Score Confirms Garcia Deal

HuskyCaucasian

This looks like a steal to me. I am not an expert on what the free agent market will be like this winter, but I feel like Freddy could have easily gotten more if he tested the market during the off-season.

It's nice to see us finally keep a stud pitcher. Nice work KW! Have one on me. :drink

The official release:

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a three-year, $27-million contract extension with right-handed pitcher Freddy Garcia. Under terms of the agreement, Garcia will receive $8 million in 2005, $9 million in 2006 and $10 million in 2007.

Garcia, 28, was acquired by the White Sox from Seattle on June 27 with catcher Ben Davis and cash considerations in exchange for catcher Miguel Olivo and minor-leaguers Jeremy Reed and Michael Morse. The 6-4, 240-pounder is 5-7 with a 3.35 ERA (42 ER/113.0 IP) and 91 strikeouts in 16 combined starts with the Mariners (15) and Sox (one).

"When we acquired Freddy, our short-term goal was for him to help us reach the playoffs and beyond," said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. "But in planning for the future, we also felt he was a necessary ingredient to help sustain the long-term success of the organization."

Garcia, who makes his White Sox home debut tonight vs. Anaheim, ranks among the American League leaders in baserunners per 9.0 IP (5th, 10.99), strikeouts (T5th), ERA (6th), opponents average (7th, .239), strikeout-to-walk ratio (8th, 2.84), IP (T8th) and strikeouts per 9.0 IP (10th, 7.25). He has received just 2.71 runs of support per 9.0 IP, fewest in the AL. Garcia won his White Sox debut on June 30 at Minnesota, allowing five runs (four earned) with a season-high tying nine strikeouts over 6.0 IP.

In five-plus major-league seasons with the Mariners (1999-2004) and White Sox, Garcia has gone 77-50 with a 3.90 ERA (478 ER/1,102.1 IP) and 828 strikeouts in 171 games (170 starts). Since the start of the 2001 season, he ranks among the AL leaders in IP (3rd, 776.2), games started (4th, 117), strikeouts (5th, 578), wins (8th, 51) and opponents average (8th, .245).

Garcia, a two-time AL All-Star (2001-2002), owns nine career complete games and four shutouts. The native of Caracas, Venezuela, enjoyed his best season in 2001, going 18-6 with a league-leading 3.05 ERA. He also went 17-8 for Seattle in 1999 and 16-10 in 2002.