music

hi8is

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
The guy is such a f***ing putz. He really seems to think he is more to the music landscape than he really is. Like we really give a f*** about him thta much? Man, I can't stand the guy, and he is nothing more than a local star. The rest of the country really doesn't care all that much about him, and the rest of the world REALLY doesn't. The thing is, Chicago puts out so few Top 10 acts (popular stuff here) of this sort, that when we do, we seem to think the bands are more important than they really are.

To match the fact that the guy is a raging Cub fan, he is also an arrogant prick and a mediocre songwriter and a lowsy guitarist.

What a shmuck.

Billy Corgan is alot of things. Arrogant, self centered, raging Cub fan. But a mediocre songwriter and lowsy guitarist, and nothing more than a local star?

The Pumpkins were alot more than just local stars. I dont even like the pumpkins all that much, but they were a hell of alot more than just local stars.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Would anyone recommend any of the following:

Schoolyard Heroes

Shout out Louds

the Go! Team

I don't know what music you like but i would highly recommend the Go! team...

too bad it will be hard for them to get a US release

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
The guy is such a f***ing putz. He really seems to think he is more to the music landscape than he really is. Like we really give a f*** about him thta much? Man, I can't stand the guy, and he is nothing more than a local star. The rest of the country really doesn't care all that much about him, and the rest of the world REALLY doesn't. The thing is, Chicago puts out so few Top 10 acts (popular stuff here) of this sort, that when we do, we seem to think the bands are more important than they really are.

To match the fact that the guy is a raging Cub fan, he is also an arrogant prick and a mediocre songwriter and a lowsy guitarist.

What a shmuck.

The Smashing Pumpkins are held in the highest regard in europe and much of the US...Siamese Dream and Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness are considered some of the best albums of the 90s, and some consider them some of the best albums of all time.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)

What a shmuck.

My only knock on the guy is that he is supposedly a major control freak. Those supposed 'Pumpkins' albums are really the Billy Corgan experience. He played everything in the studio on most of the tracks because he was never really satisfied with the way the other members did it. The rest of them were just around for touring. I wonder what it really is that he misses about the Pumpkins.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
My only knock on the guy is that he is supposedly a major control freak. Those supposed 'Pumpkins' albums are really the Billy Corgan experience. He played everything in the studio on most of the tracks because he was never really satisfied with the way the other members did it. The rest of them were just around for touring. I wonder what it really is that he misses about the Pumpkins.

Im guessing it is the attention. He probably realized he will never have the same spotlight as a solo artist or fronting Zwan.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
Im guessing it is the attention.  He probably realized he will never have the same spotlight as a solo artist or fronting Zwan.

I would actually agree with you, if your definition of "attention" is "more money".

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
I would actually agree with you, if your definition of "attention" is "more money".

I wouldnt think Billy would be the one needing the money, maybe Iha or the orginal chick bassist(cannot remember her name), but not Billy. The guy has money all over the place from all of his different music outlets(producing, writing, royalties, studio musician). I think this is all about stroking his ego.

It is about Ego. He's been replaced as indie god and its eating him up.

It seems like the only time you hear from him is when he seems to think that bands like Weezer are becoming a bigger influence than the Pumpkins.

Personally, I think the best thing he ever put out was his Fleetwood Mac cover.

I thought the best song they came out with was the last song, It was called "Untitled" for some time, and then re-named. Not sure what it was re-named. It was a beautiful acoustic song, sounded like somethign from Gish.

Machina is pretty kick ass, there are some really awesome songs on that double disc. There are some flops too.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
The Smashing Pumpkins are held in the highest regard in europe and much of the US...Siamese Dream and Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness are considered some of the best albums of the 90s, and some consider them some of the best albums of all time.

These people are deaf.

As for the full page ad, someone run over Corgan with a bus. I'm sick and tired of his whiny ass.

I'm not a Billy Corgan fan myself, I always thought that "Tonight Tonight" sounded a lot like a song an 8 year old would write who ran out of words when he got to the chorus.

Tonight! Tonight! Tonight! Tonight! Tonight!

Please.

Spelling error corrected. Thank you.

Edited by winodj

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
Would anyone recommend any of the following:

Schoolyard Heroes

Shout out Louds

the Go! Team

I'm into the Shout Out Louds, a very good promising band from Scandanavia. Highly recommended.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
I'm not a Billy Corgan fan myself, I always thought that "Tonight Tonight" sounded a lot like a song an 8 year old would write who ran out of words when he got to the chorus.

Tonight! Tonight! Tonight! Tonight! Tonight!

Please.

Spelling error corrected. Thank you.

..and we must never for get: "today is, today is, today is the greatest day I have ever know."

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
i like this thread...

I'm going to modest mouse tonight at the Lakefront pavillion, i'll tell you all whether its a good venue when i get back

that was the best show i've ever been to. Great place to see a show and if you can find a band you like take advantage of it. The skyline behind the stage is awesome. Isaac and co. were on top of things tonight...pretty good setlist but a few songs i absolutely was thrilled to here (ex. broke, 3rd planet, tiny cities made of ashes)

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 01:25 AM)
that was the best show i've ever been to. Great place to see a show and if you can find a band  you like take advantage of it. The skyline behind the stage is awesome. Isaac and co. were on top of things tonight...pretty good setlist but a few songs i absolutely was thrilled to here (ex. broke, 3rd planet, tiny cities made of ashes)

Im not a big Modest Mouse fan, but I am glad to hear that the venue is cool. 311 is playing there next month, I am thinking about trying to score some tickets even though it is sold out.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
Im not a big Modest Mouse fan, but I am glad to hear that the venue is cool. 311 is playing there next month, I am thinking about trying to score some tickets even though it is sold out.

walking up the scalpers were offering tickets that were less then i paid for....(no service charge)

and considering it is gen ad i was kind of pissed...

311 is so awesome live, have fun there...try to go to the south end of the stage because then the band is playing with the city as its backdrop...its so breathtaking...

Modest mouse was amazing too...let me plug that...that was the best show i've been to in a long long time and i've been to some good ones recently... best show since radiohead at grant park where they broke out true love waits

• 2 weeks later...

i just got stars - set yourself on fire and okkervil river - black sheep boy

i saw okkervil river when i saw the decemberists and knew of stars through broken social scene...i am pleased with both...got them from a radiohead message board.