John Olerud Anyone??

JoshPR

Read on Rotoworld

There is a very good chance that John Olerud will be designated for assignment before tonight's game.

There have been no takers for Olerud in trade talks, and the Mariners want to take a look at minor-leauge cult hero Bucky Jacobsen. Olerud, who has been a major disappointment this season hitting just .245 and driving in only 22 runs, could resurface with the Giants. San Francisco tried to acquire him earlier in the season, but Olerud apparently would not agree to waive his no-trade clause to go there. Perhaps he may now feel differently. Of course, the 35-year-old first baseman may choose to retire, something he has allegedly thought about the past few months.

would the sox have to pick up his salary if they picked him up?

No, Not if he's waived or released. The Sox would pay league Minimum if they wanted to and of course he accepts. If i'm wrong then someone may correct me

If he passed through on waivers, then I'd say make a push to sign him. But I wouldn't claim him on waivers cause in that case, you'd have to pick up the tab on his contract.

If he goes through waivers, then all you would have to do is pay him league minimum and the Mariners would pick up the rest of the tab.

If he passed through on waivers, then I'd say make a push to sign him.  But I wouldn't claim him on waivers cause in that case, you'd have to pick up the tab on his contract.

If he goes through waivers, then all you would have to do is pay him league minimum and the Mariners would pick up the rest of the tab.

He'll most likely pass through waivers. Unless some team is desperate.

If he passed through on waivers, then I'd say make a push to sign him.  But I wouldn't claim him on waivers cause in that case, you'd have to pick up the tab on his contract.

League minimum prorated! :D :D

Pass on Olerud.  I really want to see us win it this year; but I want the core of the team to still be there.  I don't want this to end up being the 1997 Marlins all of the sudden.

How does picking up Olerud to fill in for the injured Frank turn us into the '97 Marlins(and I'm assuming you're not talking about us being WS Champs)?

How does picking up Olerud to fill in for the injured Frank turn us into the '97 Marlins(and I'm assuming you're not talking about us being WS Champs)?

Well I'm just saying. I'm cool with a couple of these big trades. Garcia, and RJ would be nice because he would be around. However, I just don't want to "buy" a World Series victory and then turn around and sell the whole team. I kind of would like to see us win a legit World Series like the 2002 Angels and 2003 Marlins did.

I know I'm going to get heat for that, since we've been all rooting for this team for a while now and not one of us can claim to seeing the Sox winning anything.

Olerud has a weak skull or a brain disorder or something....there's a medical reason he wears that helmet.

He had an aneurism (sp?) and promised his dad he'd wear it. He said he knew it didn't have anything to do with his condition, but it was a comfort to his dad.

Anyone who thinks Gload is an equal to Olerud, wake the f*** up. One of the best pure hitters in the game getting compared to Gload is crazy. He's a lefty bat and would serve a big role on this team, for the league minnium it'd be a steal.

Quick Ricky Henderson story regarding the helmet:

Apparently Ricky and Olerud played on the Mets at the same time, then later in their career on the Mariners together. Well, Olerud had told Ricky the story about why he wears the helmet when they were both on the Mets.

The first day they were together on the Mariners Ricky walked up to Olerud and asked him why he wore the helmet, Olerud, who was very confused, just repeated the story to Ricky... Apparently Ricky's reply was "Wow, that's weird, Ricky played on the Mets with a guy like that."

That's right up there with the fact that Ricky Henderson's alias on road trips is Rick Henderson

Anyone who thinks Gload is an equal to Olerud, wake the f*** up.  One of the best pure hitters in the game getting compared to Gload is crazy.  He's a lefty bat and would serve a big role on this team, for the league minnium it'd be a steal.

Such a great hitter that we can get him for nothing. :D

Maybe a few years ago he was a great hitter, not anymore. He's an okay lefty, that might make a decent replacement IF Frank is out for the year and IF we can get him for the league minimum. Otherwise, the deal would be a dud.

If Frank is out for a long time, looking for a solid 1B might not be a bad idea. Then Paulie could DH as well. Olerud might not be the guy, but someone else could be had.

Dmitri Young from Det. wouldn't be a bad idea. Though Det. isn't likely to make wholesale trades when they are so close to .500.