"Available" players mentioned on ESPN.com

ZoomSlowik

If you read the main article on ESPN, they mentioned a few intriguing players being available. One is Preston Wilson. He has been hurt this year, and I know he is another right-handed power hitter, but he had a monster year last year, if memory serves me correctly he was a decent defensive centerfielder, and he has some speed that can help on the basepaths. The more intriguing thing was about the Marlins desperately wanting OF. It speculated that they might move some pitching, specifically mentioning Brad Penny and Carl Pavano. Lee for Pavano? Borchard or Rowand and prospects for one or the other? Thoughts?

I don't like Preston Wilson, he only became a great hitter when he joined the Rockies. The thin Coors air helps him out a lot, when he was on florida he didnt hit like he does now. Remember what Jay Payton did last year with the rockies, and what he's doing now with the Padres, Coors field can make a mediocre hitter into a great one. ie Royce Clayton is batting .293 for the Rockies right now, need i say more.

I'd do Lee for Pavano is a friggin heartbeat. And I'd do Lee for Penny in a heartbeat too.

But does the article say both are available, or that one or the other is available, or does it say neither is available? Cuz if both are available, I am sitting here wondering if a Maggs and Scho(along with maybe a prospect or two) for Pavano and Penny trade would work out.

Definitely not dealing Pavano and Penny. This article seemed to be speculation, bu they don't have a whole lot of tradeable assets outside of their pitching staff. The only other guy they would probably deal is Lowell, and he is a free agent at the end of the year like Pavano. They desperately need someone else that can hit, and if they can get a decent young hitter that is signed for a while, they might bite. Lee probably makes a little much for their liking though.

Preston Wilson would rock the Cell... But Houston's falling out of the Central and NL Wild Card race, who's to say they won't be shopping him soon. Who's with me in trading for Beltran? I'd say everyone.

I think we should stop the Wilson nonsense right here. He strikes out way too much for my liking, it would be like having a Uribe/Valentin type who can play center. I would much rather have Rowand for all his faults and for the fact that we already have him.

I would like to see us get Kendall or find some other savvy catcher move like a brian schnieder or even jason varitek if Boston wants to selloff. Im not holding my breath in the catching dept however.

for once I feel the Sox are an OF short. I wouldnt mind a Brad Wilkerson-type guy on the cheap. He can play any OF and is a 1-2 type guy. The pipe dream that is Andruw Jones continues. Lee for Pavano? Pavano is a FA and thats another lineup spot in flux. Perez Gload and Harris doesnt exactly give me chills.

Pitching is still a concern, but i think a Sullivan 2003 type of deal would be/will be a ceertainty. Rent-a-liever while giving up very little. Steady Eddie would be sweet, but again, Id take another no-name to shore up the foundation.