music

hi8is

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:51 AM)
The new JJ is definitely good music for summer, as is his older stuff too.  Just takin a nap on a float in my pool is perfect for that music.  I'll have to check out the new Oasis though, I heard it was just average by some other people.

Exactly, JJ is definately on the mellow side.....and the ladies seem to really dig his music too, so it's good to have it in your collection. ;)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
I'm seeing Dave Matthews tonight; I'm pretty excited about it!    :headbang  :headbang

The show was nothing but awesome. This was the first time I've ever seen Dave live, and it was incredible. They played a good mix of old and stuff from the new album. They ended with Watchtower, and that was awesome. A thunderstorm was rolling in right at the end, and it was really lighting up the sky during the song. The crowd was going crazy with the rain and the band; that made for a fun ending.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
The new White Stripes is pretty bad. The girl sings way to damn much.

I love the new White Stripes album. He throws in a sweet banjo into some of his songs. My Doorbell rocks, Little Ghost is about as good as it gets, Denial Twist is good, Instinct Blues is a pretty good rock blues song, Passive Manipulation has a great sound (though it's only 30 seconds), Take, Take, Take might be the best song on the album, As Ugly as I seem is awesome, and then the single Blue Orchid is good.

You want to talk about pretty bad? Check out the new Coldplay album. What a disappointment.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
Anyone like The Redwalls?

A local band finally getting some attention. Young guys with a very mature sound, kinda soulful, kinda R and B. Check out their web site for a few free tracks you can listen to.

The knock against them I have is that they have an immature sound. It's too generenc and sounds like most music already out there. If a band is to be good, in my mind, they have to have their own sound. The Redwalls don't.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
I love the new White Stripes album. He throws in a sweet banjo into some of his songs. My Doorbell rocks, Little Ghost is about as good as it gets, Denial Twist is good, Instinct Blues is a pretty good rock blues song, Passive Manipulation has a great sound (though it's only 30 seconds), Take, Take, Take might be the best song on the album, As Ugly as I seem is awesome, and then the single Blue Orchid is good.

You want to talk about pretty bad? Check out the new Coldplay album. What a disappointment.

thats what you get when a band steals someone elses sound, shaves anything offensive about it off, and once it sells records remains complacent in the formula so you have every cd sounding the same...those unoriginal scamps don't deserve a penny.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
The knock against them I have is that they have an immature sound. It's too generenc and sounds like most music already out there. If a band is to be good, in my mind, they have to have their own sound. The Redwalls don't.

I'm not in love with The Redwalls either, but I have to disagree with you. It is FAR more important to be good than to be original. How many new bands out there are original any more? None....none in a long time. Everything that new bands are doing has been done and they all have influences that you can directly point to and say: "They sound like a cross between this band and that band". Also, some bands have their own sound but flat out suck.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
I'm not in love with The Redwalls either, but I have to disagree with you.  It is FAR more important to be good than to be original. How many new bands out there are original any more?  None....none in a long time. Everything that new bands are doing has been done and they all have influences that you can directly point to and say:  "They sound like a cross between this band and that band". Also, some bands have their own sound but flat out suck.

I'll agree with that statement. Original is an overstatement, but I think there are a few out there. Radiohead comes to mind.

But there are far too many bands that sound generic and boring. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. They all seem to have the same annoying power chords and voice. I don't know, I can't put my finger on it.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
thats what you get when a band steals someone elses sound, shaves anything offensive about it off, and once it sells records remains complacent in the formula so you have every cd sounding the same...those unoriginal scamps don't deserve a penny.

Well Coldplay's first two albums were very good even though they sounded like carbon copies of Travis.

But I'll agree with the statement out of principle.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)

When did Jack White trade in his guitar for a piano? That's the major complaint I had with the record. With the exception of My Doorbell (Jackson 5?), I basically skip over any song that doesn't have the garage-rock feel to it. How could you forget about Red Rain? That track is pretty sweet.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
I'll agree with that statement. Original is an overstatement, but I think there are a few out there. Radiohead comes to mind.

But there are far too many bands that sound generic and boring. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. They all seem to have the same annoying power chords and voice. I don't know, I can't put my finger on it.

I think I know what you mean and I agree.

I just look for bands to be good, if they happen to have their own sound AND are good, that's just a bonus.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)

How many bands don't do that?........how many of those bands are any good?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:30 AM)
Well Coldplay's first two albums were very good even though they sounded like carbon copies of Travis.

But I'll agree with the statement out of principle.

and who does travis imitate??

and what is great about radiohead is that they started out with clear influences like the Smiths but worked hard to find their own sound...i also think wilco fits that category...though not influenced by the smiths...he really transcended the uncle tupelo-esque themes in cds like being there...then came summerteeth (dreamy) and by yankee hotel foxtrot...they were godly...

Wasn't Summerteeth before Being There? or was that A.M.?

Travis developed their own sound, thank you very much... their first album (Good Feeling) didn't do so great in the U.S. because they hadn't found their voice yet - it was just generic alt-rock with shades of brilliant talent much like Pablo Honey was for Radiohead. Travis found their voice with "The Man Who" and then released a couple albums that were poor xerox copies of that album.

On the other hand, Coldplay started out sounding a lot more like Radiohead than Travis and kind of became a combination of the two acts stylistically although their sound is much larger and wider in scope.

The britpop imitator of the moment is Keane. I thought they were Coldplay, they even kinda look like em.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
Wasn't Summerteeth before Being There? or was that A.M.?

Travis developed their own sound, thank you very much... their first album (Good Feeling) didn't do so great in the U.S. because they hadn't found their voice yet - it was just generic alt-rock with shades of brilliant talent much like Pablo Honey was for Radiohead. Travis found their voice with "The Man Who" and then released a couple albums that were poor xerox copies of that album.

On the other hand, Coldplay started out sounding a lot more like Radiohead than Travis and kind of became a combination of the two acts stylistically although their sound is much larger and wider in scope.

The britpop imitator of the moment is Keane. I thought they were Coldplay, they even kinda look like em.

yes...i consider keane a rip off band of a rip off band...You can't tell me that Travis doesn't sound like Bends era Radiohead...maybe not entirely...but the way the guitars cut in and the way its sang...

I do still respect Travis a whole lot more because their cds have progressed, while coldplay is too scared to get rid of their no-chances formula.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
and who does travis imitate??

and what is great about radiohead is that they started out with clear influences like the Smiths but worked hard to find their own sound...i also think wilco fits that category...though not influenced by the smiths...he really transcended the uncle tupelo-esque themes in cds like being there...then came summerteeth (dreamy) and by yankee hotel foxtrot...they were godly...

Nobody I know of.

I wouldn't say Radiohead was following the Smiths. Pablo Honey is pretty harsh, and The Bends and OK Computer don't sound a hell of a lot like anything the Smiths released. I know Radiohead has had their influences, and while I can't remember them, the Smiths weren't one of the key ones.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
yes...i consider keane a rip off band of a rip off band...You can't tell me that Travis doesn't sound like Bends era Radiohead...maybe not entirely...but the way the guitars cut in and the way its sang...

It doesn't. Nor does Coldplay sound like Radiohead's The Bends. I don't know where people get that. Travis also released their first album before 95's The Bends.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
Nobody I know of.

I wouldn't say Radiohead was following the Smiths. Pablo Honey is pretty harsh, and The Bends and OK Computer don't sound a hell of a lot like anything the Smiths released. I know Radiohead has had their influences, and while I can't remember them, the Smiths weren't one of the key ones.

knives out was a tribute to Johnny Marr...its not the complete sound, its the guitar riffs...which are similar...

and travis' sound sounds a heck of a lot like radiohead to me, more OKC in some parts, but the way the mood of it sounds all too familiar and the way one guitar has a main riff while the other presents an atmosphere...i still like travis...but i'm not gonna say they don't sound like radiohead...and coldplay Absolutely sounds like radiohead. listen to high and dry and tell me it doesn't sound (well, i know it will sound superior) a lot like anything on parachutes, rush of blood, or X and Y...

Got the second cd from my favorite local Minnesota band yesterday, Alva Star (with John Hermanson, former frontman of Story Hill, another local band).

Anyway Escalator (the Alva Star cd) is interesting, I think it will take a few more listens to really get into it. Kind of a fun pop rock.

Their first cd, Alligators in the Lobby is still one of my all time favorite cds. I love it and would recommend it highly.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
knives out was a tribute to Johnny Marr...its not the complete sound, its the guitar riffs...which are similar...

and travis' sound sounds a heck of a lot like radiohead to me, more OKC in some parts, but the way the mood of it sounds all too familiar and the way one guitar has a main riff while the other presents an atmosphere...i still like travis...but i'm not gonna say they don't sound like radiohead...and coldplay Absolutely sounds like radiohead. listen to high and dry and tell me it doesn't sound (well, i know it will sound superior) a lot like anything on parachutes, rush of blood, or X and Y...

Radiohead has never sounded like the Smiths, nor has Coldplay ever sounded like Radiohead with the exception of Lurgee and Yellow. People who start saying such and such band is just copying a band are complete fanboys and need to learn that being influenced by a band doesn't mean you are copying them.

bollocks...

Pablo honey's guitar riffs were greatly influenced by the smiths...or should i have just said johnny marr from the beginning...

coldplay has absolutely stolen from radiohead...its just been shaved down to be less offensive, but the guitar riffs in shiver, yellow, spies...all sound like radiohead...and all of coldplays later stuff still sounds like parachutes...

therefore...coldplay are a bunch of wimps who refuse to take any chances in their music and have only gotten to where they are by making radiohead-lite music.