes 345,000 and is hitting .336. He isn't eligible for arbitration for a little while, and will be working cheap for several more years. There is no reason to trade him baseball-wise, he is one of the best in the business, financially, he fits wonderfully in the budget.

can you tell me why?

I can't fathom why the Braves would trade Estrada unless they were getting someone in return that would help them now. Compare it to the Olivo trade. We don't trade Olivo for prospects..... just for help today.

Estrada is young and in the middle of an all-star type season. He doesn't have a big contract and he was the guy they got for Kevin Millwood. That trade was panned big time, yet seems to be working out okay. Why would you trade the component of that deal that is making you look good?

I guess the better question is.... Why would they trade Estrada??

can you tell me why?

Another reason that many people seem to forget is that Atlanta is far from being out of the pennant race. If they started getting rid of guys now, unless it's for someone who could help them sooner rather than later, it could be looked at in the same light as the white flag trade that we pulled.

When/where did he say this?

But responding to a would-be return to the bullpen, Schoeneweis told the Daily Southtown on Wednesday, "That scenario would (anger) me quite highly. ... If that's the scenario, then I will be looking to pitch elsewhere."

Varitek is a FA at the end of the year. Boston has got to realize, being 8.5 back of a stacked Yankees squad, that they aren't going to win that division. At the same time though, they're still alive in the wild card race. I'd love to have Varitek in this lineup.

I'm sure Boston will be somebody's trade partner before July 31. If you listened to B&B yesterday during "High Noon," they mentioned something about Boston looking at first basemen, namely Konerko, that his stock has never been higher, and that there are probably things on their roster that the White Sox should take a good look at.

I'm sure Boston will be somebody's trade partner before July 31.  If you listened to B&B yesterday during "High Noon," they mentioned something about Boston looking at first basemen, namely Konerko, that his stock has never been higher, and that there are probably things on their roster that the White Sox should take a good look at.

See, that's what bugs me. I don't like the idea of trading away components of a currently winning team. Kong has been an important part of our winning ways and it would kill me to see him leave, Varitek or no Varitek.

Yeah KW is awesome....Here's another quote from this article on Chisox.com:

Ask Ken Williams about the Major League Baseball trade deadline on July 31, and the question is more likely to draw a laugh from the White Sox general manager than a look of concern or fear.

"The trade deadline. What day is that?" said Williams with a wry smile. "You have to wait that long to make a move?"

No worries over deadline for Sox

I would refuse to trade Paulie. He will (Hopefully) be an All-Star and I dont see the need to get rid of a good player and leave a whole at 1B. Unless we get Ortiz back for PK, Im not doing it. Concerning KW's quote, I love that he is going out and being aggressive. He's done it iun the past. Snag the guys he wants WELL before the deadline and leave the Yanks/BoSox wondering. He did it with Carl/Robbie. He did it again with Garcia. Lets get that catcher and that starter and lets win the division! AND MORE!!!!!!!!!!

Estrada is not 25, he is 28. THis is his 4th major league season and the first one that he has ever produced in. He is arbitration eligible next season.

Arbitration rules:

A player is not eligible for arbitration for three years, and that turns into four years if the team strategically calls a player up in June rather than having him break spring training with the club.

My reasoning of why he would be included is if they are that desperate to get rid of Ortiz's contract or if they want so desperately to get out of Jones' contract. If including Estrada in a deal that helps them do this then they most likely will. If they are that desperate.

Again, he is not as young as you people think he is. I don't know if you guys just like to make things up or just assume he is younger, but he is 28. That is a year older than Ben Davis. This is Estrada's first good year and it is coming at the age of 28. Couldn't the same happen to Ben Davis?

See, that's what bugs me.  I don't like the idea of trading away components of a currently winning team.  Kong has been an important part of our winning ways and it would kill me to see him leave, Varitek or no Varitek.

i agree, i really don't want to trade anyone like PK right now. He's so important to this team right now. Trade miguel was hard enough

See, that's what bugs me.  I don't like the idea of trading away components of a currently winning team.  Kong has been an important part of our winning ways and it would kill me to see him leave, Varitek or no Varitek.

I agree 100%!!!

Estrada is not 25, he is 28. THis is his 4th major league season and the first one that he has ever produced in. I don't know the MLB arbitration rules. When a player is due for arbitration or that, but it seems like he would be eligible for it to me. He is making 345,000 this year.

My reasoning of why he would be included is if they are that desperate to get rid of Ortiz's contract or if they want so desperately to get out of Jones' contract. If including Estrada in a deal that helps them do this then they most likely will. If they are that desperate.

Again, he is not as young as you people think he is. I don't know if you guys just like to make things up or just assume he is younger, but he is 28. That is a year older than Ben Davis. This is Estrada's first good year and it is coming at the age of 28. Couldn't the same happen to Ben Davis?

If your saying that Ben davis could have a year like Estrada next year, I must just laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, for one thing, we know Shoe is going to be out of here, but I really think all signs point to Atlanta for a blockbuster deal.

shoey aint going anywhere...we have only two off days after the all star break..we will need him in the rotation at some point even if diaz takes his place..it would be counter - productive to trade him...what ozzie should do is call cooper in his office and tell him to quit talking to the press..he's the idiot that started all this anyways..if someone needs to go because of this situation it should be him..

there was a report somewhere that said reinsdorf realizes this might be his last best chance at winning a series and is willing to open up the wallet a little more..if thats true we should go get jason kendall..try and get the pirates to take on some of his salary but reguardless , he is the best position player out there right now thats being shopped...and its a position that the sox have their greatest need...its a perfect fit...i dont care how many prospects we have to give up for him...

if we also made the ortiz , jones for magglio and pitching prospects deal our team would look like this...

garcia

buehrle

loiaza

ortiz

garland

shoey

cotts

marte (three lefties)

adkins

pollitte

jackson

takatsu

c - kendall

2b - uribe

dh - thomas

1b - konerko

ss - valentin

lf - lee

cf - jones

3b - crede

rf - perez / rowand

you could change the line up around but those would be the starters imo

alomar

harris

gload

to do this we would take on what?? about an extra 15 mil in payroll?? kendall - ortiz - jones minus maggs

i guess the debatable part of this is , is the team better with jones/ortiz over maggs..does ortiz pitching over shoey or garland make up for the difference in play between jones and ordonez...and how much does jones' play in CF make up for the difference in offensive numbers between him and maggs??..but getting kendall is a no brainer to me..he's a perfect fit for what our team needs

Why is that? Oh wait, you knew Estrada was going to be good this year right? Everyone saw that coming!

:bang

:lol:

Im not saying that I knew anything. Im saying that Davis sucks right now and Estrada was a touted prospect in the Millwood trade. He is having a great year, if we get Kendall, Davis wont even have the opportunity to have a great year. Im sorry you misunderstood what I said. :D

Why is that? Oh wait, you knew Estrada was going to be good this year right? Everyone saw that coming!

:bang

:lol:

Apparently the Braves felt he could be an impact catcher or they wouldn't have traded Millwood for him. I have a buddy who's a big Braves fan. He couldn't wait to see Estrada with the big club this year. Drafted him in our fantasy league with a mid round pick.

i agree, i really don't want to trade anyone like PK right now.  He's so important to this team right now.  Trade miguel was hard enough

I don't want to trade PK right now... but will we feel the same way in 2 weeks? In a month?

Who is the real Paul Konerko? The one from the first half of 2003? The one from the first half of 2004? Is he somewhere in between?

and how much does jones' play in CF make up for the difference in offensive numbers between him and maggs

If you look at their histories, the only drop off is Jones's average is about 40 points lower on his whole career. He's got pretty similar HR and RBI totals. Then consider you're getting a GG in center field AND a putting a damn good defensive player in right in Rowand, add in a quality starter in Ortiz... looks like a pretty good trade.

I don't want to trade PK right now... but will we feel the same way in 2 weeks?  In a month?

Who is the real Paul Konerko?  The one from the first half of 2003?  The one from the first half of 2004?  Is he somewhere in between?

Get out of here with your philosophical s***! Go PK! He is the schiznit!!!!!! :lol: