Garcia offered Deal

DBAHO

Why would Freddie take any offer from the Sox?  if we give him a valid offer, that just starts the bargaining process, and he can interview twenty teams in the off season.  So what that means is that we gave up Reed, Morse, and Olivo for 5-6 wins and a draft choice next June.

I don't like the Olivo part, but we had to go after Freddy. This team was not gonna hold with Garland-Show-Diaz as 3-4-5. Failure to make postseason AGAIN, esp as the Cubs are trying to win the Series, would be another huge blow to the Sox fandom.

If he helps take this club past ALDS, and then demands 10+ Mill a year, then we get a couple of compensation picks and all is well with the world - I assume the playoff run means the beginning of the revitalization of our old alienated fanbase.

Now we just need for players to become less greedy and to execute. Think June of 2000 but with better pitching. :headbang

And Randy Johnson would be welcome as well. :headbang

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no way does KW make this trade for garcia and not sign him up

even if he asks for 9 - 11 mil a year, he'll get it

EXACTLY. KW is a smart man. He knows that he might have to overpay a little bit for Freddy. This offer was just a starting point for negotations. Freddy has already stated that he would like to work out an extension, the money just has to be right. Freddy is probably a bigger priority for KW right now than Magglio. He'll resign him no matter what it takes because he knows the fans and how pissed off they would be if we gave up a fan favorite in Olivo and didn't sign Freddy long-term. The deal will get done and so will the Maggs deal. If KW and JR think there is even a 1% chance the Cubs will acquire Ordonez in the offseason the checkbook will open up because they'll lose fans and fans=money.

Why would Freddie take any offer from the Sox?  if we give him a valid offer, that just starts the bargaining process, and he can interview twenty teams in the off season.  So what that means is that we gave up Reed, Morse, and Olivo for 5-6 wins and a draft choice next June.

:rolleyes: :headshake

If you're going to bash Kenny, at least use facts. You're throwing s*** at a wall right now. Kenny isn't stupid enough to trade a top prospect, a solid catcher, and a hit-or-miss SS for a top pitcher, and then not sign him.

no way does KW make this trade for garcia and not sign him up

even if he asks for 9 - 11 mil a year, he'll get it

It all depends how Freddy pitches down the stretch.

If he has a 4.00+ ERA and loses his playoff game(s), then he can go f*** himself and I'll take the draft picks instead. :headbang

There is always a chance Garcia pulls off a Colon/Ponson Special after signing a fat contract, so let's just watch and see what he does

:rolleyes:  :headshake

If you're going to bash Kenny, at least use facts.  You're throwing s*** at a wall right now.  Kenny isn't stupid enough to trade a top prospect, a solid catcher, and a hit-or-miss SS for a top pitcher, and then not sign him.

Really?

Didn't KW trade prospects for Carl Everett, Robbie Alomar, Scott Sullivan, etc., and not sign any one of them???

Garcia > Alomar + Everett + Sullivan

Actually, I wouldn't mind having Robbie back.

I figured that with his lithe build, track-athlete background, awesome bat control, hand-eye coordination, sound swing mechanics and ever-cool nerves, he would actually age SLOWER than his peers because, unlike, say, Soriano or Patterson, Robbie never relied on pure batspeed/quickness -- which is always the first to go.

What happened to him between his great 2001 season and very mediocre 2002 is a total mystery, that's for sure.

You never know with these HOF'ers - they might give you an Indian summer of a season - and Robbie is much younger than Barry Larkin or Rickey Henderson (as a Met in 1999), Ripken in his final year or even Biggio this year. I'd love for him to have an unexpected awesome 2nd half for us and then retire. :headbang

Uribe is just not a 2-hole hitter, unfortunately. For 450 K (which is what is left on Robbie's contract), I wouldn't mind getting him from the D-Backs. He could still get on base versus RHP, can still run a little bit, field a little bit, is a great bunter.

An experienced and inexpensive insurence if anything else.

Sullivan and Evrettt can kiss my ass, on the other hand.

Actually, I wouldn't mind having Robbie back.   

I figured that with his lithe build, track-athlete background, awesome bat control,  hand-eye coordination and ever-cool nerves, he would actually age SLOWER than his peers because he never relied on pure batspeed/quickness. What happened to him between his great 2001 season and very mediocre 2002 is a total mystery, that's for sure.

You never know with these HOF'ers - they might give you an Indian summer of a season - and Robbie is much younger than Barry Larkin or Rickey Henderson (as a Met in 1999), Ripken in his last year or even as Biggio this year.    I'd love for him to have an awesome 2nd half for us and then retire. :headbang

Uribe is just not a 2-hole hitter, unfortunately.    For 450 K (which is what is left on Robbie's contract), I wouldn't mind getting him from the D-Backs.  He could still get on base versus RHP, can still run a little bit, field a little bit, is a great bunter. 

An experienced and insexpensive insurence if anything else.   

Sullivan and Evrettt can kiss my ass, on the other hand.

Keep Robbie away!

Guest JimH

Here are the facts, this team is going for it.

KW still has a good relationship with Robbie Alomar, Alomar's agents' screw up notwithstanding.

Harris is struggling, and even though Harris is KW's guy, KW has proven he will cut the cord if it's not working out. Koch is a good example.

It would not shock me if Alomar is a White Sox by July 31.

I don't think we just drop Harris just like that though. Not a chance in hell.

However, I could easily see Robbie come here and help. He could be either a starting 2Bman or be a utility IFer. And he would not cost much...maybe a bench player on the A or AA team.

I do know for a fact that I'd like to see another starter here, be it Russ Ortiz or Randy Johnson...someone that is pretty damn good.

I don't think we just drop Harris just like that though.  Not a chance in hell. 

However, I could easily see Robbie come here and help.  He could be either a starting 2Bman or be a utility IFer.  And he would not cost much...maybe a bench player on the A or AA team.

I do know for a fact that I'd like to see another starter here, be it Russ Ortiz or Randy Johnson...someone that is pretty damn good.

It comes with the understaning that Robbie is gonna have to outplay either Harris Uribe or Crede in order to play even against RHP.

Depth is something Sox could use - look at how the "unnessesary" signing of Todd Walker has paid in spades for the Cubs.

And, again, there is always a chance Robbie could revitalize himself ala Kenny Lofton in the second half of 2003 and become a pitcher's nightmare in the pennant race and in the playoffs - an admittedly slim chance but you never know when it comes to HOF talents.

As far as Ortiz and Unit.....don't even mention them in the same sentence. Ortiz won't be an improvement over Loaiza as a #3 the way he's pitched lately....while Unit and his sick Road ERA would be our ace-savior.

And, again, there is always a chance Robbie could revitalize himself ala Kenny Lofton in the second half of 2003 and become a pitcher's nightmare in the pennant race and in the playoffs - an admittedly slim chance but you never know when it comes to HOF talents.

Yeah because he did such a great job of that last year :puke

Robbie put up the same numbers here that he did in NY.  NY hated him for the numbers he put up; it's pretty sad that we considered them good  numbers.   

.253 BA...Woo hoo!

:headbang

I'm not warrenting grabbing Robbie back, I'm just saying he isn't the reason we lost the division. He improved our team at the time. We had bigger problems (manuel, manuel, and manuel ;) ).

It comes with the understaning that Robbie is gonna have to outplay either Harris Uribe or Crede in order to play even against RHP.

Depth is something Sox could use - look at how the "unnessesary" signing of Todd Walker has paid in spades for the Cubs.

As far as Ortiz and Unit.....don't even mention them in the same sentence. Ortiz won't be an improvement over Loaiza as a #3 the way he's pitched lately....while Unit and his sick Road ERA would be our ace-savior.

I would only hope that Robbie would just light it up, but I wouldn't count on it.

However, one guy I wouldn't mind looking at is Matt Stairs. KC is well out of it, and I'm sure they'd take practically nothing for him(sort of like Alomar). He f***ing kills RHP. I'd want him or Randall Simon at the very least.

And when talking about Ortiz and RJ....I was more or less referring to just getting another pitcher. Personally, I'm not super-confident in Garland-Scho down the stretch, and I'd just like to have depth.

I do agree though that we need to do all we can to get RJ. Give them Borchard, Sweeney, Diaz, and Scho, and hope they accept(and I figure they would...perhaps sub in a couple decent prospects for Sweeney). Then hope RJ accepts. We do need to do all we can to get RJ.

to get RJ to accept playing here he'd have to be given a private jet to go home see his family every night...but i don't see how he'd accept this...He could see us stockpiling talent and say, hey, these guys are in it to win, and i wanna be a part of that again...but he could just as easily say that for the Angels, more so the angels in fact.

Robbie Alomar is not going to come here and play as a backup. He's pouting right now because Scott Hairston is starting ahead of him, which is really the right thing to do in Arizona. Junior Spivey or Craig Counsell are probably more likely options IF we go after an infielder, but right now our main concerns are probably an extra guy in the bullpen and a new starting catcher.

Robbie Alomar is not going to come here and play as a backup. He's pouting right now because Scott Hairston is starting ahead of him, which is really the right thing to do in Arizona. Junior Spivey or Craig Counsell are probably more likely options IF we go after an infielder, but right now our main concerns are probably an extra guy in the bullpen and a new starting catcher.

Spivey is on the DL, Counsell could be fun to watch.