Wilder: "They wanted Borchard"

aboz56

There's also Joe Borchard, the switch-hitting first-round pick from 2000. With 14 home runs and 46 RBIs at Triple-A Charlotte, the 25-year-old appears to have turned an important developmental corner. While drawing interest from many teams around baseball, including Seattle, Borchard is staying put.

"Without a doubt, they wanted Borchard," said Wilder of Seattle's interest in Borchard for Garcia. "We feel like if Joe will be a star, he will be a star in Chicago. He has that type of ability.

And I'm glad KW made the right choice and traded Reed and kept Joe.

Thank you, KW.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were the GM and it was a choice between Reed and Borchard in that trade, I would have traded Joe without question.

With all this Joe's gonna be a star, and KW claiming JB is untochable you'd think they would have called him up when Maggs went on the DL, especially since right around the time Maggs was out of the line-up and before the surgery Joe was tearing the cover off the ball, now he's cooled down significantly

f***ing idiot. Borchard will be nothing. He is batting .267 in his 3rd year of AAA, how is that turning a corner?

:headbang :headbang :headbang

This will come back and bite him in the ass for sure. Reed>Borchard and that's proven on numbers and performance alone.

Just imagine if we did trade JB and he ended up being a superstar, after all this waiting for his ass to come around, start hitting and stop striking out and we end up trading him and he becomes good. With the sox luck that probably would happen.

And I'm glad KW made the right choice and traded Reed and kept Joe.

Thank you, KW.

:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

Could you crawl out of Borchard's jock and explain how the f*** KW made a good deal by trading a guy who hit .409 in 1/3 of a season at AA instead of a guy who's last good season was three years ago.

Honestly, EXPLAIN that to me.

Could you crawl out of Borchard's jock and explain how the f*** KW made a good deal by trading a guy who hit .409 in 1/3 of a season at AA instead of a guy who's last good season was three years ago.

Honestly, EXPLAIN that to me.

Well, let's see.

Borchard has more potential than Reed does. He's played better this season as well. And with Sweeney projected in LF and Anderson in CF, Reed became expendable as he would most likely played LF upon his arrival. Borchard projects the best out of all 4 of them in the RF position. People forget that this is just the 4th full season that Borchard has dedicated to baseball and he's 25, not the ancient old man most make him out to be.

The Sox know that something is wrong with Reed's wrists, which he admitted were hurt earlier in the year when I talked with him. Jas feels the same way. And obviously, as has been proven this year, his .400 season last year was most likely the best baseball that Reed will ever play. That's no knock on the guy, but there was a huge amount of hype given to Reed after that season which he will most likely never live up to, at least on that level.

There is no reason to get angry and ask me to "crawl out of Borchard's jock" and "explain how the f*** KW made a good deal." You have your opinion, I have mine. It just so happens that I am a fan of Borchard moreso than Reed because he is more of a power player, which is what I like to see in a ball player. To each his own.

If I were the GM and it was a choice between Reed and Borchard in that trade, I would have traded Joe without question.

With all this Joe's gonna be a star, and KW claiming JB is untochable you'd think they would have called him up when Maggs went on the DL, especially since right around the time Maggs was out of the line-up and before the surgery Joe was tearing the cover off the ball, now he's cooled down significantly

great awesome avatar! :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

Well, let's see.

Borchard has more potential than Reed does.  He's played better this season as well.  And with Sweeney projected in LF and Anderson in CF, Reed became expendable as he would most likely played LF upon his arrival.  Borchard projects the best out of all 4 of them in the RF position.  People forget that this is just the 4th full season that Borchard has dedicated to baseball and he's 25, not the ancient old man most make him out to be.

The Sox know that something is wrong with Reed's wrists, which he admitted were hurt earlier in the year when I talked with him.  Jas feels the same way.  And obviously, as has been proven this year, his .400 season last year was most likely the best baseball that Reed will ever play.  That's no knock on the guy, but there was a huge amount of hype given to Reed after that season which he will most likely never live up to, at least on that level.

There is no reason to get angry and ask me to "crawl out of Borchard's jock" and "explain how the f*** KW made a good deal." You have your opinion, I have mine.  It just so happens that I am a fan of Borchard moreso than Reed because he is more of a power player, which is what I like to see in a ball player.  To each his own.

More potential? Again, Reed led the minors in BA last year and somehow Joe Borchard, the same Joe Borchard whose power has diminished significantly, whose batting eye has gone AWOL, whose walks have flat out disappeared, has more potential? I'm sorry, but scouts and magazines alike have almost annointed Jeremy Reed as the next coming in baseball.

Do you think it is logical to pencil in Anderson as the CF of the future? As much as I like Brian, you have to remember he has just entered AA, presumably 1-2 years away IF he continues his current pace. So we're ready to give up on a guy who has flat worn out minor league pitching to the tune of a .330+ BA for a guy who has just entered AA (I still love ya, Brian)? All of us here have been begging for a CF, and Reed just about fits that bill. Now he's expendable? That's contradiction at its finest.

Joe Borchard is amassing a .330 OBP in AAA. Now give me some evidence that this will increase to a "respectable" .350, at least. 25 BB in 271 AB for a power hitter? Simple stat recognition shows how awful a trade this was in terms of Borchard vs Reed.

Brian anderson=Jeremy Reed

Borchard = ...

Borchard is a one of a kind prospect in our org..he'll be super

Brian Anderson = Jeremy Reed?

Nononono, two different kind of animals here. Reed is a gap hitter with a superb batting eye, while Anderson has much more power than Reed and has a "good" batting eye. Not trying to shortchange Anderson here, but it's easy to say that Reed has a better eye at the plate than Brian. I think with a little more time down in the minors, Anderson could develop more power and hit 25+ jacks. The man is big, he's not a guy who's going to "only" hit you 10-15 a year.

More potential? Again, Reed led the minors in BA last year and somehow Joe Borchard, the same Joe Borchard whose power has diminished significantly, whose batting eye has gone AWOL, whose walks have flat out disappeared, has more potential? I'm sorry, but scouts and magazines alike have almost annointed Jeremy Reed as the next coming in baseball.

Do you think it is logical to pencil in Anderson as the CF of the future? As much as I like Brian, you have to remember he has just entered AA, presumably 1-2 years away IF he continues his current pace. So we're ready to give up on a guy who has flat worn out minor league pitching to the tune of a .330+ BA for a guy who has just entered AA (I still love ya, Brian)? All of us here have been begging for a CF, and Reed just about fits that bill. Now he's expendable? That's contradiction at its finest.

Joe Borchard is amassing a .330 OBP in AAA. Now give me some evidence that this will increase to a "respectable" .350, at least. 25 BB in 271 AB for a power hitter? Simple stat recognition shows how awful a trade this was in terms of Borchard vs Reed.

I am not going to argue Borchard versus Reed with you.

Like I said, you have your view, I have mine. You bring up good points, some of which I agree with. Others with which I do not. I just happen to me one of the biggest and one of the few Borchard supporters left out there.

Jeremy Reed will be a solid major league player. He will never be a star player, which his batting average last season made people think he was going to be. Most of the Baseball America guys didn't rank him in their top 20 prospects in baseball even after last season. He was rated 25th in their overall top 100 list, far from "next coming" you annoited him. The Sox are holding out hope on their 5.3 million investment with star potential.

I am not going to argue Borchard versus Reed with you.

Like I said, you have your view, I have mine.  You bring up good points, some of which I agree with.  Others with which I do not.  I just happen to me one of the biggest and one of the few Borchard supporters left out there.

Jeremy Reed will be a solid major league player.  He will never be a star player, which his batting average last season made people think he was going to be.  Most of the Baseball America guys didn't rank him in their top 20 prospects in baseball even after last season.  He was rated 25th in their overall top 100 list, far from "next coming" you annoited him.  The Sox are holding out hope on their 5.3 million investment with star potential.

Read Baseball Prospectus and ask any sabermetrician. Tony Gwynn and Jeremy Reed were being thrown around in the same sentence.

The Sox know that something is wrong with Reed's wrists, which he admitted were hurt earlier in the year when I talked with him.  Jas feels the same way.  And obviously, as has been proven this year, his .400 season last year was most likely the best baseball that Reed will ever play.  That's no knock on the guy, but there was a huge amount of hype given to Reed after that season which he will most likely never live up to, at least on that level.

Hmmm.... let's see here

Reed's all around numbers from AAA:

BA- .276 AB-279 H- 77 2B- 15 3B- 2 HR- 9 RBI- 39 BB- 38 SO- 32

Reed's numbers in Tacoma:

BA- .333 SLG- .733 AB-15 H-5 2B- 1 3B- 1 HR- 1 RBI- 3 BB- 2 SO- 0

And this is how he's playing with "bad wrist." Imagine this kid fully healthy. Those numbers would increase a good amount and I bet he would still be here.

Now let's take a look at a "healthy" Joe Borchard numbers

Borchard's all around number's in AAA:

BA- .267 SLG- .487 AB- 273 H- 73 2B- 18 3B- 0 HR- 14 RBI- 46 BB- 25 SO- 61

Borchard has the power potential, but that's all I see in him. This team did not need any power guys. We needed a solid contact hitter who can get on base which Reed does/will do. That's why I'll never understand why we gave them Reed. Upside my ass. Reed will be a proven comodity and Borchard has bust written all over him. Reed>Borchard ;)

I agree with a lot of your points, however I do believe that Borchard has much more potential, while reed is definitely the more sure bet. For me it's almost impossible to say which one I would have rather gave up. I've always been a huge borchard fan because I love his work ethic and that's why I still have a lot of hope that Borchard can be a special player because he is such a hard worker.

That was basically Ozzie's call. He wanted to give PT to Rowand, Perez and Gload, rather than call someone up who would be sent back down. He felt giving the part-time players more chances to play would help strengthen the team's bench later in the season.

Now let's take a look at a "healthy" Joe Borchard numbers

He has not been healthy all of this year and has missed time as a result of it

He missed the entire series here in Louisville earlier in the year and probably 5-10 other games as well.

Also barely played in ST because of a quad injury.

And by looking at their numbers in Charlotte this year, you are going to have a hard time convincing anyone that Reed was having much better of a year than Borchard, if he even was at all.