music

hi8is

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
The problem with the Grammys is that it is literally impossible for them to truely judge all the music released in the year and truely find the best, so instead they go buy Billboard charts and decide from there. It would be the same way if the only movies nominated for Oscars were the top box office draws, and then they chose from those.

Eh, isn't that just more of a "Police thing". I could swear they always did that.

No, I saw Sting in concert with his own band and he pissed me off by Stinging almost every song. It's definitely his thing. There are others who do that, but Sting is the king of poorly covering his own songs.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, stadium arcadium up for best album of the year is so funny. My god, they could've at least shaved 1.5 albums off that thing. So much filler. And then just throwing up gnarls barkley just for the buzz created. "it's so weird!!! lol" jesus. Thing has 3 good songs.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 08:52 PM)
The popularity of the Chili Peppers has always confused the hell out of me. Plus, what the hell is Flea always jumping around about? Doesn't he hear that they play quite possibly the most mellow music this side of Burt Bacharac? I swear, it just looks f'ed up.

AMEN. Most people don't realize they formed in 1983. They were pretty cool up until about 1986, then the suckage began. That's a looooooooong time to be stuck in suck mode. But hey, the records and tours keep selling :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:00 PM)
AMEN. Most people don't realize they formed in 1983. They were pretty cool up until about 1986, then the suckage began. That's a looooooooong time to be stuck in suck mode. But hey, the records and tours keep selling :huh

I swear I thought they broke up after the "give it away" song. :ph34r:

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
haha, stadium arcadium up for best album of the year is so funny. My god, they could've at least shaved 1.5 albums off that thing. So much filler. And then just throwing up gnarls barkley just for the buzz created. "it's so weird!!! lol" jesus. Thing has 3 good songs.

Not as funny as My Humps winning a Grammy

Couple chime-in comments in this Police discussion:

Big lifelong Police fan here, but more partial to the earlier stuff. Outlandos D'aMour is probably in my top 5 rock albums of all time, and I liked each successive album just a little less than the last despite the fact that as far as the musicianship, composition, and production value each new album was an improvement on the last.

I'm right there with Critic's comments about "Stinging It", but also right there with Los' remark that a good musician who doesn't want to be bored out of his skull is going too mix things up like that. Adam Duritz was always that way with the Counting Crows stuff as well so he wouldn't shoot himself after singing the same thing the same way for the thousandth time. Vocalists who can do that and do that As well have always impressed me.

As far as Mr. Sting's early forays into "Stinging It", I think a lot of that was a solo career branding effort, taking his compositions that had already been done the Police way and putting the stamp of his new "jazzy" bands on them. And I think he did it quite well on songs like Bring On the Night and Shadows In the Rain. The latter song in particular is recognized by almost everyone as a rocking Blue Turtles song from that first solo studio album, but it takes a minute before most people realize it was originally a fairly forgettable Police number off Zenyatta Mondatta. Stinging It wins the day on that one.

As far as a reunion,I'd love to see the police live in a reunion show, but I'm not going to break the bank doing it.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
Wow, a lot of you really dislike the Red Hot Chili Peppers? I'm a huge fan. Always have been.

I don't hate on 'em the way some people seem to, but I do agree they have been pretty much in retread mode in the decade or so since BloodSugarSexMagic.

I thought Californication was alright, as a Blood Sugar II but it didn't age well, and everything since has just been a retread of that. And so much studio "magic" to put Anthony Kiedis in key....

The RHCP have the musical chops to be really good, just not with the current lead singer.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
Wow, a lot of you really dislike the Red Hot Chili Peppers? I'm a huge fan. Always have been.

Their cover of Higher Ground is the only thing I ever liked by them, and that got overplayed.

I do enjoy how HARD they RAWK in their videos - much harder than the actual song calls for. Hilarious.

I have never really liked the Red Hot Chili Peppers.. they got a couple songs that I listen to, but as an overall im not really a big fan..

I am way into Avenged Sevenfold, its about the only thing I listen to and im not kidding.. my entire ipod is all A7X and most CD's I make are 80% A7X.. I have been listening to the same A7X CD in my car for like 5 months now I dont think I will ever get tired of them.. I love their stuff so much

QUOTE(T R U @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 03:08 AM)
I have never really liked the Red Hot Chili Peppers.. they got a couple songs that I listen to, but as an overall im not really a big fan..

I am way into Avenged Sevenfold, its about the only thing I listen to and im not kidding.. my entire ipod is all A7X and most CD's I make are 80% A7X.. I have been listening to the same A7X CD in my car for like 5 months now I dont think I will ever get tired of them.. I love their stuff so much

well thats a little weird

and please update your siggypie

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
Couple chime-in comments in this Police discussion:

Big lifelong Police fan here, but more partial to the earlier stuff. Outlandos D'aMour is probably in my top 5 rock albums of all time, and I liked each successive album just a little less than the last despite the fact that as far as the musicianship, composition, and production value each new album was an improvement on the last.

I'm right there with Critic's comments about "Stinging It", but also right there with Los' remark that a good musician who doesn't want to be bored out of his skull is going too mix things up like that. Adam Duritz was always that way with the Counting Crows stuff as well so he wouldn't shoot himself after singing the same thing the same way for the thousandth time. Vocalists who can do that and do that As well have always impressed me.

As far as Mr. Sting's early forays into "Stinging It", I think a lot of that was a solo career branding effort, taking his compositions that had already been done the Police way and putting the stamp of his new "jazzy" bands on them. And I think he did it quite well on songs like Bring On the Night and Shadows In the Rain. The latter song in particular is recognized by almost everyone as a rocking Blue Turtles song from that first solo studio album, but it takes a minute before most people realize it was originally a fairly forgettable Police number off Zenyatta Mondatta. Stinging It wins the day on that one.

As far as a reunion,I'd love to see the police live in a reunion show, but I'm not going to break the bank doing it.

I don't hate on 'em the way some people seem to, but I do agree they have been pretty much in retread mode in the decade or so since BloodSugarSexMagic.

Very well put. The first two or three Police records are classics, the later stuff blew...but that's true of most bands. 'Bring On The Night' is one my all time favorite live records and concert films. People forget Sting was a Jazz singer before his Policee days.

So far, I haven't seen any tour dates near me. :angry:

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
that's a shame, i've heard soldier field shows are kinda bleck. I don't think i want to go to arena like shows ever. i like the band right on top of me and then hanging out with them at the bar.

Well, I don't think that is even a remote possiblity with a show by The Police. :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
Word in the wind is that in Chicago they will be playing someplace where football is normally played.

Beats the bloody hell out of them playing where National League baseball is normally played.

Newer facility, giant video screen, modern sound system, no falling concrete......I really hope it's at Soldier Field, if it can't be held at a music shed or USCF.