music

hi8is

I actually like Coldplay. Always have been a fan.

Got their single 'Speed of Sound' from my work at the radio station. I have my own shows, so its fun to play the single.

I also like "Clocks", "Yellow", and "Trouble".

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seether - "Karma and Effect"

This CD just gets it done, plain and simple! Been listening to it alot lately, great to hear nothing but serious rock on a CD from these guys, and Shauns voice is unmistakeable.

just weird and not good :rolly

whose actually listened to Kid A the whole way through and just said its weird. Theres so much beauty in a lot of music thats lost because people just want a catchy hook.

music would never progress if everyband was like coldplay, and we'd get bored incredibly quick

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:53 PM)
Seether - "Karma and Effect"

This CD just gets it done, plain and simple! Been listening to it alot lately, great to hear nothing but serious rock on a CD from these guys, and Shauns voice is unmistakeable.

I will always despise Seether. One of my good friends was in that band for a little bit and those guys we're the biggest f***ing douchebags in general and too him. f*** them.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
Travis' first album "Good Feeling" came up in 1996 or 1997, after The Bends.

Their breakout single in the UK was "All I wanna Do is Rock" which was a lot better in its original form as "All I wanna Do is f***"

Travis had an "album" released in 1994. Two songs on it. I guess that's not quite an album, but it has always been listed as one.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
knives out was a tribute to Johnny Marr...its not the complete sound, its the guitar riffs...which are similar...

and travis' sound sounds a heck of a lot like radiohead to me, more OKC in some parts, but the way the mood of it sounds all too familiar and the way one guitar has a main riff while the other presents an atmosphere...i still like travis...but i'm not gonna say they don't sound like radiohead...and coldplay Absolutely sounds like radiohead. listen to high and dry and tell me it doesn't sound (well, i know it will sound superior) a lot like anything on parachutes, rush of blood, or X and Y...

One song isn't ripping a band off.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)

whose actually listened to Kid A the whole way through and just said its weird. Theres so much beauty in a lot of music thats lost because people just want a catchy hook.

music would never progress if everyband was like coldplay, and we'd get bored incredibly quick

I did. The same with Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief. I was a huge Radiohead fan through the 90s. You wanna talk about a band that lost the hook in beauty - look at Sigur Ros, look at Massive Attack, look at about 100 different bands that too many navel gazing indie kids aren't because they're supposed to like Radiohead.

QUOTE(Cali @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
I will always despise Seether. One of my good friends was in that band for a little bit and those guys we're the biggest f***ing douchebags in general and too him. f*** them.

Aren't those the post grunge dudes whose singer sounds like Gavin Rosedale, the dude from Puddle of Mud and K..k..kurt C. ?

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 06:03 AM)

I wasn't neccesarily referring to Radiohead. Although I enjoy their music, I think they're overrated. I do feel what you're saying about the progression of music though.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

Me and the modern age...keeping up with the times I am!

Currently listening to in a non-stop frenzy:

Mississippi Fred McDowell - S/T

Mississippi Fred McDowell - I do not play no rock and roll

Blind Willie McTell - Atlanta 12 String

Blind Willie McTell - The Last Session

Blind Willie Johnson - The Complete Blind Willie Johnson

Son House - The The Original Delta Blues

Nobody could convey a feeling as well as McTell.

Johnson was downright vicious at times and was one of the most powerful voices ever, you could feel the mans pain.

McDowell could play a slide guitar unlike anybody else, and his "Red Cross Store" is so dang intense! To be in his 60's and playing as fierce as he did is a dream to me.

Edited by Kid Gleason

Just (legally) downloaded Sugarland's Twice the Speed of Life

It's a nice fluffy sweet summer cd--lots of good tunes that will cheer you up. And I really like the unique voice of their lead singer.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
I did. The same with Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief. I was a huge Radiohead fan through the 90s. You wanna talk about a band that lost the hook in beauty - look at Sigur Ros, look at Massive Attack, look at about 100 different bands that too many navel gazing indie kids aren't because they're supposed to like Radiohead.

Radiohead fans don't like Sigur Ros? Thats news to me and a whole bunch of radiohead fans...

at the ateaseweb message boards (a radiohead site) 2 sigur ros albums were rated in the top 100 albums of all time...

so what are you talking about?

going back to the White Stripes. I bought the album the day it came out, and I was weirded out by it. So much different from what I expected. So much different from their single 'Blue Ochrid'

But I was intrigued enough by the album to play it again the next day, and the next day, and the album really grew on me, and pretty much does not leave my cd player

The new Transplants CD is out today. I personally got it last week and have been listening to it non-stop for the past several days and I can honestly say that it kicks major ass.

This album seems to have a lot more Rob Aston rapping and less Ska. Also they have incorporated a little R&B into a few tracks which is an unbelievable mix. Tim Armstron's voice is as odd as ever and dominates the music.

On my way to work today I was thinking about starting a thread like this. Being a former DJ it always intrigues me to find new music and what other people like.

My suggestion for the year/month/day/minute?

Anything by Ken Andrews, writer/producer of Failure, The Replicants, Year of the Rabbit, and On. Also a collaborative artist with Tool, Blinker the Star, Perfect Circle, etc.. If you havent heard of the band Failure(dont feel bad if you havent) check out the album "Fantastic Planet", its a concept album of a french cartoon(a cartoon that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever) and it has to be one of the best albums I have.

recently his solo project "On" has really drawn me in. also another side project "Year of the Rabbit" really rocks, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes some moody alternative rock. www.kenandrews.com is where you can find out about what he is about, and also listen to a killer hook that really defines what his music sounds like.

Check it out, I dont think it will dissapoint you.

And my 1A choice is Blinker the Star. I have heard about these guys for a long time, and finally got around to listening to the music. Me likey. Me likey alot.

A friend of mine told me that Billy Corgan took out a FULL page ad in today's Trib. In it he says, among other things, that he wants to get The Smashing Pumpkins back together. I don't really care about Billy or the Pumpkins, but I found that to be an interesting way of trying to communicate with your ex-band mates.

Anyone else see this?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
A friend of mine told me that Billy Corgan took out a FULL page ad in today's Trib.  In it he says, among other things, that he wants to get The Smashing Pumpkins back together. I don't really care about Billy or the Pumpkins, but I found that to be an interesting way of trying to communicate with your ex-band mates.

Anyone else see this?

Yeah, it's on the front page of the Trib Website and you can actually view the ad.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
A friend of mine told me that Billy Corgan took out a FULL page ad in today's Trib.  In it he says, among other things, that he wants to get The Smashing Pumpkins back together. I don't really care about Billy or the Pumpkins, but I found that to be an interesting way of trying to communicate with your ex-band mates.

Anyone else see this?

That is really wierd considering that Corgan is releasing (or already released) his solo album soon. You would think he would put his focus into that.

I hope the pumpkins dont turn into some The Who parody, going on tour everytime a bandmate runs out of money(cough cough, roger daltrey, cough cough).

I always think its a shame when a band has their "last concert ever" and pimps hundreds of people out of 1000 dollar tickets (to the metro, no less) and turns around 5 years later and gets back together. It really taints their "last show ever", and makes it seem like a farce.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)

Anyone else see this?

The guy is such a f***ing putz. He really seems to think he is more to the music landscape than he really is. Like we really give a f*** about him thta much? Man, I can't stand the guy, and he is nothing more than a local star. The rest of the country really doesn't care all that much about him, and the rest of the world REALLY doesn't. The thing is, Chicago puts out so few Top 10 acts (popular stuff here) of this sort, that when we do, we seem to think the bands are more important than they really are.

To match the fact that the guy is a raging Cub fan, he is also an arrogant prick and a mediocre songwriter and a lowsy guitarist.

What a shmuck.