music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CryptviLL @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
AS you said yourself, "what do you see in mainstream hiphop."

50 cent / lil wayne/ etc. are among the artists who cant rap about anything other then sex, guns, drugs, and how amazing they are.

The government is more real than that? If you ask me, I'd say the government is about the least real thing anyone can sing/rap about. What they say, that's what counts. What are they saying that matters? I don't see them really making a difference anywhere. Influencing a generation. For the credit you give them, I'd have figure they're among the great political musical poets. But I don't see it.

QUOTE(CryptviLL @ Feb 25, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
The way I look at it is not bewteen mainstream/underground, its bewteen Hip-Hop and Hip-Pop. 2 different genres.

Rick ross, clipse, three 6 mafia, T.I., juelz = Hip-Pop. Less focus on the lyrics, more on the beat, and the hooks. Very appealing to the average fan / hardcore fan now and then.

The Chronic, perhaps the most influential rap album of all-time (certainly to the West Coast scene) is influential because it of its smooth beats. Not because of their lyrics. Most of the lyrics in that album are a joke. Certainly there are good rap writers, but I don't buy what you say about hip-hop/hip pop. An artist is usually good at writing or good at music, rarely both. Usually, it's good at one, decent at the other. I doubt I can even make a handful of artists that were great at both. Regardless of the genre. Writing does not make one mainstream, one underground.

Just example..

I'm not saying there political geniuses.

I'm saying one time hip hop did have a critical influence on people, now its influence is kids wearing grills, getting crunk.

It doesn't have to be about politics, just good creativity.

I have a song that i just listened to that was about the earth, and how its kept good through the years. Stuff like that.

You probably misunderstood me becuase of my lack of word choice by usuing the word "real". I probably should have used a better word such as important, or something.

Basically, overall, i'm just saying the good rappers, dont rap about junk.

The Chronic, perhaps the most influential rap album of all-time (certainly to the West Coast scene) is influential because it of its smooth beats. Not because of their lyrics. Most of the lyrics in that album are a joke. Certainly there are good rap writers, but I don't buy what you say about hip-hop/hip pop. An artist is usually good at writing or good at music, rarely both. Usually, it's good at one, decent at the other. I doubt I can even make a handful of artists that were great at both. Regardless of the genre. Writing does not make one mainstream, one underground.

Not the most influential of all time, but yes a very good, influencing album.

And honestly, the lyrics on there are 10x the lyrics on the radio nowadays.

DJ's = there for the beat. MC's = there for the words..

Writing does not make one mainstream, one underground.

Correct. Never said it did...

I was never argueing...

Indeed, good cd, and yes The Roots are very solid.

If you like them, allow me to offer you some other excellent choices: J-Live, Nas (he's a must have for any hip hop fan, particularly the cd 'Illmatic'.), Talib Kweli (he's a style similar to Jay-z), Mos def (check youtube for a song "Dollar Day aka Katrina Klap").

Mos def raps about alot of real things - government. Check out the song Dollar day, and check out the collab he did with Immortal Technique entitled Bin Laden.

My post was just to talk about mos def and how he tends to rap/talk about.

was never debating/arguing something.

I also have some of Aesop Rock's cd's (just recently started to get them). I haven't been to interested with them, however i've not sat down and listened to there albums 100%. Just on and off.

But seems like a good amount of people enjoy them...

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 06:18 AM)
are they still being touted? the Reader was constantly pushing them a couple years ago, i heard their cd and thought it totally sucked.

all i've ever heard was labor days, and i love it. I can see his voice being annoying though. I'm not gonna really back them, just a cd i like to throw on.

bobdylan, you make up some great points. I hate the chronic. snoop dogg is weak as s*** on lyrics and so is dre.

I mean, i always liked wu-tang clan and tribe, just recently got into the genre more. Gza-liquid swords might be my fav. hip hop produced album. i don't know where i'm going with this, just that i think there's some real cool stuff in hip hop right now, and theres stuff that's just fun pop music to throw on. I don't really mind either, there's more teeth in the pop hip hop i listen to than the pop rock going on right now.

At AtEaseWeb.com a question is proposed... Is The Arcade Fire better than Radiohead?

OK Computer and Kid A, Radiohead is better. Funeral and Neon Bible tops everything else Radiohead has done though, I'd say.

Anyone care to interject? Or agree?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 27, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
At AtEaseWeb.com a question is proposed... Is The Arcade Fire better than Radiohead?

OK Computer and Kid A, Radiohead is better. Funeral and Neon Bible tops everything else Radiohead has done though, I'd say.

Anyone care to interject? Or agree?

weird i used to post there !!! we spawned the yahtsee music forum from atease!

I'd say radiohead are better, IMO, because i am a fan and

1)The Bends, OKC, and Kid A are all great albums

2) Arcade fire only have one great album

3) Radiohead has been around longer

4) radiohead was able to reach a wider audience.

arcade fire would be better for :

1) their version of "chestnuts roasting"

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
Some of the time, but he also likes some crap. :D

Oh, I ain't the ONLY one likin' some crap!

I got a SPINDLE full of burnt CD-R's to prove that!

:lol: :lolhitting

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
you know, I was just thinking, TC has pretty decent taste in music. ;)

Hmmmm....

....now the crystal ball says "ALMOST everything".

:D

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 02:02 AM)
Better in what way? It all comes down to personal taste, so it's impossible to say who is better.

Now for MY tastes, Radiohead is better. Ten years from now, no one will talk about Arcade Fire, make that 5 years from now.

Is longevity what makes a band great?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
Is longevity what makes a band great?

I consider the Libertines great. They were short lived and have spawned numerous bands that I like, Babyshambles, Dirty Pretty Things, etc.

I think Sublime fans would say the same. Barely 8 years is a relatively short time in the music industry.

Good question though, and I think in some cases, longetivity is a factor in a band's greatness, although, some bands stick around too long and begin producing s***ty music, ie my favorite - Dave Matthews Band. Haven't done a legitamately good album since 2000 when their last session with Steve Lillywhite was leaked. Since then, each album has sucked.